What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
I believe the NRL is meeting today with the current 16 teams to discuss and approve the 17th franchise. If the clubs give the green light, and there's no reason for them not to, then expect an announcement tomorrow.
My money is on the Dolphins.
I think it will be the Dolphins as well. I guess with the new club coming into the NRL in 2023, that team will play each of the other 16 teams at least once. Which team(s) will be playing the new team twice, I wonder, and will the comp be over 25 rounds as it has been or will it increase?

I would have preferred that we had a comp that consisted of home and away matches for each team to play each other twice.

As it is with 17 teams, I can see every week a team will have a bye and then there will be other byes during the SOO series. So, I'm guessing there will be 2 byes each team?

possm

Coach
I don’t understand some of the hatred coming from the signing. It’s a 1 year deal, meaning Woods is doing nothing but plugging a hole in the side. I’ll ask you who else on the market you would’ve preferred us sign for next year? The market was quite thin from the get go this year and hook has done a good job to get who he has. Woods will mostly be playing reserve grade next year, however McGuire is suspended for the first four-five rounds. So, in those early rounds Woods keeps players like Kerr, Alvaro and Poasa out of first grade. That’s an improvement. We should be happy as fans with the direction the club is going after so much pain for so long. The club understands Woods won’t deliver us a trophy, but in the meantime whilst the market is slim they are looking to improve their squad where they can for next year, with a paramount focus on the future. Don’t get too impatient now, there is finally actual direction in the club and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I honestly don’t think we’ll be making the top 8 next year (obviously I can hold out hope) but I think 23 might see our return to the finals. People are too quick to judge hook. They’ve got the knives out saying “he’s got his squad next year so we’ll judge him then”. No, he doesn’t have his squad. You can’t build “your squad” after a season or even two at a club. It takes time. As long as we are seeing continuous improvement, that’s all you can ask right now after the coach inherited an utter shit show. We’re quick to forget we were tipped for the wooden spoon this year, yet we sat in the 8 for the majority of the season. Give the club some time to build, not one season. Yes we have some money to spend but let’s not use it to do a Newcastle and buy anyone and everyone. After all, where are they now? Simply a bog average team. Our club seems to have higher end goals than that, which should see us fans enjoy riding out this wave and supporting the direction of the club.
I'm happy with the Woods signing just as long as he is selected in first grade on merit. Let's hope our coaching staff can get him fit and running hard.

possm

Coach
I think it will be the Dolphins as well. I guess with the new club coming into the NRL in 2023, that team will play each of the other 16 teams at least once. Which team(s) will be playing the new team twice, I wonder, and will the comp be over 25 rounds as it has been or will it increase?

I would have preferred that we had a comp that consisted of home and away matches for each team to play each other twice.

As it is with 17 teams, I can see every week a team will have a bye and then there will be other byes during the SOO series. So, I'm guessing there will be 2 byes each team?
If the Dolphins get in they will become my second team as I live just up the road a bit.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
If the Dolphins get in they will become my second team as I live just up the road a bit.
The little I know of the Dolphins indicates that they are a powerhouse (40,000 members) and $100 million in assets-their rivalry with the Broncos will quickly become a derby that will pack out Suncorps or wherever it is played. The Dolphins will be a success- I've no doubt about that. No one would blame you if eventually the Dolphins became your No 1 team and the Dragons your second team.

kit66

Bench

I hope it's Redcliffe Dolphins, I like them a lot and they're not far from me and the same colours as the Dragons, I'll just have to get used to a white V instead of a Red V. I might try to get on the Board and suggest they poach Amone and Sloan for 2023. Woohoo !
The Norths Devils play the Sea Gulls in the Intrust Super Cup Grand Final this Sunday at 3pm (Qld time), it's on ch9 up here, should be a cracker.

Is it just me or is this the slowest site on the internet, loads so slowly ffs it's like dial up. Must be all the ads.

blacksafake

First Grade
I hope it's Redcliffe Dolphins, I like them a lot and they're not far from me and the same colours as the Dragons, I'll just have to get used to a white V instead of a Red V. I might try to get on the Board and suggest they poach Amone and Sloan for 2023. Woohoo !
The Norths Devils play the Sea Gulls in the Intrust Super Cup Grand Final this Sunday at 3pm (Qld time), it's on ch9 up here, should be a cracker.

Is it just me or is this the slowest site on the internet, loads so slowly ffs it's like dial up. Must be all the ads.
You go anywhere near Sloan or Amone there’ll be plenty on here come looking for you 😂

kit66

Bench
I just don't get the "second team" mentality.

They're all the enemy imo.

Each to their own I guess...

Mate, I have heaps of second teams -
NSW Blues
Kangaroos
Wigan Warriors RFC,
Hanshin Tigers ( Japanese baseball team based in Osaka ).
Redcliffe Dolphins
South Coast Black Cockatoos
Sydney Swans
Qld Reds ( used to be Randwick RU )
Dallas Cowboys
LCR Honda Team
Samurai Blue ( Japanese soccer team )
etc.

Dragsters

First Grade
Mate, I have heaps of second teams -
NSW Blues
Kangaroos
Wigan Warriors RFC,
Hanshin Tigers ( Japanese baseball team based in Osaka ).
Redcliffe Dolphins
South Coast Black Cockatoos
Sydney Swans
Qld Reds ( used to be Randwick RU )
Dallas Cowboys
LCR Honda Team
Samurai Blue ( Japanese soccer team )
etc.

Sure.

I was referring to the NRL...