What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Press are f**ked

Old Timer

Coach
I know there is probably a thread somewhere that covers this so if gets merged fine but I am so appalled by the constant stupidity in this game at almost all levels I had to say something.
'
You would think the press would get things correct when publishing such personal and vivid accounts of people's lives and emotions.

Brian Johnson was a great player and ambassador for our club and the game as a whole and his wife has let us have further insight to a terrible tragedy in an attempt to help others.

I hope they write and publish a full apology to her for the error.

Wife writes heartbreaking letters to ex-footballer suffering dementia

By Ashley Kent
a day ago
FShareTTweetBEmail
Letters written by Karen Johnson to her husband, ex-footballer Brian, have been shared by the Sydney Morning Herald, highlighting the personal impact of dementia on a loved one.

Brian Johnson was a premiership winning fullback for St George before he suffered the cruel disease for over a decade.

He died in 2016 at the young age of 59.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F4f7e080c-374d-44d4-a623-745bca5195e5

Paul Mares tackles St. George's Brian Johnson, 1989. (Steven Holland/Fairfax Media)

Karen believes her beloved husband suffered CTE, a progressive degenerative disease of the brain. However, the only way of a sure diagnosis is via autopsy, which Karen couldn't bring herself to do when Brian passed.

Brian formerly worked as the head coach at the now defunct Australian Institute of Sport Rugby League program, before it became too hard to work face to face and he changed to working from home. That's when Karen began writing her letters.

They began as an outlet for Karen to write down her frustrations with watching her once strong and smart husband lose himself, and turned into a series of 40 letters which Karen often still reads to keep memories fresh.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fb2e9f84a-bd7c-40b4-a5e1-f8d3070d08c8

Brian Johnson, 1982. (Fairfax Media)
Football related concussions and subsequent dementia or Alzheimer's is never far from the news with Boyd Cordner suffering a hefty head knock this year which resulted in his subsequent absence from the final two games of the State of Origin series.

Some experts have gone so far as to say Cordner should retire due to his history of concussions.

Below is one of the 40 letters Karen penned to her husband, eloquently portraying the extremely sad, yet often neglected story of the loved ones who live with dementia.

"Dear Brian,

Today we had a fight. Fighting isn't something we do very often and as usual 5 minutes after it is over we are both apologising and having a cuddle. It really is my fault though. I am so intolerant of the little things. The things I know shouldn't matter seem to take over my world.

"You wanted to help me hang out the washing.

"Once you started working from home – about 13 years ago – you took over doing the washing. It was much easier than me trying to fit it in before and after work or on weekends. Now you feel like I have stolen a job off you – something you could always do and you tell everyone that now I won't let you do it – that I think you're useless. I know it makes you mad.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F8b2f45e8-2731-4e6b-b370-e092eee03dba

Karen Johnson with husband Brian Johnson. (Fairfax Media)
"It was one of the first things noticeable about the effects of Alzheimer's on your ability to plan and problem solve. Who would have thought you need planning and problem solving skills to hang out the washing! You couldn't sort the colours from the whites; you couldn't work out where to turn the dial on the machine to start the cycle; you kept lifting your head under the clothes line and cutting your scalp on the supports; you hung clothes by one peg secured anywhere on the garment and stretched it; you hung dirty clothes on the line; you dropped freshly washed clothes on the ground and stood on them and they needed washing again; you forgot to hang them out at all; you brought in wet clothes immediately after they had been hung out; you carried the basket to the line forgot why you were there….

"I know I should let you do it anyway and then fix it later – and I have tried to do that – but you get so frustrated and upset it just doesn't seem worth it at all. I hate setting you up to fail and most of the time I am so tired the thought of redoing a job makes me want to cry.

"Today you were just jamming pegs on the line – so hard one of them broke – you weren't even bothering to put clothes with them. You seemed to think you were helping so I tried to let you get on with that and hung the clothes myself. When it was finished you were so cross with me for not allowing you to help that you stormed off into the house.

