What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Gareth67

First Grade
Hey all, just venting, but with the amount of rule changes or cracking down on existing, I’d like to see the below:

Referee- only to use jumper number and captain, no names!!!

Referee to blow a penalty when players are offside. Stop telling them to get back and giving warnings. Use the side line officials for 10 metres (I wouldn’t mind going to 5 metres and reducing the interchange either)

All forwards must be in the scrum and bound. Half tells players when the ball is out, not the ref. Any early break/s from the scrum is a penalty.

When a ball is out of play. Time is stopped.

Thoughts?

Totally agree with your suggestions B&B , each of which is an answer to the games biggest problems . The fact that the ref call players by name has always annoyed me , it smacks of favoritism to one team , regardless of what they may say to the contrary .

Once again the scrums should be packed and have the hooker actually rake the ball back , none of the half feeding it straight into the 2nd row. And the refs warning players to keep onside is ridiculous ,the mugs have a whistle, blow the damn thing and penalize the culprits .

But the NRL would consider these changes as a backward step , they are after speed in all area’s of the game , still we can live in hope .

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
When a ball is out of play. Time is stopped.
There are two ways to increase fatigue: increasing the speed or increasing the duration.

I quite like the notion of stopping the clock when the ball is not in play. It would also give natural advertisement breaks for broadcasters then theoretically increasing revenue from those broadcaster rights.

Dragon David

First Grade
There are two ways to increase fatigue: increasing the speed or increasing the duration.

I quite like the notion of stopping the clock when the ball is not in play. It would also give natural advertisement breaks for broadcasters then theoretically increasing revenue from those broadcaster rights.
I am sure that the gurus of advertising would like this. Maybe during a stoppage in play, the ads could roll along the bottom of the screen just like Channel 9 does to promote some of their coming up shows.

boardlumps62

Juniors
How hard must it be to remember all the players names. That's why they don't know the rules. Save your breath to blow the whistle no need for the refs to constantly be telling players what to do.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think everyone got the memo except for the Dragons as they have been hit much harder than the others. V'Landys was on a good thing until the crackdown. It really is the only wrong thing he has done.

The speeding of the game rules he more or less introduced prior the season kick off and there were trial games played to prepare. Unfortunately not the same was done for high tackles.

With the head highs, it is the consistency that is what is hurting everyone. I feel the on field ref has been told one thing and the bunker the other. They are just not on the same page. It is like the Bunker have been told to be extra cautious and the refs to only call if they see anything serious. Mind you the on field refs seem to get it more correct. And the players taking the dive does not help either. That can also be fixed as they should not be allowed back on for at least 20 mins not within a minute or 2. as we have seen. How is that a duty of care? To be so badly hurt to not be able to get up on your feet and to then come straight up and play within a few minutes does not seem right.

At the end of the day, the team winning the comp at the moment seem to be able to get it right as they seem to be hardly effected by these changes so have easily adapted which shows it is possible and other clubs (like our beloved) saints simply cannot adjust or don't want to. But looking back now, surely it is clearly obvious the Saints have just been made the scape goats as teams are now being let off with penalties for similar offences in magic round.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
It also drives me mad. After the sharks game the other night Graham was having a good old laugh with the ref, Chris Sutton I think.
It’s not a good look.

Blacksafake, this single issue doesn't bother me as much as what it signifies - the NRL is no longer a genuine sport but an industry where all involved, players, coaches, refs, media personalities and administrators are out to serve the interests of "Our Game". (it's no longer my f---ing game!). It is an excellent meal ticket for the lot of them. The passion and club loyalty born out of tribalism has gone - SOO gets trotted out each year to provide a glimpse of what club footy used to be like. It's good that players shake hands after the game but chatting to opponents for 5 mins as soon as the game ends just shows how much the game has moved to a routine business. But it's the journos and TV guys who most upset me. Consider Mary's media support or the failure to call out Cameron Smith's onfield bullying and grubbiness. Similarly Billy Slater.

Gareth67

First Grade
Blacksafake, this single issue doesn't bother me as much as what it signifies - the NRL is no longer a genuine sport but an industry where all involved, players, coaches, refs, media personalities and administrators are out to serve the interests of "Our Game". (it's no longer my f---ing game!). It is an excellent meal ticket for the lot of them. The passion and club loyalty born out of tribalism has gone - SOO gets trotted out each year to provide a glimpse of what club footy used to be like. It's good that players shake hands after the game but chatting to opponents for 5 mins as soon as the game ends just shows how much the game has moved to a routine business. But it's the journos and TV guys who most upset me. Consider Mary's media support or the failure to call out Cameron Smith's onfield bullying and grubbiness. Similarly Billy Slater.

Well said - D.Steve . What we now have is very much a carcass off what the game once was . All ritz and glamour on the outside , but not much else underneath , it’s gradually been eaten away by the worms within and as you have said those damn tele executives .

TruSaint

Referee

Thumbs up !

TruSaint

Referee
Eels axe Ferguson, Panthers overlook Naden as Warriors make play for Hynes
781f7a16cafe800fcc64fb756b16fc18cd9baf9d

By Michael Chammas
June 1, 2021 — 3.04pm

It's also a big week for Hynes, who is weighing up interest from the Warriors, Sharks, Raiders, Broncos, Storm and Dragons. The Dragons are yet to table him a formal offer but have decided to part ways with Matt Dufty at season's end.

It's opened the door for Cody Ramsey to make the No.1 jersey his own. It's unlikely Hynes will remain at the Storm with Ryan Papenhuyzen and Cameron Munster blocking his path for a regular starting position.

Full article below

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ee...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1622525181-1

SEAT 1A

Bench
Eels axe Ferguson, Panthers overlook Naden as Warriors make play for Hynes
781f7a16cafe800fcc64fb756b16fc18cd9baf9d

By Michael Chammas
June 1, 2021 — 3.04pm

It's also a big week for Hynes, who is weighing up interest from the Warriors, Sharks, Raiders, Broncos, Storm and Dragons. The Dragons are yet to table him a formal offer but have decided to part ways with Matt Dufty at season's end.

It's opened the door for Cody Ramsey to make the No.1 jersey his own. It's unlikely Hynes will remain at the Storm with Ryan Papenhuyzen and Cameron Munster blocking his path for a regular starting position.

Full article below

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ee...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1622525181-1

Thanks Tru.

Has Michael been told by a little birdy, that Dragons are after Hynes as Hook advised not interested.

Not that it is a given as he a wanted man and in the driving seat regarding $.

Latest posts