What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The question not Marshal/Reynolds? it’s Marshal/Brooks?

WA Tiger

Bench
It’s like I’m the only person watching Luke Brooks closely this year and last year. Alarming is the word that comes to mind. FIRST His kicks into the goal area on the last tackle ...1 and this happens a lot ..he kind of runs and kicks at the same time and the kick dribbles way short of the try line because he’s kind of run over the ball as he kicks it and its an easy pick up for the opposition.2 He’s got two or three players in front of him and he just can not thread the needle. It’s like he doesn’t really look because its iether again just too short or is picked up easily or hits an opposition player...check out joshs first attempt at a try assist on his first game back thats how you do it look for the spot aim fire...beautiful..on the spot and not a short kick.It’s honestly like Luke is just hoping for the best SECOND Regarding his passing ...now this is scary....again it’s like he’s hoping for the best.Hes not really seeing an opportunity to create a gap like Benji does,he just to me goes through the motions and let’s the ball go and we’ve had the tide of the game turn as a result. And the drop kicks. We need someone that’s going to handle those drop kicks in a finals match. That’s the level of pressure that needs to ge gobbled up by our half back Especially after all the practice he apparently had and couldn’t miss during that practice. To me the pressure affects his game too much..Therefore Benji at half back and Josh at standoff...Imagine those 3 Benji Josh and Robbie combining...All old hands been there done that WOW

My 1st thought was - we need a goal kicker.

After reading that ^ it's certainly not a bad idea, in fact, I think it is one important thing that would help the team, after getting that goal kicker.

Note: Marshall and/or Reynolds would not be intimidated by Farah like I think Brooks is.
But who would be in charge?

WA Tiger

Bench
I think your right about Luke and Farah..I think maybe masters might have been one of the guys that got shaken up a bit by the coaches spray last week...if so hopefully the coach brings out a bit of his sensitive side when needed.Masters had a bad day give him another chance ...Good question. I’ve seen Josh demand the ball last year from Luke Benjis been the Boss and Farahs a natural leader. I think they could do it without there being one boss. I’ve seen Moses scream at a player at Canterbury I think a half back that didn’t pass straight to him and wasted an opportunity. I think He’s capable of shaking things up. But he wouldnt do it for the sake of it.

Tiger05

First Grade
My thoughts are that Brooks needs to stay. We also need to focus on the best part of Brooks game which is his running game. He has also become a great defender. He can also put an edge player over through a good pass. He also has a decent kicking game. He needs to work on his kicking game to make it more consistent.

I don't think we need someone in charge. I think we just need a plan in relation to who comes up with the late tackle options. We looked great in the first couple of weeks with Benji, Robbie and Brooks all chiming in with late tackle options.

WA Tiger

Bench
Good points...shame they couldn’t get Laurie Daley in as a halves trainer like the coach had planned coz of the conflict of interests he was all lined up ....anyway as long as someone’s looking out for what I’m seeing now coz no ones mentioned it at all...your right I’ve seen them click it’s a thing of beauty...I’ve heard coach has no fear with changing players at all..He would have seen it I’m sure

Tiger Ted

Bench
It’s like I’m the only person watching Luke Brooks closely this year and last year. Alarming is the word that comes to mind. FIRST His kicks into the goal area on the last tackle ...1 and this happens a lot ..he kind of runs and kicks at the same time and the kick dribbles way short of the try line because he’s kind of run over the ball as he kicks it and its an easy pick up for the opposition.2 He’s got two or three players in front of him and he just can not thread the needle. It’s like he doesn’t really look because its iether again just too short or is picked up easily or hits an opposition player...check out joshs first attempt at a try assist on his first game back thats how you do it look for the spot aim fire...beautiful..on the spot and not a short kick.It’s honestly like Luke is just hoping for the best SECOND Regarding his passing ...now this is scary....again it’s like he’s hoping for the best.Hes not really seeing an opportunity to create a gap like Benji does,he just to me goes through the motions and let’s the ball go and we’ve had the tide of the game turn as a result. And the drop kicks. We need someone that’s going to handle those drop kicks in a finals match. That’s the level of pressure that needs to ge gobbled up by our half back Especially after all the practice he apparently had and couldn’t miss during that practice. To me the pressure affects his game too much..Therefore Benji at half back and Josh at standoff...Imagine those 3 Benji Josh and Robbie combining...All old hands been there done that WOW
I’ve been thinking this over the last few wks that Benji & Reynolds is very likely our best halves combo.

It’s never going to b Brooks’s team coz unfortunately he isn’t a competent or capable game manager never was in juniors & never will b in seniors.Game managing is innate & for the Brooks’s of this world it’s uncoachable.His obvious strength is as a running half.Fact is we r short a dominant game manager.

Like it or not & I dislike the prick intensely but Mitchell Moses is developing into a quality game manager.He has clearly always been a smarter footballer than Brooks but unfortunately his gargantuan ego overshadowed his ability when he was at Concord.

