What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really Early NSW Team 2012 Thread That Will Be Hated By All!!!

Raider_69

Post Whore
Hooker- Cam Smith is amazingly good but Gidley (while extremely different in style) can be just as devastating.

Put down the bong son.

If fit and healthy, TLL needs to be there, can not believe after being our best front rower in 2010 that he got shafted the way he did in 2011.

1. Dugan (Stewart or Hayne will be good too if Dugan isnt fit or they outplay him)
2. Uate
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Gordon
6. Hayne (we need him somewhere and we lack a 5/8th, if a genuine 5/8th can stand up, like a Mullen or Campese or Soward, great we can move Hayne back into the backline)
7. Pearce (Like him or love him, sadly he's still the best halfback we've got)
8. Gallen (c)
9. Farah (he's the best hooker NSW has, even if he has dumb plays in him)
10. Tolman
11. Watmough
12. Bird
13. Fensom (if you want to stop QLD being the team that continues to be first to a bounce ball and carving us up the middle, you've got to start picking guys like him)

14. Lewis
15. Mannah
16. Sims
17. TLL

D

Deleted member 10972

I feel that the first step is picking the backrowers. Honestly, it has to be:

11. Lewis
12. Scott
13. Gallen

14. Bird
15. Watmough

They are by far and away the best 4 available for NSW. Guys like Mark Minichiello, Ryan Hoffman and Ben Creagh are one-dimensional hit up men without much else to their game, and defensively they aren't anything special either. Glenn Stewart and Liam Fulton are decent and crafty but is not really Origin style players in my opinion, while Chris Heighington and Chris Houston are honest toilers at best.

As for Sh*tley, please get rid of him and play Greg Bird as the utility. Bird can play hooker, five-eighth, centre, lock and backrow if need be, and much like Cameron Smith, we need an 80 minute hooker at Origin level anyway.

As for props, I would have two grafting props start the match, with two high impact props coming off the bench.

8. Grant/Mannah/Galloway/Snowden/Douglas/Merrin

10. Grant/Mannah/Galloway/Snowden/Douglas/Merrin

Bench props have to be Learoyd-Lahrs and Tariq Sims. Imagine bringing these two on at the same time, QLD will be on the back foot quicksmart!

RHCP

Bench
Put down the bong son.

If fit and healthy, TLL needs to be there, can not believe after being our best front rower in 2010 that he got shafted the way he did in 2011.
He should be one of the first picked, but wasn't he injured most of the Origin period this year?

timka4

Bench
Yeah he didn't get much quality game time at all for Canberra this year, injury season.

We don't have better props then QLD, but we still have good props that can do the job that is required.
Props like Snowden, Douglas, Galloway, Mannah, Grant, Tolman (maybe he could be 50/50 imo), TLL etc are all quality props.

Problem for NSW is that selectors in the past have picked shitty props like Jason f**king King. Anyone in their right mind easily knows that he is not in the top 5 props in NSW.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Yes TLL was injured then his form did not return to his usual hence him missing this years Origin selection If he picks up his form/ class he will be a sure selection for next year (Well hopefully) he brings the aggression power we need in someone of his type and brings a great ability of skill to the pack.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Yeah he didn't get much quality game time at all for Canberra this year, injury season.

We don't have better props then QLD, but we still have good props that can do the job that is required.
Props like Snowden, Douglas, Galloway, Mannah, Grant, Tolman (maybe he could be 50/50 imo), TLL etc are all quality props.

Problem for NSW is that selectors in the past have picked shitty props like Jason f**king King. Anyone in their right mind easily knows that he is not in the top 5 props in NSW.

Manly Conspiracy....please with the bloke in the NSW panel there must always be one Manly player it just happened to be King in GameI. It's a joke yeah Manly player....Watmough. Done. If Hopoate stayed I'd definitely play him again next year. A great boom player, stepped up to the Origin arena and is young so can blood him into Origin. Hopeful when he returns in two years this is the case!

I would mark some players NEVER to play Origin again though.
1) Mini
2) King
3) Ennis

And some more.

Mr Fourex

Bench
We definitely have heaps of potential. The greatest issue is the halves. If Joey didn't break his neck in 06, there would have been no QLD dominance....

I think the future lies in Mullen's hands. I'm not speaking through my red and blue goggles don't worry. In terms of pure talent, Mullen pwns Soward. With WB on board next year Mullen could potentially become a worldclass half. If he does, the rest of the NSW is on par, if not better than QLD's.

