What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
I don't necessarily disagree but I think RCG would've been good for us. As some have pointed out, he's not some special front rower, and we needed more to compliment him, but for our squad I think he would've been good. Now if the Broncs are offering him 3 years then that is just plain dumb, but I would have to assume it will also be 2 years.. meaning we just missed out because we were too slow and dumb in getting something done. D Saf does not improve us enough either, is known as a lazy trainer and player, and will not provide the same level of experience to our younger guys as someone like RCG. The sticking point for me with D Saf is this: the only front rower that will be going to market that improves us significantly himself is Leo Thompson, so he is who we desperately need. If we go back to the table for D Saf, all we do is help the Knights keep Thompson. There is now basically no one available to compliment D Saf in a front row partnership that improves us enough to be a threat. We will be no more than a team sitting between 6th-10th spot, whereas complimenting someone like Thompson with another decent front rower takes us higher up the table. D Saf + Thompson would be good, but considering they're from the same side, it won't happen. Knights will just end up keeping Thompson if D Saf signs anywhere else.
Maybe but they have more cap pressure elsewhere especially Ponga on 1.4m highest paid player
That is why they want to get rid of Brailey Elliott and others
RCG would be fine for us but DS can be turned to improve whichever way you think he is lacking on or off the field by a good strong coach as us young enough
It happens sometimes and don’t we know it when someone is overpaid fir too long
RCG has reached his peak and the only way is down
Thompson will stay regardless him and JS would be their only decent props left

Parko1310

Juniors
Glad to know you're in the inner circle and know what the circumstances were......
Or...........Maybe SF did what's best for the long term good for the club by not doing a bad deal? I wouldn't call that slow or dumb.
Not saying that, I'm saying if the Broncs offer is 2 years (as I would assume 3 years for RCG is too long for anyone), then we simply missed out. 2 years wouldn't be a bad deal.. that's what we were always going for. This deal has been going on for over a month.. that is slow business. Not pinning it on Flano, he's got a team to coach. The club, the so called GM, the CEO and the board need to do better. Employ some people in the right positions and move on people like Haran. It is obvious in this case and many others that we have failed because of slow, incompetent business

possm

Coach
He has to want to come to Saints

If he isn’t interested, we are better off blooding Tonga and Stewart

We will struggle for 2 years

How is that any different to playing has beens.

Nothing special about Gillard.

Better to offer Leo Thompson massive overs and a long contract than Gillard.
It's not a matter of playing RCG, Tonga, or Stewart. I'm sure we are committed to developing our talented juniors. However, now we are looking for experienced first-grade props who are above the level of Larie and the Couchman boys. A prop rotation of two new props plus Molo and Couchman would be ideal. The remaining props who are still under contract can move on or spend 2025 playing in reserve-grade.

The Couchman boys are being prepared for regular first-grade duties and there is no reason why Tonga and Stewart would not be treaded the same if they are ready and have performed well during off-season training.

possm

Coach
Your right, we need to move Haran, Millward and Millard on. Our CEO (Web) needs to be more assertive. The Board really should not be involved at this level.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
The way D-SAF basically told his club to get stuffed recently ie he will stay if he wants to and won’t be pushed anywhere …….. for me that actually felt like Newcastle were making it hard for him

ie newcastle didnt want to pay part of his salary ongoing

now less options for Newcastle

I wonder whether we have struck an in principle agreement with DSaf and POS ?

Ie we are more comfortable with 3yrs for Dsaf and better value for us if newcastle tip in some vs we didn’t want to do full freight 3yrs for RCG when he is 31yrs old

Daniel only just turned 28yrs old

big difference in age vs RCG

or

just like Holmes not looking likely at the last minute for us and the media spin…….is RCG still a chance as a Dragon?

Last edited:

qld redvee

Juniors
The way D-SAF basically told his club to get stuffed recently ie he will stay if he wants to and won’t be pushed anywhere …….. for me that actually felt like Newcastle were making it hard for him

Ie we are more comfortable with 3yrs for Dsaf and better value for us if newcastle tip in some vs we didn’t want to do full freight 3yrs for RCG when he is 31yrs old

Triple m on weekend mentioned that there was about 50k difference between dolphins offer and what Newcastle were willing to tip in reckon there offer pretty close to flannos.if flanno believes he can develop him into the right player then bite the bullet up our offer and reach an agreement otherwise miss him and wait to make another low offer to the next player

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

I think with DSaif he is on something like $800-850k or thereabouts, he wants more to relocate, he is saying, I'm on $850k, if I have to move to QLD or Wollongong he has to uproot his whole family and then they need to rent somewhere to live etc all this extra that he needs to spend so he wants an increase in salary to compensate him or he will stay in Newcastle with his $850k.
Obviously we as a club are trying to get him for around $600k and get Newcastle to chip in the rest, Dolphins are willing to go to $700K supposedly but again he wants extra, stalemate currently.
Join us next week for another episode of "Day of our lives in the NRL"

Dragon David

First Grade
RCG officially released by Eels so he must have found a club
So he becomes a reject because Ryles doesn't want him or should I say not worth the money for his age and length of contract RCG wants so not required and then the Eels able to
sign younger guys and keep other players instead and the money saved on RCG will help?

No use talking about this now as Flanno clearly has said that "RCG won't be joining the club and we move on".

justadragon

Bench
Is it worth another preseason on Fafita to see if we can get him up to scratch? He certainly has the size, I’m thinking 1 year at $200/300,000 might be worth the risk especially if cake leaves.
Hewi I think he was on record saying he wanted to go back to the Northern Beaches.

dungay dragon

Juniors
So he becomes a reject because Ryles doesn't want him or should I say not worth the money for his age and length of contract RCG wants so not required and then the Eels able to
sign younger guys and keep other players instead and the money saved on RCG will help?

No use talking about this now as Flanno clearly has said that "RCG won't be joining the club and we move on".
Dave
Didnt he buy a property at Camden recently ??
Fair drive to Suncorp ..Shorter to the Gong or Jubilee
Still believe there is more to play out here ..
The response from Brisb fans on radio today was a big NO to the idea...much preferring Welch BUT they need to move some on to fit anyone in
How ironic the Broncs n Barrett
He goes there as assistant ...The Drums are beating that Kevvie will be lucky to last 8 weeks into next year , if results dont fall , and then Barrett will be thrust thrust into another De facto head coaching role by default..
Does that make it 3 gigs or 4 ???

justadragon

Bench
Correct , however an incentive to stay and no offer from Manly might be enough.
Yeah agreed, I've seen him play a few times, always seems to be at 80% and not for long minutes, on one occasion he looked totally disinterested. Maybe things can change, personally I think Tuitavake and Coric are better options.

Latest posts