What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The question re: Tariq (and its an assuption that this is even in the pipeline), what are the reasons ro keep him v's what are the reasons to let him go?

If the reason is depth - Tariq is primarily an edge backrower. Bird played there yesterday and did a reasonably good job. We also have young Burns and we signed Jetski, there's also Fui (if not suspended) and Ford. At a stretch we could also promote young O'Ofou or Sherab.
If you consider using him as a prop, then again we have plenty of depth there also.

Would there be an advantage to let him go? Of course, and the obvious is salary cap and the flexibility of bring in one of our juniors into the top 30 ie Jayden Hunt or Josh Coric or even Michael Molo. Other reasons could be that having 'sour grapes' about being told he's not wanted may lead to a less than 100% effort, common to drop your bundle when given that type of news. Another is current fitness level and would be several weeks off full fitness given his late return to training at full level (as mentioned by Hook).

Not saying any othis is fact but it maybe why this rumour gas popped up. Tariq seems to be on the outer so, is it prudent to wipe the butt and move on. Having a de-stabilizing influence would really impact us negatively, imo.

Lastly, if this rumour is factual, and again not suggesting it is, the question also is who contacted who first? Tariq to the Storm, or the Storm to Tariq? If it's the former, then he was always going when he found a better deal.
It may also shine some light on Hook's answer to a question yesterday re: " is this the squad you want" (to that effect), and his answer basically "no".

We will need Sims once he is fully fit. I do get a bit of a funny feeling about his omission but letting him go now will only be weakening our squad and prospects.

No way in hell does our coach release him, especially to Melbourne.
U less of course we can swap him for young Wyshart

Reactions: jak

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Dad was a st George junior but we grew up on the north side of Sydney

His uncle played for balmain

Northern beaches was most of my youth

I can remember when Max, wombat and Randall came and changed the septic tanks to the sewer in the mid 70s at our house

The street went nuts for the manly icons

I almost switched to the Eagles like every other kid in the street........but dad turned to me and said "not on my watch....you are a dragon"

Well

The rest is history

I'm still a dragon

Dragon David

First Grade
Dad was a st George junior but we grew up on the north side of Sydney

His uncle played for balmain

Northern beaches was most of my youth

I can remember when Max, wombat and Randall came and changed the septic tanks to the sewer in the mid 70s at our house

The street went nuts for the manly icons

I almost switched to the Eagles like every other kid in the street........but dad turned to me and said "not on my watch....you are a dragon"

Well

The rest is history

I'm still a dragon
Good on you Auntie.Gerald

Dragon David

First Grade
My father took me to Jubilee Oval for my first live match in 1960- got Norm Provan's autograph- before that used to huddle around the HMV radio listening to John Brennan calling the ressies on 2SM and then Frank Hyde the firsts. Those were the days.
You didn't need colour TV in those days. Just listening and visualising it was great. Frank described the games really well.

Dracarys

Juniors
I can't be the only one who wants to see Sims in the team and make a statement?? He owes the club that pays him a string of performances worthy of his rep selection.
No reason why he can't play in the front row with less minutes than previous years. Hook may think otherwise but that's where I'd have him.

Mojo

Bench
Johnny Warren visited our local park in Green Valley in mid-late 60s. All the kids were talking about it. We were a backwater and no one gave a shit about us... and vice versa. As a 7-year-old, I didn't know who Johnny Warren was, but I later learned he was the best known soccer player in the country, and he played for St George.
The next week we all playing soccer in the streets, in addition to Rugby League and cricket.
Then we got funding for a community centre. It was a big deal at the time.
IMO, sports people reaching out actually does make a difference.
My three cousins played soccer for St George (and for Australia). Johnny Warren was their mentor and team mate when they progressed. I played for the Brighton Le Sands Police Boys Club. We used to lose every game by epic margins, but I scored a goal against Saints and my uncle asked me to join their team. I wasn't interested because it wasn’t rugby league. We had an Under 16 league side that won the comp undefeated. If it was daylight we were playing footy. Every young bloke used to have permanently grass stained knees in those days.Dennis Pittard visited our school and was generally considered to have entered enemy territory.

ALSGI

Bench
My three cousins played soccer for St George (and for Australia). Johnny Warren was their mentor and team mate when they progressed. I played for the Brighton Le Sands Police Boys Club. We used to lose every game by epic margins, but I scored a goal against Saints and my uncle asked me to join their team. I wasn't interested because it wasn’t rugby league. We had an Under 16 league side that won the comp undefeated. If it was daylight we were playing footy. Every young bloke used to have permanently grass stained knees in those days.Dennis Pittard visited our school and was generally considered to have entered enemy territory.
Wasn’t that Rockdale Police Boys? I played for them in the early 70’s.

Trifili13

Juniors
They wouldn't be the O'Shea brothers?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
You didn't need colour TV in those days. Just listening and visualising it was great. Frank described the games really well.
Yes- Frank would colourfully critique the way teams were playing ( "they're not tackling- standing around like Brown's cows"). I always thought that Frank was a bit sick of the Dragons winning all the time and it sometimes showed in a lowering of his voice when we scored a try. But, to his credit, he was always fair with his Seiko man of the match awards and Johnny Raper won so many he could have started up his own Seiko franchise. While Frank also waxed lyrical about Puff ( "like a bird in flight" was one of his more memorable descriptions of Reg's running style) I think Frank considered Raper the best footballer he had ever seen.