What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

denis preston

First Grade
6 ft 4, 110kg and hungry for 1st grade. Great pick up and just what we need. A few young blokes like him and Faamausili is just what the doctor ordered

Could be a great pick up and the experienced coaching team could get the discipline into his game. Just remember how we picked up Vaughan & Weyman ( one from reserve grade & one with real discipline issues ).

getsmarty

Immortal
Last edited:

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Tedesco re-signs with Roosters until 2024

The retention of Tedesco is a major coup for Roosters coach Trent Robinson's plans for the future with 13 players off-contract at the end of the 2021 season including Angus Crichton, Daniel Tupou, Jake Friend and Sitili Tupouniua.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/07/tedesco-re-signs-with-roosters-until-2024/

3.3 Mill according to Fox

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/7273f956ebe9edc471da332a1753b778

.......and still under the cap.
That's pretty impressive and when you consider they will still have more cap space for any other player that comes on the market, the Rorters have the game sewn up, not to mention the NRL accountants.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Could be a great pick up and the experienced coaching team could get the discipline into his game. Just remember how we picked up Vaughan & Weyman ( one from reserve grade & one with real discipline issues ).

Nice interview with Jack Bird on the official Dragons site today. With recruitment being what it is & looking at our squad for next year I think you can say for us to be successful in 2021 there are 3 areas that are critical to any success;

Ben Hunt needs to step up & have a fantastic year at 7. He’s the marquee signing & he needs to start playing like it.

Tariq Sims & Jack Bird need to be inquiry free & return to Origin form. We simply don’t have the depth to cover any long injury layoffs.

The kids in the backline need to live up to the hype. At 20 Zack Lomax is our most experienced player. If they struggle particularly in defence we are going to be in big trouble

Gareth67

First Grade
Nice interview with Jack Bird on the official Dragons site today. With recruitment being what it is & looking at our squad for next year I think you can say for us to be successful in 2021 there are 3 areas that are critical to any success;

Ben Hunt needs to step up & have a fantastic year at 7. He’s the marquee signing & he needs to start playing like it.

Tariq Sims & Jack Bird need to be inquiry free & return to Origin form. We simply don’t have the depth to cover any long injury layoffs.

The kids in the backline need to live up to the hype. At 20 Zack Lomax is our most experienced player. If they struggle particularly in defence we are going to be in big trouble

Good post Maddragon , I believe that you are on the money there with your analysis of the team requirements as far as performance is concerned .

Also the point about Lomax being the eldest of the backs should Griffo decide to give the Dragon youth their opportunity in the top grade .

For mine I do hope that will be the case- select the young guns from day 1 and run with them , bearing in mind that there will be every chance that Norman shall also be selected and at least imo whilst he is in the team the win / lost ratio will not be in our favor .

Therefore Bird must eventually come into calculations to return to 5/8 should Norman fail , to me a distinct probability and he will give that steadying influence that the younger backline players will undoubtedly need .

Gareth67

First Grade
Tedesco re-signs with Roosters until 2024

The retention of Tedesco is a major coup for Roosters coach Trent Robinson's plans for the future with 13 players off-contract at the end of the 2021 season including Angus Crichton, Daniel Tupou, Jake Friend and Sitili Tupouniua.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/07/tedesco-re-signs-with-roosters-until-2024/

3.3 Mill according to Fox

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/7273f956ebe9edc471da332a1753b778

“ The best players , the best staff , yada , yada , yada . He forgot to mention the best NRL C.E.O . . . .

Drakon

Juniors

Not taking into account rep games. Here is the 1st grade experience in the backs as it stands.

Dufty - 24 yrs - 67 games
Ravalawa - 23 yrs, 35 games
Ramsey - 20 yrs, 3 games
Feagai, 19 yrs, 2 games
Lomax - 21 yrs, 37 games
Williame - 27 yrs, 111 games (NRL and Super League)
Pereira - 27 yrs, 35 games
Sullivan, 19 yrs, 1 game
Clune - 25 yrs, 15 games
Norman - 29 yrs, 206 games
Hunt - 30 yrs, 252 games

denis preston

First Grade

Ben Hunt is a very good player, just not elite or anywhere near a Mill a year value. What he needs is the forwards winning the arm wrestle to give him the extra half second to do what he has to do.May help Norman as well but i dont even categorize him as a good player ( myth ) . If hook can get the forwards holding their own and even dominating some games the backs will take care of themselves. Like that so far the coaching staff hasn't grabbed the next player out there and are calculating to who they want.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons not in Smith hunt as clubs circle
  • National Sport
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Brandon Smith has been given permission by Melbourne to talk with rival NRL clubs.
    St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has all but ruled out making a play for Brandon Smith as the Melbourne hooker eyes a new NRL club in 2022.

