What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The simple truth here is that we have no idea what $$ a player is on, yes we can guess, believe what is written in the, not so accurate and exaggerated, press or even whispers here and there.
A lor ot contracts these days are upscaled ie start at a lower price and end at a higher price with the average the 'reported' figure ie: a player signs a 4yr deal reportedly at 700k per year, but that figure could easily be divided into 2yrs at 600k and 2yrs at 800k ave 700k. Therefore we think a plsyer is on 700k but in realiry they're on 800k. Upscaling is very common, anf it's why you dont here of many 'upgrades' these days. It also may answer why Hunt was so keen to take up his 2yr option.
We have quite a few players coming off contract in 23' and a few on extended contracts, and may ecplain our salary cap position and why Webb stated we are waiting for the NRL to advuse of salary cap figure.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Watched 9 at halftime and there was a comment by a journo ?Chammas? that seemed to indicate that McCullogh has been tapped on the shoulder for next year.
Any one else think that was what he was saying?

mattchuot

Juniors
Watched 9 at halftime and there was a comment by a journo ?Chammas? that seemed to indicate that McCullogh has been tapped on the shoulder for next year.
Chammas just published an article about that. Apparently Macca and the club are in discussions about the possibility of him retiring at end of this year despite having another year to run. Also in the article is the Titans have got Verrills so it looks like Liddle is our only option now.

BLM01

First Grade
Funny thing about Ch9. they drag up old news for a story to make it breaking just to have him on TV.
They come up with rubbish and guess what, none of the news is breaking
It was reported over a week ago that they are looking for a hooker and dont see Mc as the future going forward (new coach speaking)
They mentioned we are chasing Verrills but Titans closing in on him... both reported a week or so ago

possm

Coach
Hunt is not our future halfback. In my opinion, he should be signed only as a hooker at this point in his career. Hunt takes up a good chunk of our cap but could be a good 9 while at the same time being good support on the field for Sullivan. If Hunt does not want to do this, then let him go as soon as possible.

We seem to make wrong decisions regarding the head coach all the time. The time to move Griffin our is NOW! The new coach should have the until the end of this season to sort out his squad and then prepare the players he wants to keep for next season. There is nothing to be gained by keeping Griffin on any longer.

I say sign either Flannigan or Maquire as the head coach and then sort out the assistant coach and fitness team problems. If it is to be Flanno, let Hunt go and sign Kyle Flannigan, allowing he and Sullivan to fight it out for the halfback spot.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Funny thing about Ch9. they drag up old news for a story to make it breaking just to have him on TV.
They come up with rubbish and guess what, none of the news is breaking
It was reported over a week ago that they are looking for a hooker and dont see Mc as the future going forward (new coach speaking)
They mentioned we are chasing Verrills but Titans closing in on him... both reported a week or so ago
Talk that Mac is being shopped to Super League
Would be more than useful over there

dragon thomo

Juniors
I agree Possm.
Hunt needs to make a discission if he is staying right now irrespective of what position we need him to play. If he has doubts or needs time to think if he wants to stay cut him loose.
I am sick of players bullshitting us around.

denis preston

First Grade
Regarding our youth brigade, if Sloan, Sullivan and Mulheison are so good, why is our KOE attack just as bad as first grade.

With that spine and to the likes of Ford, Gosiewski, Kerr etc in the pack, how are we -100 in F&A? Something is not adding up. That should be a dominant team.
spot on . If the club has an obligation to pathways it needs to fix the coaching shit.

qld redvee

Juniors
heard it on triple m either yesterday or today .. apparantly saints wont stand in his way if he can secure a better deal ( obviously hoping a super league club comes knocking for 2 years)

justadragon

Bench
Chammas just published an article about that. Apparently Macca and the club are in discussions about the possibility of him retiring at end of this year despite having another year to run. Also in the article is the Titans have got Verrills so it looks like Liddle is our only option now.
we should be blooding Muhleisen now for the rest of the season, whats the use of keeping Macca there, should be Mbye and the kid, but our risk taker coach knows there is a mathematical chance of making the finals,

justadragon

Bench
spot on . If the club has an obligation to pathways it needs to fix the coaching shit.
both lower grade teams got hammered on the weekend and if you watched the highlights of KOE against the jets you would see why we are -100 and more, it shows clearly the standard there is way below par and it also explains why Sloan hasnt made any progress there either, I reserve the right to say it could also have something to do with his attitude but even still KOE and JF need a lot of work, its no wonder none of the first graders dont feel any pressure from below, its just not there anyway.

Dragon David

First Grade
both lower grade teams got hammered on the weekend and if you watched the highlights of KOE against the jets you would see why we are -100 and more, it shows clearly the standard there is way below par and it also explains why Sloan hasnt made any progress there either, I reserve the right to say it could also have something to do with his attitude but even still KOE and JF need a lot of work, its no wonder none of the first graders dont feel any pressure from below, its just not there anyway.
I find it hard now to add any more about this club as we all have had a say on how bad things have been.

For the life of me I just don't know what is around the corner for us. Each year we have hope and it invariably turns to a big fat zero at the end.

We are not expecting much else to happen with signings and the rumours thread isn't buzzing as we would like it to for us to get excited. We hear that Macca might be leaving us and we are after a hooker but that's about it so far.

The lower grades are not excelling as we had hoped as well so to me it appears that there is a lack of commitment from the coaches down to the players and/or they are all incompetent and just plain not good enough. No pressure is being applied to our first grade squad, so they also lack commitment.

Player enthusiasm seems to have disappeared. I have lost my enthusiasm for the game.

justadragon

Bench
100%, it used to be a pleasure watching reserve grade and under 21's , you could see they were all trying to achieve, but I just couldnt believe the standard had dropped to where it is, I just thought well because of covid there might be a problem, but really it hasnt improved any over the season. I dont know if its a club or coach issue or even player issue, but the highlights from the jets game, where we had players who have quite a deal of 1st grade experience looking very very ordinary. Our NRL players are plodding along because there is no one to take their place.

justadragon

Bench
I remember last year end of season could not make the finals Sully played 4 games or so at 9 and did a great job .....
well now is the time to get them all in, and I'm afraid its sink or swim time, why is it that we see all these other juniors come in , even on Saturday (Dykes) and he made a few mistakes but generally he looked good, why are ours so different, and they seem to struggle, they have defensive issues and attack issues and cant catch issues. What is happening at training FFS, shouldnt it be the same across the board in all grades , so when one comes in they know basically what to do and what is expected of them. Then again they may have to contend with a conservative coach or plan, it all looks like an out of whack structure. Yes hook calls it CLUNKY. I know that there is way more to it than what Im seeing, but spare me, I've seen it now for 10-12 years across 3 different coaches and numerous players. WTF is happening at the Dragons football dept.