"You told me that I have to let you practise so you can get better at it. I told you that you do the same things over and over again every day – like open the car door – but it doesn't mean you can remember how to do it next time. I can't explain to you that your brain is withering away and taking even the smallest of your skills with it. You think you are beating this hideous disease and I cannot tell you that you are not.

"I am so sorry for being so intolerant. I want to be the saintly carer that people seem to think I am but I am just an inadequate selfish wife who wants her clever, strong husband back."

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

goldiesaintz

Juniors
True that, OT.
I guess we all have moments where we might not have checked things out as well as we should have but in such a touchy circumstance, you would expect the journalist to qualify their information first.
l remember Veterans Affairs ringing my mother in Ballina asking to speak with my father, about a year and a half after he had passed away.

Dragsters

First Grade
The F.ckwits can’t even get the friggin pictures right.
The 1st picture is of Brian Johnston a No.3 Centre & our former CEO
The 2nd picture is of Brian Johnson a No.1 Fullback & whom this story is about.
What an absolute media Moron & such diabolical proof editing.

Yet another example of the hideously inept journalism we are forced to endure these days .

Just lazy...

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All, yes a mistake was made and I’m sure the Journalist ( not sure if male/female) regrets the situation. It was a heart felt story and highlighted foremost what a lovely person Karen Johnson is.

Acknowledging that, the ‘two Brian’s’ were and are both terrific players and people. They were both very fast and had similar surnames, looks and build; played in similar era. I know over the years mistaken identity in photos etc has occurred.

Maybe the journalist was under pressure to submit the story ( a heart felt one at that) and the mistake was obviously inadvertent.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I know there is probably a thread somewhere that covers this so if gets merged fine but I am so appalled by the constant stupidity in this game at almost all levels I had to say something.
'
You would think the press would get things correct when publishing such personal and vivid accounts of people's lives and emotions.

Brian Johnson was a great player and ambassador for our club and the game as a whole and his wife has let us have further insight to a terrible tragedy in an attempt to help others.

I hope they write and publish a full apology to her for the error.

Wife writes heartbreaking letters to ex-footballer suffering dementia

By Ashley Kent
a day ago
FShareTTweetBEmail
Letters written by Karen Johnson to her husband, ex-footballer Brian, have been shared by the Sydney Morning Herald, highlighting the personal impact of dementia on a loved one.

Brian Johnson was a premiership winning fullback for St George before he suffered the cruel disease for over a decade.

He died in 2016 at the young age of 59.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F4f7e080c-374d-44d4-a623-745bca5195e5

Paul Mares tackles St. George's Brian Johnson, 1989. (Steven Holland/Fairfax Media)

Karen believes her beloved husband suffered CTE, a progressive degenerative disease of the brain. However, the only way of a sure diagnosis is via autopsy, which Karen couldn't bring herself to do when Brian passed.

Brian formerly worked as the head coach at the now defunct Australian Institute of Sport Rugby League program, before it became too hard to work face to face and he changed to working from home. That's when Karen began writing her letters.

They began as an outlet for Karen to write down her frustrations with watching her once strong and smart husband lose himself, and turned into a series of 40 letters which Karen often still reads to keep memories fresh.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fb2e9f84a-bd7c-40b4-a5e1-f8d3070d08c8

Brian Johnson, 1982. (Fairfax Media)
Football related concussions and subsequent dementia or Alzheimer's is never far from the news with Boyd Cordner suffering a hefty head knock this year which resulted in his subsequent absence from the final two games of the State of Origin series.

Some experts have gone so far as to say Cordner should retire due to his history of concussions.

Below is one of the 40 letters Karen penned to her husband, eloquently portraying the extremely sad, yet often neglected story of the loved ones who live with dementia.

"Dear Brian,

Today we had a fight. Fighting isn't something we do very often and as usual 5 minutes after it is over we are both apologising and having a cuddle. It really is my fault though. I am so intolerant of the little things. The things I know shouldn't matter seem to take over my world.

"You wanted to help me hang out the washing.

