What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dracarys

Juniors
Way off topic but reading Sloan talking about pressure reminded me of Keith Miller as a young tyro in the Australian cricket team post -war. Asked about pressure of being an all rounder in the side the ex- pilot just laughed and said “this isn’t pressure , pressure is when you’ve got a Messerschmitt on your arse…I don’t feel pressure on a cricket field”

Old Timer

Coach
Way off topic but reading Sloan talking about pressure reminded me of Keith Miller as a young tyro in the Australian cricket team post -war. Asked about pressure of being an all rounder in the side the ex- pilot just laughed and said “this isn’t pressure , pressure is when you’ve got a Messerschmitt on your arse…I don’t feel pressure on a cricket field”
Miller would have made a great James Bond
Didn't mind wearing a tux and according to some no stranger at The Palace

DamoV

Juniors
Surprised to read to Moga is the best mentor for a lot of the juniors. Whilst that’s made me like him more, it does make me worry a little about the potential lack of mentorship from some others I’d have expected. Hunt, De Belin, Lomax, Simms etc. Maybe I’m over reading it. The team as a whole will need to gel to be successful this year.

Gareth67

First Grade
Surprised to read to Moga is the best mentor for a lot of the juniors. Whilst that’s made me like him more, it does make me worry a little about the potential lack of mentorship from some others I’d have expected. Hunt, De Belin, Lomax, Simms etc. Maybe I’m over reading it. The team as a whole will need to gel to be successful this year.

No disrespect my friend and my memory certainly is not what it once was , but didn’t the man move to the Brisbane Broncos after they made him an offer ?

BLM01

First Grade
My opinion is the fact he is back and he mentors our young stars who are also backs in the Top 30 is a no brainer. His experience with injury, recovery, not wanted by clubs etc and dealing with all that and coming back still fighting to a degree + was earmarked years ago as a youngster, a potential "big star"..so yeh makes sense

RedVee

First Grade
I think it’s because he is an outside back and was a ‘next big thing’ himself

Old Timer

Coach
I'll have a go.
1 Sloan
2 Mogo
3 Sui
4 Lomax
5 Rava
6 Junior
7 Hunt
8 McGuire (Lawrie)
9 Mac
10 Molo
11 Sua
12 Sims
13 JDB
14 Mybe
15 Bird
16 Woods
17 Burgess
CC
The telling fact about your side is that our reserve grade side is very healthy with a blend some highly experienced 1st graders, some youth learning their craft with a bit of 1st grade experience and a bit of youthful exuberance thrown in for good measure.

A far better position than where we were 2 or 3 years ago well done to Hook & Co.

Dragon David

First Grade
The telling fact about your side is that our reserve grade side is very healthy with a blend some highly experienced 1st graders, some youth learning their craft with a bit of 1st grade experience and a bit of youthful exuberance thrown in for good measure.

A far better position than where we were 2 or 3 years ago well done to Hook & Co.
It is good that our depth is much stronger than in the past few years. There will be good competition amongst the players vying for first grade spots and when there are serious injuries (hope not too many) and suspensions (again, hope not too many), we will have the replacement players available who are more or less as good as the affected injured/suspended players or any player not playing up to scratch for that matter.

I'm just hoping that Bennett and his recruiter O'Sullivan, keep their greedy hands off of our young ones.

Gareth67

First Grade
And just when NRL clubs thought it was safe to go back into the water . . . . We now discover that the Rorters are rebuilding their team . Lock up your players whilst they are still wearing your team’s jersey !9FA659AF-0ED3-47C2-A461-D9702D0238B7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

jak

Bench
And just when NRL clubs thought it was safe to go back into the water . . . . We now discover that the Rorters are rebuilding their team . Lock up your players whilst they are still wearing your team’s jersey !View attachment 57935
just how many players will the chooks get for $2 million, it would have to be between five and ten at least ?

Trifili13

Juniors
The Cheese is there the following year so I would say about $800k is already taken up. It would then be a case of how many others are let go at the end of this year, how many others are upgraded and what other cap space they have available. Given that we keep hearing that players are happy to play for unders at the Roosters, I have done the sums and estimate that they will be able to squeeze in about 3 or 4 $1m players with the $2m salary cap space that they will have and still have room for a mid season signing in case they get injuries.

possm

Coach
My opinion is the fact he is back and he mentors our young stars who are also backs in the Top 30 is a no brainer. His experience with injury, recovery, not wanted by clubs etc and dealing with all that and coming back still fighting to a degree + was earmarked years ago as a youngster, a potential "big star"..so yeh makes sense
I would have thought that some of our former Kangaroo backs such as Cooper, Gasnier, Nightingale, even the Morris boys would have been approached to mentor our youngsters.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I would have thought that some of our former Kangaroo backs such as Cooper, Gasnier, Nightingale, even the Morris boys would have been approached to mentor our youngsters.
Jason Nightingale has been very much involved with the club for the last couple of years.

Keep in mind that most of these guys have post-career jobs to consider.

Yow

Juniors
How many chooks players get there money for being an a mentor for wingers halfbacks forwards when they retire

Gareth67

First Grade
just how many players will the chooks get for $2 million, it would have to be between five and ten at least ?

Quite a few jak , they could completely wipe out Bennett’s new buys for the Dolphins . 😳

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jak

Gareth67

First Grade
2E685D04-004A-4156-B774-DACAD5666B5F.jpeg
“ Steak , eggs & chips - urgh , we eat real men’s food in Kiwi land - it’s KFC or nothing ! “

Last edited: