What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The press conference

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Inglis only plays for QLD because of his Storm contract. Plus Cam Smith was Titans bound before the extras kicked in.

Inglis playing for NSW and Smith playing for the Titans - and maybe Friend at the Cowpats - you reckon that doesn't change the comp and Origin?

Of course they were....

Bahahahahahahahahaha

Ulysseus

Bench
The ATO are now interested, i wonder if the players will cooperate with them????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Many people here had a go at me when I said this would happen, but surely everyone knew that was going to eventuate.
As I stated before, you may be able to brush off Deloitte, but lets see them refuse an interview with the ATO.

In all honesty, it is better for all concerned if they front the ATO before the ATO "requests an individual assessment session".
When you see that in your letterbox, then its too late.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Google knows the story.........
image.php

Near enough to two months and STILL waiting on a REAL apology.

Kinda lookin a bit silly now arnt ya considering he has been cleared?

Ulysseus

Bench
Because the cars, boat etc are a fringe benefit and therefore taxable. If a player mentions these on their return it it matched against info provided by their employer. You reckon a dumb-as-dogsh*t- twat like Inglis would remember to include his boat?

The payments coming through the charity that were invoiced as consultancy fees for example - that's fraud.

There have been things thrown up that are clearly fraud. The ATO love things like that.

This.

Seriously, if they saw nothing wrong with signing multiple contracts then I very much doubt they saw nothing wrong with omitting certain details from the returns every year.

As for the "can the NRL see their tax returns?", well, maybe after this little incident it would not surprise me if that rule suddenly changes to lessen the possibility of this happening again.

Ulysseus

Bench
Kinda lookin a bit silly now arnt ya considering he has been cleared?

Mate, I am taking parts of all this with a grain of salt.
If Bennett had a direct hand in Poores contractual arrangements at Saints, and a few other clubs coaches also have extensive involvement in them, then I am just finding it hard to believe that he knew absolutely nada.
Realistically he is in a lose-lose situation:
If he knew, he is scum
If he didn't know, he is top shelf ignoramus

Nothing illegal about being ignorant though................ ask any of the 13 named.

bartman

Immortal
Much better press conference than that So-You-Think-You-Can-Dance-audition choreographed walk across the ground led by Bellamy with the Storm players three months ago.

This one actually cut to the heart of the issue - naming and shaming - rather than the sham of "standing united" and pretending that your club hasn't been illegal up to its eyeballs.

The players' failure to participate in the investigation is despicable, down to every last member of the squad. Scum the lot of them, even the 12 who didn't get illegal top-ups and didn't have the guts to clear their names.

Ulysseus

Bench
Watching Gallop just then, I am confused, firstly he says that pay cuts needed to be mutual between player and club, and did not say they were off the table.
THEN he states that it is also about a defined value due to other clubs being effectively frozen out of serious bidding for these players in the past.

This just made that issue as clear as mud.

bartman

Immortal
I think he'd be hard pressed to justify accepting a new contract for the top four that is say $50K less than the highest of their multiple contracts.

Even so that just saves the Storm $200K - not enough to keep all four and stay under the cap, even with 21 nuffies making up the rest of their proposed 2011 squad.

Loudstrat

Coach
21 nuffies at $50k each = $1050000

Leaves $750k each for the fab four.

Ok - extreme, but trim them down to 500k leaves only $1 million to spread around 21 players.

In other words - see NQ's roster with Thurston, or the Knights with Joey in his latter days. Nowhere near the top. Para has shed plenty to keep Hayne who is nearing that level. Affected are Kingston, Mateo, Inu, Cayless, Hindmarsh, Kris Keating, Kingston, Grothe - about a third of the roster.

Unless it's the Fab Four with the bears reggies, the Storm are in huge trouble keeping them.

And this is clogging up the player market - which is why Hartigan sacked the board because their petty mindedness was rogering the comp as well!

Clubs are hanging off to see which one of the fab 4 are going to blink first. As a result, other Storm refugees may find it hard to get a deal, because of the old "if we don't get Inglis then we'll go for Blair" mentality. And this roadblock is clogging up movements at other clubs.

There has to be change at the high end of Melbourne's roster - and quick.

Big Pete

Referee
Inglis only plays for QLD because of his Storm contract. Plus Cam Smith was Titans bound before the extras kicked in.

Inglis playing for NSW and Smith playing for the Titans - and maybe Friend at the Cowpats - you reckon that doesn't change the comp and Origin?

Or alternatively Inglis never plays first grade football and goes down the slippery slope he was before the Storm signed him and set him straight.

I've got nothing against the players, they were all supreme talents and deserved their place in the Origin arena and they smashed your state over and over and over and over and over again.

stormbati

Bench
No matter the outcome, you bludgers will never be happy. Even if the ATO investigation finds nothing.
Players going to other clubs would mean paycuts because the Storm aren't partially paying for anyone. So its either paycut at the Storm, or paycut somewhere else.

_Johnsy

Referee
Thats the point you are missing stormbati.

If one of the current players mentioned in the liist of 13 were up for contract renewal, with melbourne breaching the cap by paying them "extras" effectively this disadvantaged every other club who was considering signing them.

Not a difficult concept.

I notice you have referred to people not happy with the storm as "bludgers", projecting on to others again I see. Don't worry unemploment rate is tipped to drop, hang in there champ. ;-)

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Or alternatively Inglis never plays first grade football and goes down the slippery slope he was before the Storm signed him and set him straight.

I've got nothing against the players, they were all supreme talents and deserved their place in the Origin arena and they smashed your state over and over and over and over and over again.

So if Melbourne didn't pick him up, no one would have?

Are you that stupid?

He would have been in the Knights system. And not in this drama.

Melbourne was his only hope - :lol::lol: Some of the rubbish that you twats think of to defend salary cap cheats....!

Perth Red

Post Whore
why have the 4 directors been sacked? Is this a bad thing, wasn't they the ones that would hopefully take over the Storm and get News out of the picture?

Loudstrat

Coach
No. They have been sacked because the club is not doing anything to get under the cap, and instead are taking the NRL to court. This is also holding up all playr negs for next year.

Big Pete

Referee
Yet you still think Inglis would've become the exact same player at Newcastle despite Inglis admitting the move up north saved him from ruin?

Latest posts