What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
Very easy (and often funny) to be negative about Norman retiring but we will always have that field goal vs Broncos in one of his earliest games.

Unfortunately that cheekbone injury against Eels halfway through his first season turned out to be one of those a player doesn't come back from quite right. Just looked uncomfortable ever since.
That was certainly rotten luck and the guy who whacked him was Sivo, I think and the incident didn't go on report. If it was Rava hitting the opposition player's head he would have copped a hefty suspension.

blacksafake

First Grade
Very easy (and often funny) to be negative about Norman retiring but we will always have that field goal vs Broncos in one of his earliest games.

Unfortunately that cheekbone injury against Eels halfway through his first season turned out to be one of those a player doesn't come back from quite right. Just looked uncomfortable ever since.
Agree.
People will bag him & they’re entitled to their opinion but you don’t play over 200 games in the nrl if you’re not talented. Inconsistent & casual, yes but not without talent.

Ascalon

Juniors

Yep it was a Sivo special. Jumped in the air, head on the wrong side, eyes closed tackle. I think he broke someone else’s eye socket a few weeks later with another Sivo special. A more prominent player from memory and was suspended.

The Word

Juniors

Not sure about that. Corey looked pretty disinterested for most of his time at the Dragons, and I remember when we signed him some of the Parra fans were saying the same thing about him. We were under pressure to sign a quality half and so they opened the cheque book, and Corey got a lucky break with the salary and length of contract.

No doubt he was a naturally gifted footballer. And no doubt he was a scapegoat for our weak forward pack over the last few years. A lot of the vitriol directed at him was unfair.

However I'm pissed off that someone being paid that much money, didn't show more intensity for the club. Ultimately the fans paid his wages and I don't think he repaid them with effort.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree.
People will bag him & they’re entitled to their opinion but you don’t play over 200 games in the nrl if you’re not talented. Inconsistent & casual, yes but not without talent.

Your right , it’s ever so easy to bag a player whom is underperforming , however I believe that most of us expected more from him for the huge sum that was outlayed for him .

I recall a match against the Eels at Parramatta Stadium where their backs absolutely massacred our boys . With Moses at half , Norman at 5/8th and Michael Jennings in the centers they cut the Dragons to pieces .

It was all Corey Norman that day , with a neat little step and feeding good ball to his outside men . Of course Moses began to find his feet the same year and we know the story from there .

But it was probably that particular game that gave our great maestro Mary the idea of signing the man . Still as you have said the NRL is not for the faint hearted and he played in it for many a year .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No doubt that Corey Norman had some talent, he could had been anything he wanted to be. The problem was that he couldn't step up to that level with any consistency. He was often guilty of trying too hard and ended up all at sea. Reading between the lines of that article, I think he knew it as well.

Ted Goodwin suffered from similar confidence issues but he had a better coach to get the best out of him.

Latest posts