What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Two great bits of news. I've met Ben Creagh and he came across as an intelligent and thoughtful man. Hopefully he will bring some energy to the Board. We need a proper analysis of the pathways system in comparison to Penrith to see what we can do to emulate the fantastic things they've done over the last 5 to 10 years, perhaps Ben could be asked to focus on this and report through to Webb with recommendations.

Very pleased to hear about Sullivan changing his mind. Well done Webb for staying calm in the face of a horrific media beat up and getting the result the fans wanted. I think he should be our utility bench player for the start of the season in place of Mbye. Moses hasn't done anything wrong, but Sullivan needs experience. This could be the first step in giving him more first team pitch time, with the coach able to bring him on when the opportunity arises.
And unlike Hunt, M'bye would actually be open to doing something in the best interest of the club. Even if it meant he played reggies

Old Timer

Coach
Mybe is dumped on far too often.

He is a reasonable quality “depth” player capable of doing a job as back up and unfortunately is not a week in week out regular 1st grader.

There have been many similar players who are “almost but not quite” types.

If there are no injuries he would serve us well leading our young brigade in Reggie’s but alas he will also take a position that some think a young up and comer should have to gain experience.

A difficult balancing act at the best of times but for sure our Reggie’s need the likes of an Mybe to do some preparatory work with the young ones prior to them arriving at Hook’s or for that matter any one else’s door.

Dragon David

First Grade
Mybe is dumped on far too often.

He is a reasonable quality “depth” player capable of doing a job as back up and unfortunately is not a week in week out regular 1st grader.

There have been many similar players who are “almost but not quite” types.

If there are no injuries he would serve us well leading our young brigade in Reggie’s but alas he will also take a position that some think a young up and comer should have to gain experience.

A difficult balancing act at the best of times but for sure our Reggie’s need the likes of an Mybe to do some preparatory work with the young ones prior to them arriving at Hook’s or for that matter any one else’s door.
Yes, I agree OT.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I thought Mbye was bought in to cover hooker and I expected him to play much more in that position. I thought he would be the regular 9 and get more game time than Macca that is for sure. Hook had other ideas. Mates first I suppose. Mbye played well when at 9 so I would persist there. Sullivan and Mbye share the 9 would be a good start. Better still Mbye play 9 and Hunt to have some stints during the game at 9 and bring on Bud for 20-30 mins a game.

Macca should take the hint and retire.

Gareth67

First Grade
I thought Mbye was bought in to cover hooker and I expected him to play much more in that position. I thought he would be the regular 9 and get more game time than Macca that is for sure. Hook had other ideas. Mates first I suppose. Mbye played well when at 9 so I would persist there. Sullivan and Mbye share the 9 would be a good start. Better still Mbye play 9 and Hunt to have some stints during the game at 9 and bring on Bud for 20-30 mins a game.

Macca should take the hint ? Unfortunately the man is that slow , that it would take him the entire 2023 season for him to exit stage left . 😳

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach

Alas Hunt as the “marquis” player was directing the coaching staff as to who should play 9.

In many ways and correctly so the half knows what he needs out of dummy half so it’s all about the quality of the pass and Hunt says that A M is the best for him and in respect if the “quality” of the pass I would agree with Hunt however the speed of the pass is also important and on that note Mybe is IMO far better than A M.

When someone is on $900K + / annum and in the spine he should be having some say as to what “he” needs and the coach needs to listen to that as well which is obviously what Hook did.

In the end it sits in the coach’s domain but to some extent it also sits with the fact that we have Hunt and he is trying to get what’s best for him and ultimately the team.

So if the coach is clueless then Hunt is even more so and tgat is a huge problem but let’s not forget he is the half that si many thought we had to have.

Old saying be careful what you wish for.

