What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

I'll tell you what I expect from Flanno and you members can tell me if I'm expecting too much or if I am on the money.

1. I expect Flanno to build our brick-wall defense with the players he ends up with for season 2024.

2. I expect Flanno to insist that our players follow his instructions but to follow their instincts when in attack.

3. I expect to see our Flanno-coached players to back up the player who makes a break in attack.

4. I expect Flanno to insist on each player driving forward and looking for holes in the opposition's defense each time they run the ball.

5. Each Flanno-coached Saints player must demonstrate pride in the big red V in every game they play in 2024.
Reckon you are on the money Possm

Flanno builds his team with absolute commitment and pride in their defence. Attack build from that.

don’t expect his side to be consistently racking up high scores and letting in stacks of points.

he will be getting his side grinding teams to death first

True_Believer

Juniors
I disagree in part. I am sure you are right Twiggy is not handling the nuts and bolts or paperwork but would of been part of decision or had to at least endorse it all.
The sponsor and / or club receive more from each other than just it being a marketing ploy.
Besides you would never know what goes under the table (e.g. Laundy Hotels) as anything open is put into the salary cap or what benefits a sponsor may provide.
A major sponsor would want to see and, or help a club to do well as it potentially increases their exposure.
He may have signed off on it, but I think the benefit they get out of it is exposing the name and the company to the local area where they are trying to establish a business - pumping money into the community via a sporting club.

I mean, what benefits did we get out of the St George Bank for the past 40 years apart from the sponsorship? Laundy is a different beast - he's obviously a massive doggies supporter and actively involved in the club. But most sponsors don't seem to have that same level of interest outside of the major sponsorship.

I hope you are right and that the company does involve itself more, but I'm not holding my breath.

List of NRL Club Sponsors

Dragon David

First Grade
He may have signed off on it, but I think the benefit they get out of it is exposing the name and the company to the local area where they are trying to establish a business - pumping money into the community via a sporting club.

I mean, what benefits did we get out of the St George Bank for the past 40 years apart from the sponsorship? Laundy is a different beast - he's obviously a massive doggies supporter and actively involved in the club. But most sponsors don't seem to have that same level of interest outside of the major sponsorship.

I hope you are right and that the company does involve itself more, but I'm not holding my breath.

List of NRL Club Sponsors
What? So we only had one sponsor for 2023 - KFC - while the Doggies had 9 and Manly, Storm, Warriors like us and the rest a couple or multiple. Why wasn't St George Bank mentioned?

You are right when you said what benefits did we get from the St George Bank in all of the years they sponsored us. I know that I switched to that bank from the Commonwealth as a result and because I supported the Dragons so that helped St George Bank who were then able to use some of my money to pay for the sponsorship money to the club.

What? So we only had one sponsor for 2023 - KFC - while the Doggies had 9 and Manly, Storm, Warriors like us and the rest a couple or multiple. Why wasn't St George Bank mentioned?

You are right when you said what benefits did we get from the St George Bank in all of the years they sponsored us. I know that I switched to that bank from the Commonwealth as a result and because I supported the Dragons so that helped St George Bank who were then able to use some of my money to pay for the sponsorship money to the club.
So DD,
How has one year of KFC sponsorship affected you?
Should we seek a "man Shake" sponsorship?

Parko1310

Juniors
Sharks now favourites to sign AFB. However, the Telegraph has pics of Ryan Webb having coffee with the highly touted No One.
Can't find anything saying the Sharks are favourites for him. I think it's media BS that they're even going to be able to afford him. Tracey was on peanuts and Moylan on a reduced contract. Looking at who they have off contract in 2024, it's no one on big money. I honestly don't think the Sharks are a chance at all, haven't got the money. Even if they somehow got 700k from letting Moylan and Tracey go (don't see how that's possible), well they can't turn that into $1.1-$1.2million dollars can they. It'll be Dragons or Dogs. Unfortunately, most likely the latter.

redVinme

Bench
Can't find anything saying the Sharks are favourites for him. I think it's media BS that they're even going to be able to afford him. Tracey was on peanuts and Moylan on a reduced contract. Looking at who they have off contract in 2024, it's no one on big money. I honestly don't think the Sharks are a chance at all, haven't got the money. Even if they somehow got 700k from letting Moylan and Tracey go (don't see how that's possible), well they can't turn that into $1.1-$1.2million dollars can they. It'll be Dragons or Dogs. Unfortunately, most likely the latter.
Agree but remember the warriors want a player swap so there will be further monies going out from whatever team signs him.

Also 2025 and 2024 are very different proposals

Carrera28

Juniors
Reckon you are on the money Possm

Flanno builds his team with absolute commitment and pride in their defence. Attack build from that.

don’t expect his side to be consistently racking up high scores and letting in stacks of points.

he will be getting his side grinding teams to death first
I recall that was Wayne Bennett's philosophy when he was at Dragons. In 2009 he focused purely on defence and when he was criticised for the lack of attack, he said something along the lines that defence was much harder to develop and that with a good defence an attack would develop which it did in 2010.

