What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The reaction in Melbourne

Misty Bee

First Grade
Much has been made of the Sydney media's coverage of the Swans last week, and the ratings for both games in Sydney and Melbourne. I'm wondering though what the reaction has been this week in the Melbourne print and radio media of the NRL GF and the Storm in general?

I'm eager to find out of the NRL's Melbourne push, and the NSWRL's moving of an Origin to melbourne has done t's job - to get Melbournians - and it's snobby press, to accept our great game and their representatives in it.

airpoe

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Much has been made of the Sydney media's coverage of the Swans last week, and the ratings for both games in Sydney and Melbourne. I'm wondering though what the reaction has been this week in the Melbourne print and radio media of the NRL GF and the Storm in general?

I'm eager to find out of the NRL's Melbourne push, and the NSWRL's moving of an Origin to melbourne has done t's job - to get Melbournians - and it's snobby press, to accept our great game and their representatives in it.
I'm a regular listensr to 3aw's sports show (Melb) 6-8pm (Similar to 2UE's)

All AFL execpt with 5 minutes at the final 10 minutes for Craig Belleny (spelling). As 99% of callers talk about AFL.

phonetic

Juniors
As long as you're not expecting miracles, the positives in Melbourne are clear for all to see.

Sell out origin game.
Strong home crowd average.
Pretty good crowd likely for tri nations.
Big ratings for the GF.

Of course it's still going to be all AFL, just like it'll all be League in Sydney, but the Storm's small presence down there is growing.

philstorm

Juniors
I was listening to SEN yesterday (Sports network radio usually limited to AFL), but a suprising number of fans were calling in about watching the NRL Grand Final on Sunday and how they were 'appalled' at the refereeing.

While I may not agree with what was some, 'some news is better than no news'! :lol:

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Ive been checking The Age and the Herald Sun websites since the GF, because ive been as curious as you. The coverage has been GREAT compared to the past, league truly was Vic's 2nd sport this week, and at times 1st sport as well. Unfortuneately many blogs from the readers all have carried the "im a first time viewer of RL, i likd it, but the bad reffing has ensured that i stick to AFL." But around 10% of them say that they will watch RL in 2007

nqboy

First Grade
What a shame that the controversy over the refereeing had such a big impact on the game itself and the Victorian perception. Trust the NRL to shoot itself in the foot.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Take that 90% as a positive, nqboy. taking fans away from the AFL is not the point. If they liked it - and are happy to publicly admit that - then a HUGE barrier has been broken. Pre 2006, Victorians were more paraniod about 'rugby' than what you would normally expect outside a Psych ward. Now they are tuning in, and enjoying it. Big win for the great game!

BTW, anyone got the Melbourne viewing stats for the 99 GF?

spacemanspiff

Juniors
I think the best indication of the impact this year has had, is the amount of incidental coverage in Melbourne. Radio stations like NOVA here in Melbourne are talking about the Storm from time to time, interviewing Cam Smith. It's not saturation, but the fact that league is getting a mention in the general media is a better indication that its becoming more accepted as a part of the mainstream Melbourne sporting landscape.

pepe

Juniors
i think the general population has got right behind the storm,likewise the melbourne victory.
maybe the press down here will have to think twice about employing ex-afl players and employ real sports journas who understand more than one sport.

pepe

Ant

Juniors
Melbourne is long term plan, it has steadily grown this year and I think it can grow again next year steadily. The main idea is to get more and people interested in the storm and league as a sport. It doesn't mean they need to like league more than afl, you just need to create a similar situation to brisbane and sydney, where afl has a solid core following and when the lions or swans do well.

The swans took a long time to build a core base, I mean in their 1st 13 seasons only 3 times did they average crowds over 13000, for afl thats poor. They only made the finals twice in that period. The swans have built since 1995 with the signing of a recognised afl star in lockett, in their next 12 seasons they made the finals 9 times and have been in 3 gf's.

The storm are probably starting from a better point. In 9 seasons they have made the finals 7 times and the gf twice. They have averaged crowds of around the 10000 mark during their lifetime, not horrible, but not good. The a league has probably just helped the storm, because they have played at a below par facility for 10 years. Now the 2 clubs get a new ground 20000 seat purpose built for rectangle games in 2008.
If melbourne can remain competitive, which they should they have of the best young talent in the game. The next few seasons the storm should be able to build with gradually more media attention, a new stadium, if they remain strong i think the storm can average 15000 in the new ground.

Good signs.

Brutus

Referee
nqboy said:
What a shame that the controversy over the refereeing had such a big impact on the game itself and the Victorian perception. Trust the NRL to shoot itself in the foot.

So true. We were robbed of an epic finish with 10 minutes to go. 14-all.

Brutus

Referee
pepe said:
i think the general population has got right behind the storm,likewise the melbourne victory.
maybe the press down here will have to think twice about employing ex-afl players and employ real sports journas who understand more than one sport.

pepe

I listened to 3aw the other day and honestly the AFL guys they had on there new nothing about the rugby league. You'd think Gerard Healey would have a bit of an idea after playing in Sydney during the 80's. No wonder league doesn;t get a go on that show - the hosts know 0.

At least the likes of Gibbsy, Graeme Hughes, Tex and Jimmy Smith when he was on have a decent enough knowledge of AFL to talk about it.

LESStar58

Referee
The coverage in the papers has dropped off as far as I can tell....but then again I ain't been reading em much...

1 million viewers...says it all.

We have broken down a MASSIVE barrier this year to our great game, that being just plain ignorance/indifference towards it.

If the storm manage to have a good year next year I think we will see the gains we have made this year pay off more tangibly.