"Once you started working from home – about 13 years ago – you took over doing the washing. It was much easier than me trying to fit it in before and after work or on weekends. Now you feel like I have stolen a job off you – something you could always do and you tell everyone that now I won't let you do it – that I think you're useless. I know it makes you mad.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F8b2f45e8-2731-4e6b-b370-e092eee03dba

Karen Johnson with husband Brian Johnson. (Fairfax Media)
"It was one of the first things noticeable about the effects of Alzheimer's on your ability to plan and problem solve. Who would have thought you need planning and problem solving skills to hang out the washing! You couldn't sort the colours from the whites; you couldn't work out where to turn the dial on the machine to start the cycle; you kept lifting your head under the clothes line and cutting your scalp on the supports; you hung clothes by one peg secured anywhere on the garment and stretched it; you hung dirty clothes on the line; you dropped freshly washed clothes on the ground and stood on them and they needed washing again; you forgot to hang them out at all; you brought in wet clothes immediately after they had been hung out; you carried the basket to the line forgot why you were there….

"I know I should let you do it anyway and then fix it later – and I have tried to do that – but you get so frustrated and upset it just doesn't seem worth it at all. I hate setting you up to fail and most of the time I am so tired the thought of redoing a job makes me want to cry.

"Today you were just jamming pegs on the line – so hard one of them broke – you weren't even bothering to put clothes with them. You seemed to think you were helping so I tried to let you get on with that and hung the clothes myself. When it was finished you were so cross with me for not allowing you to help that you stormed off into the house.

"You told me that I have to let you practise so you can get better at it. I told you that you do the same things over and over again every day – like open the car door – but it doesn't mean you can remember how to do it next time. I can't explain to you that your brain is withering away and taking even the smallest of your skills with it. You think you are beating this hideous disease and I cannot tell you that you are not.

"I am so sorry for being so intolerant. I want to be the saintly carer that people seem to think I am but I am just an inadequate selfish wife who wants her clever, strong husband back."

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

Help us out here OT, outside of the photo stuff up, what exactly is “f**ked” about this?

Finally the press are giving more light to CTE, and highlighting the impact it has on families of those suffering..

It’s a positive thing.

Yes, they got one photo wrong, but we’re talking about two players who played in the same decade for the same team over 30 years ago, differentiated by one letter difference. It’s extremely easy to see how the mistake could have been made.

Plenty of people mistake Johnson for Johnston every day of the week, and if I recall correctly even people on here have confused the two Brians.

The overall message in this article is positive, not “f**ked”.

There was nothing sinister in what they did.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Help us out here OT, outside of the photo stuff up, what exactly is “f**ked” about this?

Finally the press are giving more light to CTE, and highlighting the impact it has on families of those suffering..

It’s a positive thing.

Yes, they got one photo wrong, but we’re talking about two players who played in the same decade for the same team over 30 years ago, differentiated by one letter difference. It’s extremely easy to see how the mistake could have been made.

Plenty of people mistake Johnson for Johnston every day of the week, and if I recall correctly even people on here have confused the two Brians.

Wrong on that one Muzby - usually I find your posts amusing but nope you're wrong on this one

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Wrong on that one Muzby - usually I find your posts amusing but nope you're wrong on this one
I’m not trying to be funny.

How am I “wrong”? Outside of the picture, what is so “f**ked” about the article?

I think it’s a great move to highlight the long term issue of head knocks & helps ensure that Johnson’s early passing can help others.

Old Timer

Coach

It’s a positive thing.

muzby the photo stuff up is horrendous and reeks of sloppy, sloppy journalism and piss poor proof reading.

I agree that it is a good thing that CTE is being given prominence and that is due to someone giving a most personal account of the most private thoughts she could possibly have so due respect needs to be given and all care taken.

There was a duty of care for the press to get the all the information correct including the photos and how must Karen and her family feel seeing a heartfelt story about her husband that she has given the press and the 1st photo in the article is not her husband.

Regardless of the names being similar the simple fact is they posted 2 photos of different people and despite all the apologists claims the 2 players look nothing alike and are easily distinguishable.

They should have proof read the article and seen the mistake FFS blind Freddy could have seen it and obviously they didn't send the article to Karen before printing it. Not sure they did but if they interviewed Karen in her home that would make the stuff up even worse.

