What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Jubilee

Juniors
Are you saying the PNG team will be based in Cairns for all their home games?
If so does that mean the team is based there for the year including training?
More seriously. Cairns was at one time the proposed base, but Vlandys says it will be Port Moresby. And while you may think the Gong is no recruitment magnet, Port Morseby...

But no worries, they are going to build a "compound" for players and their families to live in.

That isn't ominous at all.

Jubilee

Juniors
I am still trying to nut all of this out. Let me see if I have this straight.

1. We are putting $600m into an NRL team in PNG to stop the Chinese.
2. The Chinese are a leading industrial power off the back of cheap hydrocarbons (coal) from (among others) Australia
3. We have closed our own cheap coal-fired power generation bcs of global warming but this just makes more coal available more cheaply to China who are building massive coal generation capacity
4. So to block the geopolitical aspirations of the China to whom we sell our coal so that we can earn the $600m we are spending to oppose China we are launching an NRL team that will have a massive carbon footprint just as we get into hyperdrive towards Net Zero, which is a recently legislated principle of the country's forward energy policy designed by the same people who are opposing China with a new NRL team.

Is this correct?

I am going to my room. Where did I put my straight jacket?

jak

Bench
I am still trying to nut all of this out. Let me see if I have this straight.

1. We are putting $600m into an NRL team in PNG to stop the Chinese.
2. The Chinese are a leading industrial power off the back of cheap hydrocarbons (coal) from (among others) Australia
3. We have closed our own cheap coal-fired power generation bcs of global warming but this just makes more coal available more cheaply to China who are building massive coal generation capacity
4. So to block the geopolitical aspirations of the China to whom we sell our coal so that we can earn the $600m we are spending to oppose China we are launching an NRL team that will have a massive carbon footprint just as we get into hyperdrive towards Net Zero, which is a recently legislated principle of the country's forward energy policy designed by the same people who are opposing China with a new NRL team.

Is this correct?

I am going to my room. Where did I put my straight jacket?
sport and politics, who would have guessed

Trifili13

Juniors
Yep, because 60m a year for 10 years to have your own NRL team is going to keep China away if they come in and say to PNG, we are going to build you new roads, schools and hospitals - PNG will say no, we have an NRL club and don't need what you are offering us.

The funny thing would be if a Chinese company ends up building the players village or a new stadium.

justadragon

Bench
Memo to PVL - a team in PNG will be a disaster and devalue the game.
Alternative - get 300M from Canberra and fund every team playing a home game in the Pacific every 3 years. That's 6 games a year - maybe 2 in PNG, 2 in Fiji, 1 in Samoa & 1 in Tonga each year.
Sounds good but it wont meet our political needs.

Dragon David

First Grade
I can see a BIG disaster coming to hit the NRL. Sport and politics do not go well together.

My feelings are that the PNG set up will cost a fortune and there will be massive problems for the Administration to handle the day to day matters. Will it be worth it?

How much will it cost to build a stadium that meets the requirements for health, safety, amenity, Rugby League standards there. If not in Port Moresby, then they plan for the facilities to be in Darwin?

Why would you have a PNG team and set them up in Darwin? The local people from PNG cannot afford to travel every time there is a game there - it would be ludicrous. The Darwin Kumuls is what they will be called.

How is it that the Perth Bears fell through because they did not include funds for a licence? Does PNG have a licence or don't they need one? Having the Perth Bears would be so much more straight forward than setting up PNG just because it suits the politics - I cannot understand it.

I mean, we want Jubilee to be upgraded but won't get it while Penrith, basking in all of its glorious victories, is getting a new stadium as their existing one doesn't meet all the right standards.

I say look after what we have. Good luck with the 20 team comp NRL/ARL. You are going to need it.

Old Timer

Coach
More seriously. Cairns was at one time the proposed base, but Vlandys says it will be Port Moresby. And while you may think the Gong is no recruitment magnet, Port Morseby...

But no worries, they are going to build a "compound" for players and their families to live in.

That isn't ominous at all.

I recently posted that the PNG franchise will attract all the dick heads offloaded by other clubs and its behaviour on and off the field will be seriously problematic and that’s before you even think about their supporters.

since77

Juniors
I recently posted that the PNG franchise will attract all the dick heads offloaded by other clubs and its behaviour on and off the field will be seriously problematic and that’s before you even think about their supporters.
PNG is a nice idea but fraught with really big problems no matter how you look at it. Totally impractical in my opinion.
Besides that, the whole expansion idea is a totally unnecessary and dangerous sh*t show waiting to happen. Let's watch while the player pool gets further diluted, the marquee players and player managers line up their contracts to match expansion years and we can look forward to the same 3 or 4 clubs competing for the title every year after they rape the bottom clubs for their talent. Meanwhile the same 3 or 4 struggling clubs will fight for the wooden spoon each year. Every five years or so an outlier might jag a premiership. Then the NRL will come out as usual and say the game has never been better......

Dragon David

First Grade
PNG is a nice idea but fraught with really big problems no matter how you look at it. Totally impractical in my opinion.
Besides that, the whole expansion idea is a totally unnecessary and dangerous sh*t show waiting to happen. Let's watch while the player pool gets further diluted, the marquee players and player managers line up their contracts to match expansion years and we can look forward to the same 3 or 4 clubs competing for the title every year after they rape the bottom clubs for their talent. Meanwhile the same 3 or 4 struggling clubs will fight for the wooden spoon each year. Every five years or so an outlier might jag a premiership. Then the NRL will come out as usual and say the game has never been better......
The Dragons have been struggling to be top 8 material over the years since that golden Bennett era and making the 8 just once since 2011. They struggle to snap up players at a whim and most attempts to sign anyone decent seem to inevitably fall flat. Wait until the 18th, 19th and 20th teams come rolling into the NRL, our young nursery of players will be given offers too good to refuse, our signing of players will become even harder to achieve.

I hope that the Club is putting into place a workable plan for the future to ensure that we can maintain and remain a viable club.

Sorry to be so negative again.

I can though say come on NRL/ARL bring on all these extra franchises, the Dragons will kill it when they come in. The Dragons will be top 4 material for ever and a day.

justadragon

Bench
The Dragons have been struggling to be top 8 material over the years since that golden Bennett era and making the 8 just once since 2011. They struggle to snap up players at a whim and most attempts to sign anyone decent seem to inevitably fall flat. Wait until the 18th, 19th and 20th teams come rolling into the NRL, our young nursery of players will be given offers too good to refuse, our signing of players will become even harder to achieve.

I hope that the Club is putting into place a workable plan for the future to ensure that we can maintain and remain a viable club.

Sorry to be so negative again.

I can though say come on NRL/ARL bring on all these extra franchises, the Dragons will kill it when they come in. The Dragons will be top 4 material for ever and a day.
Sounds like you are saying Dave that a draft needs to be introduced before its too late, let alone a trade period.