Despite playing as a bench forward this season, the New Zealand international sees himself as a starting No.9 and won't compete for a spot with good friend Harry Grant at the Storm should Cameron Smith retire.

On Monday Smith's agent sent an email to 14 NRL clubs notifying them of his availability for 2022 - with a release from Melbourne conditional on getting a player of similar calibre in return.

It's understood the email sparked interest from a number of NRL clubs willing to offer Smith a No.9 role, but the Dragons are not one of them.

With Cameron McInnes, Ben Hunt and Billy Brittain on the books as hooking options, Griffin said the club is unlikely to make a play for Smith although they have salary cap space to spend.

"It's a nice story, everyone got an email because they're covering their tracks by the sounds of it," he told Big Sports Breakfast.

"We've got people like McInnes and Ben Hunt here and a couple young hookers in the system.

"(Recruiting Smith) is something we haven't addressed.

"We do have some capacity left that we're being patient with and over the off-season we'll pick up a couple of more purchases but we certainly haven't been down that path to look at Brandon."

The Wests Tigers, Manly and Canterbury have been mentioned as likely destinations for the 24-year-old Smith.

Michael Maguire has spent time with Smith as coach of the Kiwis, while the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles could use a quality hooker to bolster their spine.

The only club that wasn't included on the email list was Gold Coast, although they are likely to be interested in luring him to the club.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/7045947/dragons-not-in-smith-hunt-as-clubs-circle/?cs=4783

Maddragon99

Juniors
Good post Maddragon , I believe that you are on the money there with your analysis of the team requirements as far as performance is concerned .

Also the point about Lomax being the eldest of the backs should Griffo decide to give the Dragon youth their opportunity in the top grade .

For mine I do hope that will be the case- select the young guns from day 1 and run with them , bearing in mind that there will be every chance that Norman shall also be selected and at least imo whilst he is in the team the win / lost ratio will not be in our favor .

Therefore Bird must eventually come into calculations to return to 5/8 should Norman fail , to me a distinct probability and he will give that steadying influence that the younger backline players will undoubtedly need .

If Norman doesn’t step up I hope Sullivan get next go & kills it.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Ben Hunt is a very good player, just not elite or anywhere near a Mill a year value. What he needs is the forwards winning the arm wrestle to give him the extra half second to do what he has to do.May help Norman as well but i dont even categorize him as a good player ( myth ) . If hook can get the forwards holding their own and even dominating some games the backs will take care of themselves. Like that so far the coaching staff hasn't grabbed the next player out there and are calculating to who they want.

Very telling that the Tigers were able to shift Reynolds, shows how little Norman is rated out in the market.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Agree with both comments, I like Hooks communication so far, no bullshit :thumbsup::thumbsup:

yeah Hook is a pro a very refreshing change. Brandon Smith would only add more confusion.

I posted months ago that I felt that McInnes would be sacrificed. Hunt can step into dummy half in ‘22 & ‘23 by then it’ll be impossible to hold Clune, Sullivan or Amone out of first grade.

Old Timer

Coach
yeah Hook is a pro a very refreshing change. Brandon Smith would only add more confusion.

I posted months ago that I felt that McInnes would be sacrificed. Hunt can step into dummy half in ‘22 & ‘23 by then it’ll be impossible to hold Clune, Sullivan or Amone out of first grade.
Under the correct coaching and with a forward pack that plays something other than the "power" game Mc Innes will surpass anything Hunt can do at Hooker.

The Hunt to hooker thought process is all about people justifying a half that isn't firing as was the case with Norman to FB.

Almost all the praise for Hunt at 9 comes of a few kicks out of dummy half (shame he can't kick well in the 7 jumper) and with Sowie on board I am positive Mc Innes will learn that craft very well.

Hunt & Norman are halves and nothing else and thank god for Hook who will play them at 7 & 6 and if the don't cut it they will be playing 7 & 6 in CC.

BBTB

Juniors
Under the correct coaching and with a forward pack that plays something other than the "power" game Mc Innes will surpass anything Hunt can do at Hooker.

The Hunt to hooker thought process is all about people justifying a half that isn't firing as was the case with Norman to FB.

Almost all the praise for Hunt at 9 comes of a few kicks out of dummy half (shame he can't kick well in the 7 jumper) and with Sowie on board I am positive Mc Innes will learn that craft very well.

Hunt & Norman are halves and nothing else and thank god for Hook who will play them at 7 & 6 and if the don't cut it they will be playing 7 & 6 in CC.
Certainly, hope your right... OT.

Latest posts