Fullback - Billy is and will be better than anything NSW can produce but Dugan, Hayne or Stewart won't let us down.

Wingers - Uate/Hayne/Gordon/Etc have it all over QLD. Boyd is a class fullback but has nothing on Uate out on the wing.

Centres - Inglis just ain't Inglis no more, thank god. Hodges has carcked it and while we don't have great centres ourselves Jennings or Lawrence are good enough to match it with whatever QLD have to throw at us.

Backrow - We shit on QLD bar Thaiday.

Frontrow - They have Superman Scott but again apart from that nothing special. We have more up and coming youngsters who'll be able to dominate QLD in due time.

Hooker- Cam Smith is amazingly good but Gidley (while extremely different in style) can be just as devastating.

:lol: :lol: .......NTLE nuffie

D

Deleted member 10972

Early prediction regarding forwards for 2011:

Australia

8. Scott, 9. Smith, 10. Hannant, 11. Lewis, 12. Thaiday, 13. Gallen, BENCH: 14. Cronk, 15. Watmough, 16. T Sims (bolter), 17. Shillington

City

8. Grant, 9. Farah, 10. Mannah, 11. Minichiello, 12. Hall/Symonds, 13. Fulton, BENCH: 14. Buhrer, 15. Hoffman, 16. Shackleton/Gibbs (scraping the bottom of the barrel here), 17. Galloway

Country

8. Snowden, 9. Ennis, 10. Merrin, 11. Creagh, 12. Scott, 13. Stewart, BENCH: 14. Bird, 15. Prior, 16. Douglas/Tolman/Hunt/A Sims (unlike QLD, plenty of options here), 17. Learoyd-Lahrs

NSW

8. Snowden (Country), 9. Farah (City), 10. Mannah (City), 11. Lewis (Australia), 12. Scott (Country), 13. Gallen (Australia), BENCH: 14. Bird (Country) - unless Gidley gets put here :roll:, 15. Watmough (Australia), 16. T Sims (Australia), 17. Learoyd-Lahrs (Country)

Again, as stated before, the faults of CvC are obvious. City scrapes the bottom of the barrel for props and backrowers with the likes of Shackleton/Gibbs and Hall/Symonds, while Country has Luke Douglas, Aiden Tolman, Dan Hunt and Ashton Sims all missing out, not to mention Heighington, Houston and Fensom who would most likely miss out too.

Last edited by a moderator:

RHCP

Bench
Pack looks good Mack. Who was going to be your fourth prop, Gal pushing up or Tariq?

Only change I'd have would be Bird and TLL starting, Mannah and Lewis on the bench.

Rod

Bench
We definitely have heaps of potential. The greatest issue is the halves. If Joey didn't break his neck in 06, there would have been no QLD dominance....

Joey didnt break his neck in '06, he was always going to retire from Origin that year in a bid to prolong his club career.

This early I would go:

1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Lawrence
4. Gordon/Jennings (depends on Gordon's form coming back from injury really)
5. Uate
6. No idea, up for grabs IMO, could be any of about 5
7. Pearce
8. Galloway
9. Farah
10. Snowden
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Gidley
15. Mannah
16. Watmough
17. Sims

Five-eighth could be anyone really with Soward, Mullen and Campese the leading contenders. Too many what-ifs at this stage to make a call.

If Galloway keeps up his '11 form he should be there. I'm picking Snowden on the assumption that he will be well over his injuries and back to playing some good footy under Bennett. While Gallen was great in Game 2 at prop I don't see playing him there as the long term solution.

Scott could be considered a bit unlucky as he was pretty strong this year but a fit Lewis is a given as is Watmough. Sims will force the selectors to pick him if he plays like he did this year. I won't lose any sleep if Creagh is not picked TBH.

I may be in the minority but I still think Gidley was something to offer coming off the bench. He was one of our best in Game 2 and although he made a couple of noticeable errors in Game 3, he was also one of the only NSW guys creating anything in that game. I know Queensland play with an 80 minute hooker but them having Cronk was also almost a waste of a bench spot IMO. Giving Farah a spell could be a positive for his game and he can ensure that the 50 or so minutes he is on there are quality.