Personally I would love to see a focus on defence and on defending for the full 80 minutes. I reckon we lost 3 or 4 games this year because we didn't perform the basics for the full 80 minutes and kind of dozed off at around the 60 minute mark.

RedVee_8

Juniors

Think that’d be a list of new sponsors for 23. Not all sponsors.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think Saints had great years since the merge in 1999 as they were always in the conversation for finals and were never thought of as ever getting a wooden spoon. To be honest since the Brian Smith Days Saints were a force each year and finals bound. It is only since 2012 it has been all downhill with rubbish coaching that started with 1 rookie, to another rookie then a guy sacked from 2 clubs cause they clearly saw he had nothing to make them a force. In all my time following Saints, these last few years and Price years are the only years I feared Saints would get the dreaded wooden spoon.

Hopefully Flanno makes 2024 the year Saints get back on track and are finals bound every year going forward and not mentioned when it comes to wooden spoons.

I see 2 coaches panicking and buying anyone they can to fix cracks as they have no faith in what they have and 1 coach that is not panicking and putting faith in what he has already as he knows that the reason for the previous seasons was poor performance due to the coach and not the players. This 1 coach is a premiership winner and the other 2 are rookies. I would rather have a gun coach and good cattle rather than great cattle and a $hite coach. We saw first hand how that pans out as we had great players under the 3 duds much like the Dogs and Tigers have now.

All I am hoping in 2024 is that at the end of it people are saying the buy of the season is our coach and not a player like this year. To me Webster was the best buy of the season in 2023, not Reece Walsh or whoever you feel. If Flanno can emulate Webster we will be stoked. In fact, Webster is so confident in his ability and his team that he is letting one of the best go in AFB.

AFB is a Saints junior, that should be a huge advantage in getting him across. Why wouldn't he want to win a comp with the team his started his footy career. The only thing I feel that Saints don't have is TPA's that can throw money at a player like the Dogs do or Tigers. Sharks have a huge advantage as they are more likely to be finals bound but they have the same issue as the Dogs and Tigers and that is a rookie coach that has won nothing. If AFB does go to the Tigers/Dogs it will be because of money then good luck to him and the club as I have seen this so many times that players get comfortable with all the cash they are getting and drop in performance. There is a good chance it will happen to AFB.

If he wants to win a comp, surely he has more chance under Flanno than a rookie that is for sure. I cannot wait till he finally makes his decision.

Saw a post they looking to do a swap with whatever team he signs with. If he signs with Dragons it is Su'A
Guess it depends upon how badly we want AFB.
Warriors won't accept our discards; they want better than average quality.

Oddly, early November on foxsports.com.au, Shane Flanagan revealed that the club is currently involved in negotiations to extend the contract of Jaydn Su'A.
Haven't heard zip yet.

Perhaps there is some 'Flanagan shenanigans' going on with Warriors RE AFB contracts/swaps (Su'A) 2024/2025 etc.

Hate to lose Su'A, but he has asked for releases previously and also missed backend of last season due to injury/instability in his shoulder.

If he does go, then Blore will be close to a must.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
I recall that was Wayne Bennett's philosophy when he was at Dragons. In 2009 he focused purely on defence and when he was criticised for the lack of attack, he said something along the lines that defence was much harder to develop and that with a good defence an attack would develop which it did in 2010.

Personally I would love to see a focus on defence and on defending for the full 80 minutes. I reckon we lost 3 or 4 games this year because we didn't perform the basics for the full 80 minutes and kind of dozed off at around the 60 minute mark.
18-0 is so much more satisfying than 48-30

SEAT 1A

Bench
Saw a post they looking to do a swap with whatever team he signs with. If he signs with Dragons it is Su'A

It seems that the club needs to offer one of our best to get him or we are out of race.

If NZ want a swap and Su'A hasn't extended and still not happy, why not. They were interested in JDB also.

Eisenhuth, could fill the spot and hopefully turn out similar to Jarrod Saffy. Hard as nails and had a ripper of a game in the 2010 GF.

Newcomerfan01

Juniors
It seems that the club needs to offer one of our best to get him or we are out of race.

If NZ want a swap and Su'A hasn't extended and still not happy, why not. They were interested in JDB also.

Eisenhuth, could fill the spot and hopefully turn out similar to Jarrod Saffy. Hard as nails and had a ripper of a game in the 2010 GF.
I though Su'a came out and said there was no truth to asking for a release. My source says he wants to stay, but offer wasnt close to what other clubs are offering.

We need a middle like AFB but losing Su'a will without a doubt cause us weakness on the edges. Im not a fan of Bird on the edge unless Flanno can get the better out of him. Can Sele play on the edge?

TheRev

First Grade
AFB can choose his club before any player swap is considered.. however perhaps he gets to move a year earlier if he chooses a club that has a feasible player swap.

I dont however understand how that works.. because if im Su'a (or Kikau or Stefano), i've got no desire to uproot my family and go live in NZ, unless there is some big pay packet in it.. they dont have to say yes... even if its just for 1 year.