What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The reason why gambling is truly evil

Lambretta

First Grade
Thankfully no.

p.s. recommend me a beer mate - I'm open to trying new brews...

What do you currently drink?

When trying something different it can take a few goes to "get it". Human taste buds usually take up to 10 samples of something before they accept it, so a little patience may be required

As such, I usually prescribe to the "different, but not too different approach"

If you're a lager drinker start with some flavour driven Pilsners

James Squires Four Wives Pilsner
Little Creatures Pilsner
Pilsner Urquell

All these can generally be purchased in bottles from Chambers Cellars.

Let me know what you currently drink

Fire

First Grade
What do you currently drink?

When trying something different it can take a few goes to "get it". Human taste buds usually take up to 10 samples of something before they accept it, so a little patience may be required

As such, I usually prescribe to the "different, but not too different approach"

If you're a lager drinker start with some flavour driven Pilsners

James Squires Four Wives Pilsner
Little Creatures Pilsner
Pilsner Urquell

All these can generally be purchased in bottles from Chambers Cellars.

Let me know what you currently drink
Ta mate.

Good info re: taste buds, etc.

At the moment I drink:

Tooheys New; or
Carlsberg Elephant.

Lambretta

First Grade
Fair enough, we all make sacrifices on GF day if our mob is there. I drank mid-strength Toohey's and CC and dry at the 2016 GF - I'd have killed for a tinny of VB or anything full strength!

I thought at the least they would have Coopers or another Pale Ale I could drink.

They had Lazy Yak which is supposed to be a Pale Ale but tasted like Great Northern or Pure Blonde. Worst example of a Pale Ale I have ever experienced. I can't even call it an imitation because I have no idea what its imitating

Lambretta

First Grade
Ta mate.

Good info re: taste buds, etc.

At the moment I drink:

Tooheys New; or
Carlsberg Elephant.

Go with a Pilsner then to start
From there you might want to try an Australian style Pale Ale (American style Pale Ales have a far stronger hop driven taste, not fruity per se, but its a stronger flavour)

Coopers Pale Ale
Spearhead Pale Ale

If you are going to go for a little more flavour (again not super strong and my mates who were Pure Blonde / XXXX Gold drinkers) like them, try Little Creatures Pale Ale or Young Henry's Newtowner

T.S Quint

Coach
There isn't a single pub that sells craft beers that doesn't sell Aussie lagers too. If you want VB its everywhere. But a little more choice isn't too much to ask for.

For the most part yes, but there are quite a few dedicated craft beer pubs around Sydney where they don’t offer up th me likes of VB, New, Carlton, etc.

My local, The Welcome in Rozelle is one such pub. I love it, always has something new on the menu. The Native Rose, also in Rozelle ( on Victoria Rd) is another.

Lambretta

First Grade
For the most part yes, but there are quite a few dedicated craft beer pubs around Sydney where they don’t offer up th me likes of VB, New, Carlton, etc.

My local, The Welcome in Rozelle is one such pub. I love it, always has something new on the menu. The Native Rose, also in Rozelle ( on Victoria Rd) is another.

OK. True. The Harts Pub on Essex is another. But even proper craft beer pubs such as the Dove and Olive and the Keg and Brew offer Aussie generics. Pubs that don't offer Carlton or Tooheys beers are definitely in a very small minority.

T.S Quint

Coach
OK. True. The Harts Pub on Essex is another. But even proper craft beer pubs such as the Dove and Olive and the Keg and Brew offer Aussie generics. Pubs that don't offer Carlton or Tooheys beers are definitely in a very small minority.

Oh absolutely. That’s why it’s great to find those hidden gems that don’t.

I mean, I have nothing against the regular stuff. I’ve had plenty of it in my time. But I just like a bit of variety.

thorson1987

Coach
Go with a Pilsner then to start
From there you might want to try an Australian style Pale Ale (American style Pale Ales have a far stronger hop driven taste, not fruity per se, but its a stronger flavour)

Coopers Pale Ale
Spearhead Pale Ale

If you are going to go for a little more flavour (again not super strong and my mates who were Pure Blonde / XXXX Gold drinkers) like them, try Little Creatures Pale Ale or Young Henry's Newtowner

Cricketers Arms Pale Ale is top notch.

Bazal

Post Whore
We had it on our spend get special a few weeks and I went to order it and it come back as a deleted line, we still had 3 cases left but that went very quickly.

I'm overseas so can't check, but deleted doesn't always mean deleted. Sometimes if it's a long term OOS it comes up deleted, for eg

horrie hastings

First Grade
I'm overseas so can't check, but deleted doesn't always mean deleted. Sometimes if it's a long term OOS it comes up deleted, for eg

Yep that happens a bit, it says deleted but then pops back up in a couple of weeks, it definately said deleted though and not short term or long term out of stock, it is just typical of them though to put it on a major special then you cant get stock. On holidays here also, not quite overseas but in the wilds of Western Australia so can’t check myself at the moment either.

beave

Coach
If it wasn't the GF we would have. But we wanted to be among our bretheren in Red, White and Blue

well why the f**k weren’t you at the stadium then???? blows my mind, if you live in sydney and your team is in the GF, why wouldn’t you go to the f**king game mate?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I know it’s hipster af but this is why I love living around Marrickville area. half a dozen breweries, almost every pub has a good tap list and Henson Park generally has a few good beer options. Wish the first grade stadiums were as good as Henson on game day.

Lambretta

First Grade
well why the f**k weren’t you at the stadium then???? blows my mind, if you live in sydney and your team is in the GF, why wouldn’t you go to the f**king game mate?

Because none of my mates want to / can afford to go.

I went to the 2000, 2002, 2003, 2010 & 2013 Grand Finals

I went to the 2013 Grand Final on my own as my mates didn't want to pay the money for tickets.

I enjoyed the game and the outcome but it felt sort of hollow watching the game alone. I had no one to enjoy the moment with. So this time I wanted to stick with my mates

Zadar

Juniors
Because none of my mates want to / can afford to go.

I went to the 2000, 2002, 2003, 2010 & 2013 Grand Finals

I went to the 2013 Grand Final on my own as my mates didn't want to pay the money for tickets.

I enjoyed the game and the outcome but it felt sort of hollow watching the game alone. I had no one to enjoy the moment with. So this time I wanted to stick with my mates

We are lucky to be blessed with having played in so many, i went to the game in 00,02,13. 03 just at home, 04,10 and 18 at the leagues club.

Being at a winning grand final is great, but when you are on such a high after the match, it takes you well over an hour in hope of getting out of the Homebush precinct, then to go back to easts leagues and find out that you can’t get in because it’s too full, it leaves a flat feeling inside. Also getting crappy seats doesn’t ad much when you need to watch the big screen for most of the match.

Enjoyed the club because you could drink full strength alcohol, surrounded by your own fans and get to see the players after the game, Also softens the blow if you lose the grand final and don’t have to put up with the wait times leaving Homebush, plus dealing with the winning team fans.

To be honest though, thought the leagues club was pretty poor this year, limited food available, long lineups for the bar, and the players got there about 130am and left 20min later.

If it is your first grand final, definitely try to get to the game, even with shitty seats, the whole day is quite enjoyable. After your team makes a few, you can pick and choose what you enjoy more.

YoHadrian

Juniors
I know it’s hipster af but this is why I love living around Marrickville area. half a dozen breweries, almost every pub has a good tap list and Henson Park generally has a few good beer options. Wish the first grade stadiums were as good as Henson on game day.

Lived for a few years as a single man around the corner from the Henson Park. Great pub & area in general.