What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The race to sign back line backups

raidersforme

Juniors
The race is on to sign back-line backups
Chris Wilson
space.gif

The Canberra Raiders will race to sign back-line reinforcements for this season after releasing centre Steve Irwin yesterday. Raiders general manager Don Furner confirmed the club would look at potential players before the June 30 registration deadline.
Furner would not reveal the club's targets, but Newcastle centre Brad Tighe, one of nine players reported to be on a growing exit list at the Knights, is a possible consideration.
The Raiders are not interested in pursuing former Queensland Origin centre Josh Hannay, who is not in coach Ricky Stuart's plan at Cronulla.
The Raiders have now released four players this season, Irwin joining centre Craig Frawley (Brisbane Broncos), forward Andrew Lomu (Brisbane Broncos) and former Parramatta junior Tony Pamatangi (Albury).
Irwin and Pamatangi did not play one game for the Raiders in any grade.
Frawley yesterday requested a clearance from the Raiders as he prepares to make an NRL comeback with his former club.
Frawley said he had recovered from a foot fracture and would play with Broncos feeder club Aspley in the Queensland Cup within a fortnight. He admitted he was disappointed he never reached his potential in more than two seasons at the Raiders.
Frawely played just seven games in his first year, 2005, and just 23 matches in total. He hoped the move back north would be a boost for his career.
"There's no hard feelings at all, [the Raiders] were honest and upfront with me," Frawley said.
"I won't get into it too much, but there's no hard feelings. I think it was best for my career that I did leave and they were happy as well.
" It just didn't work out down there. Nothing against the Raiders, Canberra just didn't suit me."
Frawley, 26, said he only wanted to prove to himself he could play in the NRL.
"Now I'm back home I'm a lot happier to be honest. I'm training well and feeling good again. It'll take me a few games and hopefully I'll bounce back to the form I was in before I left."

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... league&story_id=590946&category=Rugby League

Guys what you think of milton thaiday, i think he would be good if he fixed defense issue's, more so than best. or steve micheals, darius boyd any others

dubby

Bench
Michaels goes ok. A much better centre than Tighe IMHO.

Newcastle have the worst centres in the NRL and we are tipped to sign one??

Cr@p....

Surely we cant sign Tighe , he's crap , I'd have Michaels first . We dont need centres or wingers who arent in any decent form and arent likely to ever get there. We have are own problems with Best and Howell , maybe Newcastle can have them. Tighe would only be playing PL or QLD cup anyway , save your money or spend more on getting Mogg back.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Hate to say it, but I would be putting a decent offer to Monoghan (not his asking price of $300k). Why piss around with half a dozen average centres when we could get a better one.

I reckon Monoghan would be very good indeed at the end of Dobson's kicking game.

Which means we would need to resign Dobson, of course...

julian87

Juniors
I'd rather sign Mark Henry from the Cowboys for next season. We are fine for this season with Purtell, Chalk, Graham and Campese.

Macko8

Juniors
I dont think management should go out and waste valuable cash on someone like Tighe,michaels or boyd to be quite honest.

Although id rather boyd out the lot, but we dont really need anymore backup for this season imo.

Once we get Graham and Kelly back on the paddock they will be in the mix once again for a FG spot. Plus why buy backup when we have goodwin and milne who are more than capable of filling in the outside backs anytime.

If i were management id wait and save the cash, offer dobbo an offer he cannot refuse and buy 1 or 2 QUALITY and well known outside backs at the seasons end or early next season.

legend

Coach
Will Kelly move into the centres once he is back from injury and Chalk to the bench as a utility?

Chachi

Bench
My preference would be to have Campo on the bench as the utility when Carney returns (likely to be around the same time as Kelly I'd say). That would leave Kelly competing with Milne and Goodwin for a wing spot. As Chalky is our most experienced back I'd guess Henry would be keen to keep him on the park if his form holds up.

Things then get really fun when Graham returns.

dubby

Bench
Macko8 said:
I dont think management should go out and waste valuable cash on someone like Tighe,michaels or boyd to be quite honest.

Although id rather boyd out the lot, but we dont really need anymore backup for this season imo.

Once we get Graham and Kelly back on the paddock they will be in the mix once again for a FG spot. Plus why buy backup when we have goodwin and milne who are more than capable of filling in the outside backs anytime.

If i were management id wait and save the cash, offer dobbo an offer he cannot refuse and buy 1 or 2 QUALITY and well known outside backs at the seasons end or early next season.

Totally agree....

Chachi

Bench
icewind said:
keep your grubby hands off moon thank you very much.
We've already given you Lomu and Frawley! I'll even chuck in an Irwin and a Pamatangi to sweeten the deal.

Timbo

Staff member
The money should be used on Dobson.

We have Purtell, Graham, Howell, Milne, Chalk, Kelly, Goodwin and Best as our top-flighters. That is enough to keep everyone on their toes competing for spots.

Add to that guys like Tsau in reggies and we're doing just fine.

However, if they're so desperate to sign someone, it should be Boyd or Michaels.

aussies1st

Staff member
Agreed should make sure we sign Dobson first then worry about getting a back latter. Wouldn't want any of the players mentioned in that article.

trev

Juniors
It is far more important to sign Dobson. Personally, I have been waiting for the Raiders to get a good young halves pairing, that looks like it's finally happened.

We have plenty of backline options. Milne and Goodwin have been fantastic and their debut in the NRL has been a long time coming. That just proves to me that the juniors coming through the grades have been a good investment for the club, rather than buy others in. Both guys have been far better than Colin Best, and he was bought from the Dragons. I watch the Premier League guys when I come down to Canberra once a year and have many times thought they could play better than some of the guys in the first grade team.

It makes it a bit difficult right now to get a good indication of the available talent because of injuries. When all are fit, we have some good options.

jed

First Grade
Has the issue with Dobson's manager been dealt with yet? We can't table him a formal offer while there's a dispute about who he's actually represented by.

I don't expect it to take long for a final decision on his future as soon as his manager is sorted.

Latest posts