What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Roman Rumble 2016

Wato

Juniors
The big problem with the "protect the good guys" mentality is that it then filters down throughout the entire roster.

Step 1) Top good guys get protected, makes top bad guys look weak

Step 2) Top bad guys get built back up at the expense of next level of good guys, resulting in those good guys looking weak.

Step 3) Rinse and repeat all the way down the roster to the point where former champions such as Big Show, Kane, Henry, Miz, Swagger are little more than enhancement talent and beating them adds no real value like it used to.

Owens, Wyatt, Rusev, Ziggler, Barrett have all been built up just to have the rug swept out from under them at various times and it seems pretty clear that Ambrose is getting as much exposure and push as he can get without them having to actually pull the trigger.

They need to start protecting everyone not just three or four guys. The perfect example of not protecting talent was what they did to becky not just her being beaten but the fact Banks attacked her post match, I hope tomorrow night they start a feud between the two setting up a no.1 contenders match at fastlane or even better a triple threat title match at fastlane but who knows maybe they just decided to bury becky. Personally I did not like the finish to that match at all, I would have rather seen a do finish via flair ripping becky off Charlotte and than had banks question charlottes credibility as champion. Instead they made becky look dumb by being duped by flair again and the ref looked even dumber for bit booting flair from ringside for kissing becky in the first place. I probably sound pretty negative about the whole ppv but I enjoyed it a lot and it had some great matches just wish they had made more of some of the booking opportunities they had.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If day it's the 50/50 booking that hurts them most. You can't have Kalisto and Del Rio just trading wins over and over again.

They used to have a good collection of jobbers to take the losses needed to get guys back on the right track, but they're so busy jamming as many big names onto their shows as possible that they have former World Champions like Swagger, Ziggler, and Miz having to do the job.

shiznit

Coach
:lol:

Pauline Levesque decides to book himself as champ again... :lol:

What did the announcer say??? 15 time champion??? :lol:

You lose the aura of being a multiple time champion when your choosing to be one yourself.... :roll:

Does the rock have a movie coming out?? I can see a Reigns & Rock V The Authority feud leading to WM...

Misanthrope

Staff member
The Rock got booed the last time he associated with Reigns. I can't imagine he's eager to do that again.

shiznit

Coach
Yeah true... But even then... I'd love to see The Rock and Reigns as heels... The Rock is an awesome heel.

Parra Pride

Coach
Actually really eager for RAW now to see where they go with AJ. Assuming it'll be Owens/AJ, maybe with a little sprinkling of Zayn on top.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Actually really eager for RAW now to see where they go with AJ. Assuming it'll be Owens/AJ, maybe with a little sprinkling of Zayn on top.

Makes me wish they had an X-Division style title for them to feud over. So many guys on the roster who would really benefit from a division that focused on that kind of athleticism.

Might actually give Neville some direction too.

Big Pete

Referee
It's funny how many people come out of the woodwork for the Rumble. It really adds to the viewing atmosphere and usually makes up for the atmosphere cept when the show dies a death.

As far as this show goes, it was pretty average.

The first half of the show was simple the Rematch Rumble. Nothing but rematches with very little heat or consequences. Nothing was insulting but none of it was really engaging either.

Then we had the Roman Rumble, which achieved a lot of things moving forward but failed in it's objective of endearing Roman to the crowd. A lot of guys got a chance to shine in Ambrose, AJ, Owens, Zayn, Strowman, Neville but the match wasn't built around them. To make matters worse, the #2 guy in Brock Lesnar also came off weak, allowing Bray to get the last laugh on the night. I thought the right thing to do there would have been for the Wyatt Family to either put Brock through an announce table, or have Brock rush back in and eliminate Bray for good measure. In fact, I thought the way Bray was eventually eliminated hurt Brock even more since it was such an unremarkable elimination.

I can live with HHH winning. It's a sad indictment on the company that they've had to go to the well again but they booked themselves into a corner and it made sense. The problem is the match did very little for the guy they're protecting.

Makes me wish they had an X-Division style title for them to feud over. So many guys on the roster who would really benefit from a division that focused on that kind of athleticism.

Might actually give Neville some direction too.

Bring back the Light Heavyweight Championship! You could even trot out Gillberg to present it to the winner!

Watched my first wrestling event in a number of years, I think I must have got out right before Ambrose/Reigns debuted (they were the Shield right? I remembered hearing about them but can't recall ever seeing them in action). My thoughts
-I guess Reigns is the new Cena, who gets booked to be the golden hero who overcomes everything. Seemed his response was a little mixed, seems like an overpowered top face of the company
-A lot of the midcarders who I thought would have stepped it up obviously never did (Miz and Swagger had championship runs a few years back but both jobbed out here, Rhodes is now essentially a carbon copy of his brother, Kingston is still in the mid card)
-If you told me after NXT season 1 that the only guy entering the rumble 5 years on would be Skip, I'd be shocked. If you told me he would have had a job 5 years on I would have been shocked, so there you go. I guess Barrett never really kicked on.
-Husky Harris' current gimmick is pretty sweet. I always liked that dude.
-HHH still has to book himself as the top guy, how many Wrestlemania's will he have main evented now? He'd have to have more to his name than Michaels, Cena, Taker and Hogan. Austin only main evented 3 times (in 4 years).
-I had no idea who half the guys were but some of them were pretty sick, Rusev, Neville, the Wyatts, Zayn, Owens.

Valheru

Coach
The last man standing match was brilliant and a fitting end to the feud. The rest of the undercard was pretty average.

The rumble match itself was overall, the best worked and booked since 2010 IMO. HHH winning is a whole lot better than Reigns winning but I was hoping for the Ambrose heel turn at the end. A couple of little things that didn’t make sense were Brock meekly walking away like a little bitch after being eliminated. He should have gone straight back in the ring and eliminated Wyatt. The other thing is the beat down on Reigns, it does not make sense to not put him back in the ring afterwards.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
I have rightfully shat on the last few Royal Rumbles for being the predictable pieces of shit that they were. so happy the crowd in those ripped them to shred.

Royal rumble was a good/above average this year.
- it extended stories for wrestlemania
- had some alright eliminations
- some fun mixes of wrestlers that the rumble gives us

sucked;
- Camera angles and general commentary
- big show, Kane and Henry need to get out. we all know you aren't winning
- Lesner not ripping everyone a new one after being eliminated

I'm not a fan of HHH but he is a step up from Cena 2.0 and it makes sense if they are trying to sell "the biggest wrestlemania of all time"

redvscotty

First Grade
The Big Show, Kane, Henry argument is pretty moot anyway.

Do you seriously think Golddust, R-Truth, Stardust etc are going to win?

Eddie Lab

Juniors
The Big Show, Kane, Henry argument is pretty moot anyway.

Do you seriously think Golddust, R-Truth, Stardust etc are going to win?

just tired of the "who could possibly throw out show/kane/henry" while these old slow guys are effortlessly throwing out good talent like Ziggler.

redvscotty

First Grade
Thats a good point!

It's criminal what they do to some wrestlers these days, including world title holders!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Swagger and The Miz were totally punked out. At least Ziggler got to go toe to toe with a few big names and look okay doing so.

They won't why they have no stars. They treat former champions like jokes when, by keeping them marginally strong, they wouldn't be in a position where their only main event level face is almost universally booed.

Latest posts