What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The REAL reason Matt Bowen had a quiet game last weekend

Azkatro

First Grade
Now I know I defended his performance previously and reasoned that the Roosters did a good job of shutting him down. But this little ditty I read in the Sydney Morning Herald today is sure interesting:

Sydney Morning Herald said:
Sydney Roosters centre Justin Hodges has apologised to North Queensland fullback Matt Bowen for hitting him during the wild opening to last Sunday's preliminary final that led to Rooster Luke Ricketson being suspended. Hodges, who was one of three Roosters players cautioned over the second-minute stoush, struck Bowen as tensions escalated after Ricketson's stiff-arm blow on Cowboys halfback Nathan Fien. NRL video review commissioner Greg McCallum suggested in his report that Hodges could have been sin-binned, and Cowboys officials were privately fuming that the punch changed Bowen's mind-set for the match - leading to him having one of his quieter performances for the club. Hodges sent a text message to Bowen this week saying sorry.

Don't you just love the personal touch an SMS gives? :roll:

That was probably the roosters great game plan. In the first few minutes take out the cowboys two most dangerous players. Disgusting.

Billy Gunn

Juniors
What a load of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that changed the way he played tell him to play touch footy because he obviously has no heart.

Billy

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Billy Gunn said:

If that changed the way he played tell him to play touch footy because he obviously has no heart.

Billy

Agreed. If anything it should have spurred him on.

borat

Bench
Billy Gunn said:

Billy

Spot on.

If it only takes one shot on the chin to put Bowen off his game then he is not much of a player then. Every team in the comp will try this tactic now. This is why Bowen is not YET up to test standard. However with a couple more years experience he may be.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Whilst I am a Matt Bowen fan, I will not buy into this as the "REAL reason Matt Bowen had a quiet game on Sunday". Why ?

Outgoing Cowboys halfback Nathan Fien got who got "sidearmed" as we all know by Ricketson, copped a better hit than Bowen wore yet went on to play a starring role for the NQ Cowboys.

I have seen as recent as Round 24 when Ashton Sims vs Newcastle came back onto the field after surviving a sickening elbow to the jaw that by rights should of seen him finish the game in the dressing room. He came back on to play a starring role as well.

I believe young Matt Bowen would be embarassed by the "NQ officials" trying to use this incident with Hodges as a reason for his below par game which "changed Bowen's mind-set for the match". The guy had a poor game it's as simple as that, it happens, if the player is destined to be a "great", he learns from this and moves on to bigger and better things. Look at Darren Lockyer after his test debut were he played perhaps his worst ever first class game...that very same weekend he came out and got man of the match for the Bronco's and the rest is history.

Bowen has already moved on no doubt enjoying the mad monday festivities and is now preparing for a likely call up into Bennett's 23 man Touring squad. I suggest "NQ Officials" do the same.

RoostarGirl

Juniors
Ryan_Loves_Broncos said:
That was probably the roosters great game plan. In the first few minutes take out the cowboys two most dangerous players. Disgusting.

So now the Roosters were out to get their main players out of the game???

That fight errupted...correct me if I'm wrong...because Fein took a shot at Freddy....and the others stepped in.

So how was it our game plan...they started it.

Oh FFS :roll: what is wrong with people....

GO EASTS!!!!!!!!!!

RoostarGirl said:
Ryan_Loves_Broncos said:

So now the Roosters were out to get their main players out of the game???

That fight errupted...correct me if I'm wrong...because Fein took a shot at Freddy....and the others stepped in.

So how was it our game plan...they started it.

Oh FFS :roll: what is wrong with people....

GO EASTS!!!!!!!!!!

It happened because Fitler was lying all over the tackled man not allowing a fast play-the-ball. Fien pushed him off and Fitler took it the wrong way.

RoostarGirl

Juniors
So that doesn't equate to us trying to take their players out of the game?? why bother you don't get it :D

panthersballboy

Juniors
[/quote]
It happened because Fitler was lying all over the tackled man not allowing a fast play-the-ball. Fien pushed him off and Fitler took it the wrong way.[/quote]

Exactly, Fien pushed him off so Fittler bitch slaps him and that is how the fight started.

RoostarGirl

Juniors
Yeah well you started by saying that we were out to get them...yet clearly it was Fein that started the whole thing....so we layed on a player....they started the biff.

I love the way you hate us :D

GO EASTS!!!!!!!!!

How is pushing a player the biff? Players do that every game there was no excuse to take it over the top. When Ryan Cross pushed Rauhihi when he was it marker and was rewarded a penalty, Rauhihi didn't go over the top and start throwing a hissy phit.

RoostarGirl

Juniors
Ryan_Loves_Broncos said:
How is pushing a player the biff? Players do that every game there was no excuse to take it over the top. When Ryan Cross pushed Rauhihi when he was it marker and was rewarded a penalty, Rauhihi didn't go over the top and start throwing a hissy phit.

I'm still waiting on you to show me how we tried to take their 2 best players out......without provocation.

Wasn't it Crocker that copped two head shots??

Raider_69

Post Whore
Im a huge Bowen fan like most league loving people
but he played like a man that didnt want to run, he played like a cat, i wont pigeon hole him off that one piss poor display but he went MIA when the cowboys needed him to step up

Booyah

Bench
Hodges sent a text message to Bowen this week saying sorry

What a joke. He wasn't even man enough to ring him and speak to him properly, or even *Gasp* apologise after the game.

And of course an SMS is such a highly personal way of doing things. I hope his girlfriend broke up with him via SMS.

Latest posts