What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Draginzaaar

Bench
NAS has gone backwards this year, minimal impact except just a giant and has presence. Has Olam gone for them. Storm only let players go because they dont cut it there or come up to expectations.
The only few decent players in recent memory they let go being Kimmorley, Orford, Widdop, Harris, Tino & Drinkwater, not very many. Likely missed a couple but many have been average at best or not cut it elsewhere
Dont count Inglis as was salary cap cheating surplus (one of the superstars had to go) or Cronk who was on retirement
Cronk on retirement? He won 2 premierships at the Roosters before retiring.

Looks like Flanno is only targeting specific players
... and what specific players are they? He targets and misses, one after the other. If those guys you mentioned are no better than what we already have then time to fast track some of our promising juniors Loko Jr, Corey Ackers, Jesse Williams, Finau Latu, Hamish Stewart, Nick Tsougranis, Ashton Ward. Sione Finau must start on the wing first game next season.

Gareth67

First Grade
Player managers are a blight on the game , how often do these low breeds get into a player’s head and suggest that they would be better at another club - with more money of course .

More for the player and the agent , thus the musical chair syndrome begins yet again . The NRL should outlaw the sods once and for all , all contracts should be between a player ( and his solicitor if he so chooses ) and the club itself - full stop .

BLM01

First Grade
I don't think he's the sole reason for their bad year. Could also be they just got lucky with a few players in peak form last year, same way Dragons had a good 2018 then fell off a cliff. Nth QLD had a good season a few years back and struggled since then.
Having said all of that I think AFB isn't going to be a good fit for any club's culture in the long term and I think their coach handled what happened a month or so ago the right way.
My point is Webster may not be the messiah he is made out to be after 1 very good year
He deserved every bit of positive press or award after last year
But like many media and supporters people are not patient enough to judge something over time players coaches etc are judged too quickly and player managers and media run with it.. positive or negative
No different to judging Flanno after 14 games but even that he has had history as a coach to judge what he can do

Juniors
Player managers are a blight on the game , how often do these low breeds get into a player’s head and suggest that they would be better at another club - with more money of course .

More for the player and the agent , thus the musical chair syndrome begins yet again . The NRL should outlaw the sods once and for all , all contracts should be between a player ( and his solicitor if he so chooses ) and the club itself - full stop .
The managers are getting into players heads to get more money? or at a better club with a better deal? The scoundrels how dare they. So your answer is get rid of them and leave some poor kid with no negotiating skills, no contract experience to fend for themselves?

Dragons4me

Juniors

** deleted **

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
The managers are getting into players heads to get more money? or at a better club with a better deal? The scoundrels how dare they. So your answer is get rid of them and leave some poor kid with no negotiating skills, no contract experience to fend for themselves?
Hence the reason why I suggested a solicitor to go through the ‘ nitty - gritty ‘ of the contract with them , to ensure that the player was not being short-changed by the club .

It worked quite well for the players decades ago , they realized that when they signed a contract , they played for the club for the duration of the contract .

Relatively straight forward when you think about . 😳

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dragons have no chance as soon as 1 of these 2 teams (Panthers/ Roosters) enter the race? Actually what am I thinking, they have no chance if any of the 16 other teams enter the race.

Saints should offer 2mil a season as he will knock it back anyway but it may drive up the price for the others to at least get him 1 million...lol

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
I have no objection to managers protecting the player etc, but when you have managers that can manipulate a club in total , especially the lesser clubs, then i have an issue with them.