The article clearly makes the point Johnno was a premiership winning fullback (hello that's the no 1 jersey) for the club and any research shows he played 79 - 85 but the article clearly shows a player in the number 3 jumper playing centre in 1989 long after Johnno finished at the club.

No excuses the press are f**ked but the content of the article other than the photos is an important message I agree and a little more "sincerity" on the press's part could have avoided the mistake.

In your last line you seem to be implying that I think the press did something sinister which is not correct I simply said they are f**ked.

As I said they should print an apology for their mistake and reprint the article with the correct photos but no doubt they won't.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
muzby the photo stuff up is horrendous and reeks of sloppy, sloppy journalism and piss poor proof reading.

I agree that it is a good thing that CTE is being given prominence and that is due to someone giving a most personal account of the most private thoughts she could possibly have so due respect needs to be given and all care taken.

There was a duty of care for the press to get the all the information correct including the photos and how must Karen and her family feel seeing a heartfelt story about her husband that she has given the press and the 1st photo in the article is not her husband.

Regardless of the names being similar the simple fact is they posted 2 photos of different people and despite all the apologists claims the 2 players look nothing alike and are easily distinguishable.

They should have proof read the article and seen the mistake FFS blind Freddy could have seen it and obviously they didn't send the article to Karen before printing it. Not sure they did but if they interviewed Karen in her home that would make the stuff up even worse.

The article clearly makes the point Johnno was a premiership winning fullback (hello that's the no 1 jersey) for the club and any research shows he played 79 - 85 but the article clearly shows a player in the number 3 jumper playing centre in 1989 long after Johnno finished at the club.

No excuses the press are f**ked but the content of the article other than the photos is an important message I agree and a little more "sincerity" on the press's part could have avoided the mistake.

In your last line you seem to be implying that I think the press did something sinister which is not correct I simply said they are f**ked.

As I said they should print an apology for their mistake and reprint the article with the correct photos but no doubt they won't.
I really think you’re missing the big issue.

The media should be applauded for getting Mrs Johnson’s message out there & making a difference, not complaining about small mix up which really wasn’t “f**ked” at all.

This wouldn’t be the first time anyone has confused the two Brian’s, and really isn’t the hand wringing issue you seem to think it is.

But thanks for posting the article, I took a lot out of Mrs Johnson’s letters, helps highlight the pain for those living with those suffering from dementia.

Have a great night OT.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hi All, yes a mistake was made and I’m sure the Journalist ( not sure if male/female) regrets the situation. It was a heart felt story and highlighted foremost what a lovely person Karen Johnson is.

Acknowledging that, the ‘two Brian’s’ were and are both terrific players and people. They were both very fast and had similar surnames, looks and build; played in similar era. I know over the years mistaken identity in photos etc has occurred.

Maybe the journalist was under pressure to submit the story ( a heart felt one at that) and the mistake was obviously inadvertent.
It's unfortunate but I think you're right. The sloppy reporting was most likely due to the much publicised cutbacks.

For all we know the author has already apologised privately.

All well and good to point out the error, but those who don't have a personal family connection need to keep their outrage in check.

The outrage does kind of miss the point of the article's intended message.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I am not sure anyone is outraged, but it is sloppy journalism.

I have been involved in a lot of funerals. Death is a very sensitive area. If you are wise you check, recheck and check again. It is a time you do what it takes to avoid any mistakes.

Old Timer

Coach
I am not sure anyone is outraged, but it is sloppy journalism.

I have been involved in a lot of funerals. Death is a very sensitive area. If you are wise you check, recheck and check again. It is a time you do what it takes to avoid any mistakes.
Well said Kiama Saint

If it was so important to run the article then it was equally important to get it factually correct due to the sensitivity of the subject and the fact someone died.

A very simple check of records would have shown the discrepancy so it is sloppy and there are no excuses.

For the record I can’t believe that people think that they look that much alike I think that is just a cop out and any decent proof reader should have picked it up.

I am not outraged but I am pissed off that “close enough was good enough” considering everyone in here including me and especially the press is of the opinion that the subject matter is important and worthy of reporting.

Latest posts