The unknown

Juniors
As Ted mentioned Brooks is being groomed into something he is not. Sometimes players can adapt but in Brooks case it doesn't look like he is one to adapt

If Brooks was to play outside a dominant half in Cronk/Keary he would kill it imo

Tigerm

First Grade
As Ted mentioned Brooks is being groomed into something he is not. Sometimes players can adapt but in Brooks case it doesn't look like he is one to adapt

If Brooks was to play outside a dominant half in Cronk/Keary he would kill it imo
That's why I think Brooks should have a go at 9, we are going to need someone (prob) next year, IMO he has everything needed to take on the role.

WA Tiger

Bench
Music to my ears all these comments. He’s definitely got a place but the boss? Number 9 mmm ...ok so now where talking like you’d have expected from Joey a week ago but not a squeak from anyone. It’s almost like everyone’s thinking no that kick was just a one off but honestly it’s about 7-8 consecutive...actually I noticed after the first game his frequency of kicks dropped. Mcguire May have told him to focus more on his strengths.ie running.I just wish he’d spend an hour a day at the park aiming for spots just over the tryline for 5th tackle optionss but if Noones going to give this feedback or he’s told he’s owns the team then that’s not going to happen..

Shredder

Juniors
Hes the current Daly M Half of the year....................

People wont be happy until we go a season undefeated and keeping every team scoreless.

WA Tiger

Bench
He was too I forgot about that ...HaHa yes your probably right...I’m from Perth so hard to find s good league let alone tigers conversation...I can’t wait for the game tomorrow. Especially after I got that off my chest and got s bit of feedback both ways so I feel like we are watching out for the same thing

west4ever

Juniors
I think Benji and Reynolds in the half’s is better than having brooks in there, without brooks we have a better chance getting in the top 8, Farah and benjis last year I think they should go all out, Reynolds is to good to leave out, brooks couldn’t organise a f*ck at a brothel.

WA Tiger

Bench
And then of course there was a couple of Banana kicks from Brooks that went really nowhere or to the opposition in the first couple of weeks ...it was like ok no options hey let’s try a banana kick..trouble is no one else new it was coming .They’ve been kindly shelved ...It’s funny the only try I remember coming off his kick rebounded off an opposition player for a Farah touchdown ..possibly not fair there must have been more? Surely! ....don’t get me wrong I’ve seen him kick some beauties that get a result it’s just that u don’t see them enough and when there’s traffic they are virtually non existent ...he’s just got to take his time with the kick really look for the gap maybe get a bit closer dummy pass and just get it through like it’s life or death to miss ...

WA Tiger

Bench
Sorry it’s the middle of the night here and I have to get this out there...Brooks has this thing going where when he goes to kick through the gap on the 5th tackle his mentality is ..I’ll run and kick at the same time because then I’ll be able to follow up the kick if needed and maybe score myself....that may have worked once or twice....But that needs to stop!!. Because that’s when he takes his mind off the kick and the gap and really making sure it goes through the gap..and as a result the ball just dribbles a few feet forward and doesn’t even reach the try line...forget the running just concentrate on the gap and the kick ...someone else WILL score the try ...I’ve been watching this closely and seeing it over and over for weeks ....its destroying me ....the effort the whole team has put in to get any playmaker to that position with the ball in their hand ready to kick means they just have to do everything in there power to get it through the gap even if it means changing their thought process mentality technique...it’s staying relaxed during that split second scan just before the kick Focus on that gap coz it may change shape and u may need to contort your body/leg position to get the ball through that gap ...whatever it takes ...Thurston comes to mind ...Brooke’s can do it too just focus on the kick and the gap only forget the running ....there’ll always be someone there waiting to touchdown

WA Tiger

Bench
GAME DAY!!!!!!! Chance of rain over there slight 30% ...that sounds more than slight....partly cloudy..Prediction With the Broncos under massive pressure from the media...I’ll just say a big win 26-10 Brooks has a blinder...and I can change the subject in future ps Robbie never misses the gap even when there’s no gap ...those two should talk more ....

super_coach

First Grade
Brooks is probably the only one in the team capable of scoring a try out of nothing. Also in a team that lacks speed why would you flick your quickest player. Benji’s abilty to control play as a no7 has always been debated.

I would stick with Brooks without a minutes hesitation

Tiger Ted

Bench
Brooks is probably the only one in the team capable of scoring a try out of nothing. Also in a team that lacks speed why would you flick your quickest player. Benji’s abilty to control play as a no7 has always been debated.

If ever we needed Brooks to aim up & be the point of difference it’s 2nite.Hes behind a powerful pack & opposing struggling halves & a no. of inexperienced forwards we can exploit in a game we must win.

Tiger05

First Grade

I'm with you. Brooks has been poor so far this year but he was great last year and he is still our best half.

WA Tiger

Bench
WOW...I don’t know where Benjis going to fit in next week...mmmm. Brooke’s was great....McGuire’s the orchestrator...Brooke’s didn’t even think of kicking along the ground unless there was no option...and the one he did down the middle was a beauty...He stopped and kicked.Not once did he do his kick on the run...Hats off..