Rod Coil

Juniors
Can someone please post the article that dropped last night in the Mercury about the Dragons - it’s behind a paywall. Thanks

BLM01

First Grade
Bronx Goodwin is our NSW Cup Coach for 2023 -

More nepotism?, good appointment?. No real experience...Yes meteoric rise as the say.
Well has to be better than Aitken.. hopefully.
All though it was mentioned about a month ago on another thread he got the gig I think by others

Dragon David

First Grade
More nepotism?, good appointment?. No real experience...Yes meteoric rise as the say.
All though it was mentioned about a month ago on another thread he got the gig I think by others
Yes, I read it somewhere on the Forum too. Who knows what the kid will bring to the reserve grade squad? We need someone far better than that other Aitken fellow who wasn't able to get the team to play consistently well to enable more pressure to be applied on the first grade guys. I hope Bronx does do a lot better for us.

We have younger guys now in the coaching ranks which I think will be good and they might be a blessing in disguise and not afraid to do things that are not of the norm.

Old Timer

Coach
f**k the press for the way they present information.

The words they use like bloodline, dynasty, royalty, bla bla are only inflammatory padding and is what often causes the negativity in this place.

FMD Ted only played a 100 games for the club himself.

Good luck to Bronx hopefully he has what it takes to help prepare these young men for the meteoric step up from reggies to NRL and that the 1st grade coaching staff actually get some kids that have all the "basic's right.

A "reggies" side that can leak less than half of what they did this year would be a great start.

TruSaint

Referee

The words they use like bloodline, dynasty, royalty, bla bla are only inflammatory padding and is what often causes the negativity in this place.

Good luck to Bronx hopefully he has what it takes to help prepare these young men for the meteoric step up from reggies to NRL and that the 1st grade coaching staff actually get some kids that have all the "basic's right.

A "reggies" side that can leak less than half of what they did this year would be a great start.

Tad harsh me thinks OT.

Lord Ted scored one of the best ever trys in have ever seen in the 77 GF.

Yes he only played just over 110 games for us, but his total games played overall were less than 150. He played 6 games for Newtown and 20 odd for the Magpies.

In my eyes, he is a Saints icon.

Dragons4me

Juniors

"The words they use like bloodline, dynasty, royalty, bla bla are only inflammatory padding and is what often causes the negativity in this place."

Great post. So true. I just take comfort in the fact I have no knowledge nor interest in the author or who they represent. Best part is I have no financial involvement in them. Farts in a tornado. That's the sum total of their influence in my eyes.

Old Timer

Coach
Tad harsh me thinks OT.

Lord Ted scored one of the best ever trys in have ever seen in the 77 GF.

Yes he only played just over 110 games for us, but his total games played overall were less than 150. He played 6 games for Newtown and 20 odd for the Magpies.

In my eyes, he is a Saints icon.
I was there to see that and many other things the Great Lord Ted did but IMO the correct terminology for him is "mercurial".

He was a great servant of the club during his time but there is no Goodwin "Dynasty" and never was and trying to invoke that about Bronx is just shit journalism.

The press have obviously forgotten the pasting and humiliating treatment they gave Lord Ted when he went on his 72-73 Kangaroo Tour.

TruSaint

Referee
I was there to see that and many other things the Great Lord Ted did but IMO the correct terminology for him is "mercurial".

He was a great servant of the club during his time but there is no Goodwin "Dynasty" and never was and trying to invoke that about Bronx is just shit journalism.

The press have obviously forgotten the pasting and humiliating treatment they gave Lord Ted when he went on his 72-73 Kangaroo Tour.

Till this day, I hold Lord Ted as a great of the club.

Dynasty is , well, media hype to get clicks.

From my era growing up in the 70's Ted was instrumental is turning me into a Saints tragic. Many in my sphere also would date back to the 77 and 79 sides as their foundation to following Saints.

Tears of Blood, has always been my avatar. I still have the magazine cover.

Honestly, I think the last 12 years or so have left such a bad taste to Saints fans that any mention of an ex-player and or connections to him are met with justifiable scepticism. It;s a shame beacuse every case is different.