What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

thebigredv

First Grade
Gotta stick with them bigredv. Like you, we have been putting up with this "pretenders" club and have been waiting for consistently better results for so many years and the commentary on this Forum has been like a never ending tape with so much outpouring of despair. These past 10 years have been hard for us in as far as the Dragons are concerned.

We lost the best opportunity to change things for the better when we had a guy by the name of Paul Smith, lover of sport and the Dragons and owner of the Sydney Kings and Total Sports and Entertainment, wanting part ownership of the joint venture. He put in a $12M bid to buy into our club but was snubbed by the club and he claimed he could have turned us into the “New York Yankees of Australian sport.

We know who we got instead and we have continued to flounder while Paul Smith's Sydney Kings wins the 2022 NBL Premiership.

Now that I have written this post, I feel broken as a fan of this once mighty club as well as you bigredv and I think guys like Paul Smith have lost interest in us as well.

Brilliantly put.

If I weren't a tragic I would have fallen silent many years ago. I find myself with little to say right now.

As you say, contrary to what some believe, we've had chances over the last decade to change our fortunes. The board have not got it done for reasons well documented on this forum.

I see Sloan has been punted again. What has been achieved in the last decade but a discredit to our name and one heck of a diabolical culture and footy team.

justadragon

Bench
But would the members had've been able to vote or make their recommendations. Some posts previously on the Forum suggest that we wouldn't have had the chance anyway. I am not too sure of this though.
Agree, Im a bit confused as to what the members were entitled to, we are talking about fraud and embezzlement here and I'm not sure even Doust could get away with that.

BBTB

Juniors
Agree, Im a bit confused as to what the members were entitled to, we are talking about fraud and embezzlement here and I'm not sure even Doust could get away with that.
Surely we have some legal people in our club. Come on
now, let's get the ball rolling.
Can someone with the appropriate credentials please contact the STGI FORUM. Let us get together and rid ourselves of these
Parasites that are ruining our
Club.

Dragon David

First Grade
Another coach happy with the comforts of being part of a well run organisation. His days as a coach will continue and end with the Roosters. He won't leave the Roosters. Same as Bellamy at the Storm.
The Storm’s chances of re-signing Cameron Munster have been given a boost after reports Craig Bellamy will coach Melbourne into 2023 at least after inking a new deal.
The Daily Telegraph reported Bellamy has agreed to a contract extension to coach the team next season.
Bellamy is signed to the Storm for the next five years through until 2027, but was no certainty to coach the side beyond 2022.
However Bellamy will delay moving into an off-field role with the club to chase premiership glory in 2023.
That gives him another season to work with Munster, who is off-contract at the end of 2023 and is being chased hard by the Dolphins, Bulldogs and Broncos among other NRL clubs.

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy and Cameron Munster are close.
Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy and Cameron Munster are close.Source: AAP

Bellamy has a very close relationship with Munster which could sway him to re-sign with the club on a long-term deal, even if Bellamy pulls stumps on his head coaching career at the end of 2023 as expected.
However, under the new deal Bellamy has until next March to tell the Storm if he is willing to coach on into 2024, which could heavily influence Munster’s decision.

Munster’s manager Braith Anasta has said his client’s decision will be infleunced heavily by Bellamy’s plans, with money not his number one priority.
“He (Munster) loves playing for Bellyache and it’s a really important part of his decision,” said Munster’s agent Braith Anasta. “It’s not all about money.”

Just a clipping from Foxsports news to confirm my earlier post about Bellamy having no chance coming to the Dragons.

Harry Bath

Juniors
Surely we have some legal people in our club. Come on
now, let's get the ball rolling.
Can someone with the appropriate credentials please contact the STGI FORUM. Let us get together and rid ourselves of these
Parasites that are ruining our
Club.
Surely a member of St George Leagues club can obtain a copy of the Clubs constitution that should describe what needs to be approved by Members and what Board are delegated to do.
The added complexity here is that the Football club is run as a JV so I am not sure whether members of the respective clubs have any say, assuming that Illawarra members now have no say due to the Win acquisition of that clubs 50% share.
This all really smells bad !

