What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
It's frustrating for sure but go have a look who is off contract that we can talk to right now. Players off contract in 23 is so thin and you "can't" make an offer for anyone off contract in 24 until Nov 1st. So unless you want more but just slightly different plodders the club is better waiting and hoping to get some early releases after Nov 1.

I'm don't think I'm exaggerating saying anyone we can grab now is a sideways move at best in the forwards.

I want signings too but am gonna temper expectations until then at least. Of course the club will still probably be useless then but at least this way I get a few weeks of hope 😂
I will go one step furthur
I am even prepared to see how our current players he keeps / signs (who we think are hopeless) go after a pre season under him and his coaching (if he is as good as we are hoping and think he is going to be)
I am not rating him like Bellamy who has form turning plodders into solid conforming wrestlers.. (oops) soldiers but the jury is out

Gardenia

Juniors
I dunno. I thought we let him go prematurely, but he played a season with Parramatta after he left us and only played a handful of first grade games for them. In the games I watched he looked very average. No doubt he has improved since then and his ESL highlights reel is impressive, but I can't help thinking ESL is the best place for him. Bringing him back would be a mistake both for him and for us.
Jai Field is the poor mans Dufty

Gardenia

Juniors
Just read that Andrew Lancaster will remain as chairmen for 2 more years. Board electing to scrap the year on year off system we had previously. Can be reelected as well after the 2 years. Board has also decided to removed the title of ‘Joint Venture’. We are now just 1 club. St George Illawarra Dragons.
Thats not earth shattering stuff to remove Joint Venture. Where do you see Joint Venture quoted in terms of our team? Not very often. Thats not enough of a change for mine. It should just be "The Dragons"

Mojo

Bench
Thats not earth shattering stuff to remove Joint Venture. Where do you see Joint Venture quoted in terms of our team? Not very often. Thats not enough of a change for mine. It should just be "The Dragons"
Exactly. But also: how about Illawarra just get over it and enjoy being part of the St George brand? The St George Dragons was a fantastic brand in the world of sports. FFS, let's just get back to it once and for all. This 'divide' has been so childish for so long.

possm

Coach
Yes, there is a lot more to do however, I've been calling for this change for a long time. Once WIN Corp purchased the shares, the joint venture ceased.

Some people used to say that the GF win count of 11 consecutive wins was only related to the period before the joint venture and did not count for St George Illawarra.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Yes, there is a lot more to do however, I've been calling for this change for a long time. Once WIN Corp purchased the shares, the joint venture ceased.

Some people used to say that the GF win count of 11 consecutive wins was only related to the period before the joint venture and did not count for St George Illawarra.
Some people also say "in the NRL era" in an effort to discount the previous Dragons wins. Needless to say, I don't agree with them!

TruSaint

Referee
Saw that Westpac Banking boss Peter King was present for that function last night. Wouldn’t be surprised if Westpac became our new main sponsor. Already sponsoring qld and nsw in origin.

They own St George bank, who pulled the pin.

Not sure what the structure is and how that would come to fruition. Mind you, I would be glad if you're right.