What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Old Timer

Coach
M
You've said this so many times but have never once actually told us what L plate Ryles was going to do better than what Flanagan has done with the roster he inherited.
Can you help me out by telling me how he would have recruited better, coached better or got better results in the first year of a rebuild if he had been given the job instead of Flanno?
Well you obviously can’t read nor comprehend very well.

If Ryles had been appointed

1. The BOD grip / influence over the coach would have finally been broken. It remains firmly in place with S F and it is a millstone round our neck.
2. No Dean Young stinking up the place.
3. No shit signings like Nu Brown, K F, J M and the bung winged Warrior.
4. An untarnished coach with no links to nefarious sports medicine Dr’s and illegal substances. I firmly believe that is somewhat a deterrence for some established players and parents of emerging player's.
5. The modern and fresh approach to the game that is integral at clubs that he has served his apprenticeship at but completely foreign to us and S F who is well and truly stuck in the Ricky Stuart / Mc Fookknuckle just play tough time warp.
6. Re recruitment he brings in it is hard to know the answer to that but I believe he is at least on good terms with players and managers from 2 of the very best performed clubs and systems in the comp and I see more potential in that than anything that S F did when previously here in a recruiting / roster management role or at Manly as an assistant or since he was appointed as our head coach.

Here we are applauding re signing J D B, Feagai and pushing hard for Hunt meanwhile the Roosters cut Tupouniua.

blacksafake

First Grade
M

1. The BOD grip / influence over the coach would have finally been broken. It remains firmly in place with S F and it is a millstone round our neck.
4. An untarnished coach with no links to nefarious sports medicine Dr’s and illegal substances. I firmly believe that is somewhat a deterrence for some established players and parents of emerging player's.
5. The modern and fresh approach to the game that is integral at clubs that he has served his apprenticeship at but completely foreign to us and S F who is well and truly stuck in the Ricky Stuart / Mc Fookknuckle just play tough time warp.
6. Re recruitment he brings in it is hard to know the answer to that but I believe he is at least on good terms with players and managers from 2 of the very best performed clubs and systems in the comp and I see more potential in that than anything that S F did when previously here in a recruiting / roster management role or at Manly as an assistant or since he was appointed as our head coach.

Here we are applauding re signing J D B, Feagai and pushing hard for Hunt meanwhile the Roosters cut Tupouniua.
Is number 2 a definite or was that part of his reason for knocking us back?

M

'And they all lived happily ever after'

With crystal balls like yours O.T. be very careful when you sit!

barry

Bench
M

I stopped reading after point 1.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
He is the most dangerous half in the comp imo. Pace, a great pass, can kick well and plays eyes up footy and takes opportunities when he sees them..
He is for sure.
Jerome ranks below Hunt for try assists.

what I am trying to say is that if we replace Hunt with Jerome yesterday realistically we would have seen a marginal improvement in performance.

there is no way Jerome could have fixed our lack of intent and piss week line speed. He would not change our non commitment to hunt down the opposition when we were defending like they did to us.

if we did a complete swap with the rising star Walker with Hunt yesterday …..the Roosters still would have killed us.

we were massively behind the rotation of JWH, Collins, Spencer and May. These 4 stripped us alive.

those 4 with their trusty aggressive edge forwards hunted us down, scraped our intestines out of our rib cage and ate it raw.

everything happened to us because of our lack of ability to stand and strike in the centre of the ring. We got hunted and killed. Then their two halves played a little.

we need a web of changes still not just a mono solution.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
He is for sure.

what I am trying to say is that if we replace Hunt with Jerome yesterday realistically we would have seen a marginal improvement in performance.

there is no way Jerome could have fixed our lack of intent and piss week line speed. He would not change our non commitment to hunt down the opposition when we were defending like they did to us.

we were massively behind the rotation of JWH, Collins, Spencer and May.

those 4 with their trusty aggressive edge forwards hunter us down, scraped our intestines out of our rib cage and ate it raw.

everything happened to us because of our lack of ability to stand and strike in the centre of the ring. We gut hunted and killed. Then their two halves played a little.

Jerome is so far ahead of Hunt it aint funny.

He is a clutch player. A leader. Tell me one game on the line where Hunt stood up ?
Club game and not SOO.

Ben Hunt is not the problem, but he also isn't the solution.

Old Timer

Coach
'And they all lived happily ever after'

With crystal balls like yours O.T. be very careful when you sit!
Never said that that it would all be smooth sailing nor an easy road but I did say a very different road.

But having read Cameron Smith's take on it I guess the Ryles haters think Smith doesn’t know much either.

barry

Bench
Never said that that it would all be smooth sailing nor an easy road but I did say a very different road.

But having read Cameron Smith's take on it I guess the Ryles haters think Smith doesn’t know much either.
Wow OT you really shot yourself in the foot with this one.

Do you really want to go down the path of ‘legends who know’ take on potential head coaches?

Give us some takes from Wayne Bennett… the greatest of all time… what does he think of your mate Dean Young ?? 🤣🤣

justadragon

Bench
He is for sure.

if we did a complete swap with the rising star Walker with Hunt yesterday …..the Roosters still would have killed us.

we were massively behind the rotation of JWH, Collins, Spencer and May. These 4 stripped us alive.

those 4 with their trusty aggressive edge forwards hunted us down, scraped our intestines out of our rib cage and ate it raw.

everything happened to us because of our lack of ability to stand and strike in the centre of the ring. We got hunted and killed. Then their two halves played a little.

Beg to differ slightly there Auntie, if we had Walker our kicking would have been a 100 times better than what it was and we would have nailed the chances we had in the 1st half to score and apply pressure to the Roosters. I also didn't see Walker throw a falcon into one of his players heads for the other team to pick it up and score. I also dare say Hunt was genuinely responsible for not rallying or managing our troops just after we got to 14-12, nor did he have anything to match the opposition rookie half that schooled him again on half his pay packet.

Yes, it is a very different road. Interesting too!

How did we get to Cameron Smith? Wayne Bennet knows a lot but has never correctly anointed the next big coach, ooh that’s right The Ryles Haters

I don’t believe anyone ‘hates Ryles’

I certainly don’t ‘hate’ Ryles. He an excellent proposition but you only get one chance. Parramatta has a much better roster giving Ryles a much better chance at success.

Guess we’ll now know how good Ryles is soon enough

BLM01

First Grade
M

Most of that is rubbish OT. You raise some good points but it is not on Flanno

Old Timer

Coach
Wow OT you really shot yourself in the foot with this one.

Do you really want to go down the path of ‘legends who know’ take on potential head coaches?

Give us some takes from Wayne Bennett… the greatest of all time… what does he think of your mate Dean Young ?? 🤣🤣
We aren’t talking about a coach who scorches the earth after he’s ploughed the field.

We are talking about the world’s best player and captain in over 20 years who has no barrow to push or heritage to protect re coaching.