Gareth67

First Grade
Surely a member of St George Leagues club can obtain a copy of the Clubs constitution that should describe what needs to be approved by Members and what Board are delegated to do.
The added complexity here is that the Football club is run as a JV so I am not sure whether members of the respective clubs have any say, assuming that Illawarra members now have no say due to the Win acquisition of that clubs 50% share.

We are merely a bad advertisement for WIN , for as we all now realize we were bought by Uncle Bruce as a tax- write off , or perhaps merely as a plaything for junior who has as much knowledge of the game as I have hair on my head . 😶

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Can this be verified because I doubt very much that coaches like robinson and bellamy are on what hook is getting, and if we continue to have low budget coaches we end up with a low budget performance as we are seeing. Surely we must have the capacity to lure top line coaches with whatever the other clubs are offering if there is a cap in the admin dept, or is that being swallowed up by the pigs at the trough as well.

"Head coach and assistant coach salaries are included, as are training camps. Operational costs will also come out of the cap but not capital costs of centre of excellence."

Dragon David

First Grade
If this situation is not able to come to a dead stop and we aimlessly meander along as we are, what is the use of following the Dragons. It doesn't make sense. Poor Administration, poor communications, poor and cheap coaching, poor recruitment, poor attitudes. I just don't get it and we continue to write the same things on the Forum and a lot of it is negative to say the least because there just are not any positives coming from the club. Deathly silence about future planning.

The results so far this year reflect on how the club is going not only for this year but for the years ahead. Pull your fingers out Board members and bloody do something about getting this club worthy of being called the Mighty Dragons. We deserve much better.

Dragon David

First Grade

"Head coach and assistant coach salaries are included, as are training camps. Operational costs will also come out of the cap but not capital costs of centre of excellence."
Thanks Ayios for this information. So if we do the maths on the 4% increase for staff CPI salary rises, I think that the allocation for NRL Football Department Salary Cap is around $5.9M, say $6M now. This would mean that we wouldn't be able to get Bellamy as our coach as far as offering really big money for him to come here unless there are TPA's just like some players get.

Boy, if Hook is getting $300,000 per year and his assistants only say $100,000 each and the other staff on pittance, we should have lots left over for a big Christmas party and plenty of Crownies.

possm

Coach
We are merely a bad advertisement for WIN for as we all now realize we were bought by Uncle Bruce as a tax- write of , or perhaps merely as a plaything for junior who has as much knowledge of the game as I have hair on my head . 😶
Illawarra owed the Gordons 6m. They bought half ownership by largely forgiving Illawarra of that dept.

justadragon

Bench

thanks for that, that has cleared everything up, so its my understanding now that we should be competitive for a top line coach just like the elite clubs because we are on an even field. so we cant attract anyone decent even though we have the capacity to offer the same sort of money , but because we are a basket case of a club no one wants to come to the dragons. a wonderful position to be in

BLM01

First Grade
Blm01, would barreett be "good" in junior development for us ? seems to get on with players could be beneficial down the track
Dont know. Dont think so. Good players dont automatically make good junior development people.
Barrett seems likes he flourishes as an assistant but Yes he is good bloke and probably gets on well with players...but
Dealing with sub 18 age players is totally different beast than seniors
Dont know enough about our development group but the proof will be there in time but I am not sure Shaun Timmo is the right person for us either
Is Kyle Stanley the right person?, some certainly think so.

BLM01

First Grade
Yep agree totally BLM01, my understanding is that the clause is in the contract which both parties are able to negotiate, if both parties agree then there is no stopping them, bit like when Bennett went from club to club Boyd had to go as well. But yes its not a good look anytime.
You know what I just actually feel for any team supporters and the game itself. Its a basket case in so many ways but brings in the money.
Yes the current times dictate its just a business, it is about legal protection, PC stuff and the people that pay for the product on the box. It will never return to what we seek so just got to go and live with it.

justadragon

Bench
You know what I just actually feel for any team supporters and the game itself. Its a basket case in so many ways but brings in the money.
Yes the current times dictate its just a business, it is about legal protection, PC stuff and the people that pay for the product on the box. It will never return to what we seek so just got to go and live with it.
yep totally agree, the love of the game is gone and now its a product, and the nrl will always bow to the people who pay for the product, and we will cop it sweet

jak

Bench
your spot on mate,the game is not a game anymore.

Latest posts