What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Roosters - well coached or a two man band?

Iafeta

Referee
Asked how much harder the loss made his side's hopes of making the play-offs, Roosters coach Ricky Stuart said: "That's two points we haven't got. [But] we had 11 out. Without any disrespect to the Warriors, give me one or two of our players back and we probably get a different result."

www.smh.com.au

Ricky Stuart has made quite the art form of making a rod for his own back with various comments over the years. Remember 2003? We only won because we slowed the game down, took forever to goal kick which was a deliberate ploy because we were unfit. Or a game against Newcastle where the Chooks just got home and the media commented on the Knights being without many players, and Stuart going on the defensive saying yeah but I only used 7 replacements to try and get the sympathy vote.

Before the game he talked about being confident for the match, his comments post game almost strikes of a man who thought his side had no chance. If I were one of his players, I wouldn't be too impressed with his thoughts on the game.

As I stated in another post, there were two games in 2002 where we didn't have Stacey Jones away to the Storm and to the Knights - people wrote us off. We still won. There were games at the tail end of 2003 where we were sithout Stacey Jones again, we lost to Newcastle away, and the Storm at home, but gained vital wins against the Chooks away, Broncos at home, Dragons away to make the top 8 and even then a half injured Stacey guided us to a 30 point demolition of the Dogs. In 2002, in a game against Wests Tigers we fielded our second string side except for about 4-5 players, Campo, Jones, Lauitiiti, Swann, Seu Seu, even Meli from memory all sat out as the likes of David Myles ran the show... we still got the win, comfortably. A team that can't function without one or two players as he puts it is horribly imbalanced, or perhaps his motivational skills are not that good if deep down inside he feels his side are no chance of winning without those players - in his own words, it seems he feels one or two players make all the difference, not his motivational skills, not his tactical nouse, not the enthusiasm of the young players, nor the quality of the opposition or their performance, just one or two players.

What a Neville! How there cannot be any disrespect taken from those comments shows the measure of the man really.

Skinner

Coach
Mate - Sticky is just being Sticky. What on earth do you expect him to say.
He's talking up his team.....I'd expect that from any coach. To see it any
differently is just being precious ffs.

Scott

Bench
Stuart has shown he isn't the brightest coach. He never uses his full resourses. Never.

Go back to the 2002 GF, and a couple of benchies only got 10-12 minutes all game. Same in 2003 and 2004 and same yesterday with Charlie Tonga. He may as well just use 15 players a week.

He has got the best out of Wing, Fitzgibbon, Morley, Mini, Cross and a couple of others but with the exception of Mini, they have all had their time in the sun ans imo all are now just regular first graders.

Stuart relied very heavily on Fittler at the Roosters. With him gone, Stuart is no better than a John Lang or a Matt Elliott.

Very over rated coach imo.

Skinner

Coach
Scott said:
Stuart relied very heavily on Fittler at the Roosters. With him gone, Stuart is no better than a John Lang or a Matt Elliott.

Very over rated coach imo.

I seem to recall Lang winning a Premiership in 03 and Stuart winning
a State of Origin series in 05.......yep, obviously over rated.

Iafeta

Referee
FFS how do you get building up his own team out of that? Building up one or two players for sure, but a team is more than one or two players.

How do you get building up your own team by saying basically "we rely on two or so players" or "we can't do anything without two or so players" or "two or so players make all the difference," ergo "don't worry boys about your own performance, it comes down to those one or two players I'm thinking about." He even says further in the interview "today we didn't focus on a win for the top eight" or words to that effect. WTF? You didn't concentrate on bettering your chances for the top eight?

It's poor communication, and poor response motivation in my book. There's always an excuse with this bloke. As has been said elsewhere, for most of his coaching tenure he's had practically an all star squad. There are times when clubs don't have that luxury, we currently don't but we still get a few wins on the board.

This is not something that hasn't been noticed either mind you - within the space of 10 minutes I got four texts from four different Roosters fans not happy with his comments. If his own fans aren't entirely happy with that sort of comment, how must his own players feel about the inference that we rely on one or two players, and indirectly our coach has admitted he had little confidence of gaining the win in the game? That just drives down the confidence and motivation of his players.

Skinner

Coach
I didn't say building - I said talking up, a major difference. Whinging is
a part of Ricky's make up and it's expected. To even comment on it, means
that he has been effective in eliciting a reaction.....just ignore him. Enjoy
your teams win and move on to the next game.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
I feel for the young players and fans. To hear that from your own coach! Geeze!
But as Skinner said, who cares. He always has a big mouth and will continue to have a big mouth.

Top job Warriors!

MKEB...

Staff member
Go on Ricky name the two players that would change thw outcome...any two players.

Mini.. would have as much trouble with the bomb
Wing... Dont like the hard play
Flannery...possibly
Finch...needs a forward pack making the yards
Anasta..Needs a decent half back

Kakihara

Juniors
The roosters havnt exactly been on fire this year. I reckon we would of beaten them with their full squad yesterday.