RHCP

Bench
For better or worse Robbie Farah will not be picked as starting hooker, of that I am certain.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Galloway and Stewart both good players but can they personally stand up to Origin is the better question? Given time will they be strong performers. We know that players like Bird, Gallen and the likes have the mentality and ticker for Origin. Heck even Pearce has the ticker for Origin he just lacks the full creativity in comparison to Thurston. You can't deny he's a good player.

Farah NEEDS to be picked. But hear it here first boys. He WON'T be picked. For one reason or another Ennis will be there and another brain explosion will cost us a good opportunity.

timka4

Bench
Farah NEEDS to be picked. But hear it here first boys. He WON'T be picked. For one reason or another Ennis will be there and another brain explosion will cost us a good opportunity.
Already called that at the start of this year and about 2 weeks ago ;-).

After reading some peoples forward pack / bench I'm liking the idea of putting Bird on the bench and starting Scott.

Bird and Lewis are good enough to fill in any back line position if injury occurs which means we don't need Gidley. Farah (even probably Ennis) is good enough to play the full 80 without needing Gidley.
However, like everyone knows Gidley will be picked no matter what.

8. Galloway
9. Farah
10. TLL
11. Lewis
12. Scott
13. Gallen

14. Bird
15. Snowden
16. Watmough
17. Sims

Although I feel like my bench is too backrow heavy. But Gallen can easily slot into the front row later on.

Last edited:

Dragon2010

First Grade
As did I the post before and even earlier than that, heard it here third eh? :p

Let me have some credit! :crazy: Okay hear it here first...in this thread. There we go.

I'm getting a nice banner made up for Origin next year lol. Damn it is hard to think of the text to put on it though.

D

Deleted member 10972

Already called that at the start of this year and about 2 weeks ago ;-).

After reading some peoples forward pack / bench I'm liking the idea of putting Bird on the bench and starting Scott.

Bird and Lewis are good enough to fill in any back line position if injury occurs which means we don't need Gidley. Farah (even probably Ennis) is good enough to play the full 80 without needing Gidley.
However, like everyone knows Gidley will be picked no matter what.

8. Galloway
9. Farah
10. TLL
11. Lewis
12. Scott
13. Gallen

14. Bird
15. Snowden
16. Watmough
17. Sims

Although I feel like my bench is too backrow heavy. But Gallen can easily slot into the front row later on.

Swap TLL and Snowden, and replace Galloway with Mannah, and you have yourself an ideal pack.

Galloway is very similar to Weyman IMO. A decent hard-running impact option, but lacks a bit of mobility and athleticism that might be a weakness at Origin level. With TLL and Sims providing more than enough impact, you would want two grafting forwards to start the match - ideally Tim Mannah and Kade Snowden who can rack up big numbers consistently.

Noname36

First Grade
1. Hayne
6. Soward
7. Pearce
9. Farrah
14. Gidley

I wouldn't hate that. It will also be interesting if Buderus comes back to the Knights. Not sure if he'd be up to Origin level anymore, but giving him 20minutes from the bench might be worth it to have his leadership in the side IMO. That way if Soward/Pearce can't handle it (which is a very strong possibility) Farrah can do some work in the halves for a short period.

Pazza

First Grade
Snowden has a heart the size of a pea, in his two origin games so far he has been over roared by the occasion.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Origin is cool. If we pick the right team and get the right balance of players we can grab the series next year (Hopefully). We just need to pick certain players and not pick others.

I think we need Dugan at fullback simply so we can blood him for the future and carry him through to be a strong player in 2013 and beyond.

timka4

Bench
Swap TLL and Snowden, and replace Galloway with Mannah, and you have yourself an ideal pack.

Galloway is very similar to Weyman IMO. A decent hard-running impact option, but lacks a bit of mobility and athleticism that might be a weakness at Origin level. With TLL and Sims providing more than enough impact, you would want two grafting forwards to start the match - ideally Tim Mannah and Kade Snowden who can rack up big numbers consistently.
I totally forgot Mannah, he should be there. I would swap Snowden with Mannah.

Regarding Galloway's mobility, he is alot more mobile then Weyman (almost every prop is). You need some bigger props in the side for example Matt Scott and Petero for QLD aren't that mobile but they provide great starting impact at the beginning of the match due to their size.
This is what we need, impact from the start. We always find ourselves behind after the first 20-25 minutes because we rely on our bench for impact. Why not have impact from the start and from the bench?

I would play TLL and Galloway similar how QLD use Scott and Petero, fairly short and sharp spells.

Just my opinion anyway.

Latest posts