What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Shiek of Tweek Returns

Doctor

Bench
Twizzle said:
Like to see Simmo in the team, at the expense of Marto, who does not play spin very well, due to his lack of footwork.

And what might you base this on?
Martyn's only tour to the sub-continent yielded many productive returns against quality spin bowlers. I don't see a century, a 60 and a 60* as "not playing spin very well".

Anonymous

Juniors
Twizzle said:
The team is picked on Friday.

Warnie has 2 days to impress the selectors on current form.

The team may be picked on friday, I'm not sure, but Warne has the rest of this match, a ING cup game and a Sheild game to prove his form according to the Newcastle Herald today.

Rustay

Juniors
He will be picked. He has to be and its as simple as that. He is the king and it wont take long for him to back to somewhere near his best. Our spin options are rather limited really.

fish eel

Immortal
I'd be tempted to pick Cameron White, though nobody here as mentioned him. Bat him at 7, with Gilly at 6....then Warne 8, Lee 9, Gillespie 10 and then Kasprowicz. Plenty of flexibility in the attack then, plus the option of tossing Katich the ball will give us plenty of ways to get what will be 20 hard to obtain wickets to win the tests.

The Colonel

Immortal
As White tends to use bounce rather than spin to collect his wickets at this stage of his career it would be a ploy destined to fail. The idea is right however the lack of quality spinners makes it a hard one to make. Hauritz, Doherty, Casson and White may have a future ahead of them but right now they need to work on developing their bag of tricks

fish eel

Immortal
White can spin the ball (obviously not as much as macgill or warne), and if is going to, he will on the sub continent. Also, remember Kumble has made a career out of using bounce rather than spin (granted, he is a different bowler to White). I dont think he'd do any worse over there than MacGill, and I'd certainly stay clear of Brad Hogg for the tests. I'd atleast like white to go on tour.

The advantage White has is his allround ability. Great in the field and a decent bat.

Ideally, you'd be able to play Nathan Hauritz, but he doesnt seem to have progressed as much.

The Colonel

Immortal
Outside of McGill and Warne the quality of spinners are poor. McGill is decent however still behind Warne. White will be a good option in a few years. If the side was being picked on potential I'd have to say take Xavier Doherty over White only because he is a little further along as a spinner. If White were considered for his all round ability Symonds would definitely go ahead of him.

fish eel

Immortal
I saw Doherty bowl against NSW just prior to Christmas. My memory is he went for around 150 while picking up some a few cheap wickets. Would have thought White was at least a season in front of him?

White's bowling would also be better than Symonds surely? And 7 isnt the place to put a batting allrounder, which is why I'd go for White.

It's all academic anyway, because the selectors wont do it. I just think its a gamble worth trying. I think White should be a shoe in though for the one day side next summer.

Anonymous

Juniors
No one is saying that White will fail on the international scene, just the to take him to Sri Lanka, as his first international experience would be more than risky.

Sure enough Kumble has made a career out of using bounce and flight rather than spin, but he has taken 15 years to do so.

You can't throw a 22 year old in there and expect his confidence not to take a battering.

I don't think there will be or should be any changes made (Spinners I'm talking) for the next 2 tours. Take Warne, MacGill as well as Katich, Clarke, Lehmann and possibly Symonds and you are more than covered in that department for the next 2 tours (Sri Lanka and India)

And by the way, any news on Warnes return to the bowling crease? Or is it raining?

The Colonel

Immortal
We bat Gilchrist at seven and he is definitely a batting all rounder and we also have batted Bevan there and lower as well. Healy could have well batted as high as five. I don't see the difference in batting Symonds at 7 if he is picked with his bowling in mind as well.

Doherty and White are a long way off selection for Australia as spin bowlers only. They maybe selected as bowling all rounders in the near future for the ODI side but in the longer form of the game they still have much to learn.

fish eel

Immortal
I understand what you guys are saying.....I just think maybe you are underestimating White a little bit. 16 @ 39 for the pura cup doesnt sound great, but macgill has 20 @ 40 (i think), and I think the quality and type of pitches that the pura cup has been played on for the last year or two make it difficult to draw a line through exactly how good the youbg spinners are.

The other interesting up and comer is casson, particuarly as he is from wa.

Anonymous

Juniors
Stats don't lie, and 16 @ 39 shows that he still has alot to learn. And a maiden test tour to Sri Lanka isn't really the place to learn his trade.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Whites technique is different from that of Warne and McGill.

He does not flight the ball, he's more of an Anal Kumble.

I don't think he will be our great white hope (pardon the pun) for the future.

But if he works more on his flight and drift, perhaps with some tips from Warnie, you never know.

knights04

Bench
I don't know what everyone sees in White :? He can't turn the ball, he's hardly classed as a batting allrounder yet he gets picked in front of Hauritz for Aus A. He's only been playing for Vic for 2-3 yrs and he's already the captain :lol: Then again it's no different to NSW cricketers getting picked before other cricketers across Australia

Doctor

Bench
Kaz said:
Shouldn't the headline read.

The Shiek of Cheat Returns.

No Kaz, you must have got it confused in the translation.
The headline should be:
"Sheik of Tweak Returns" 8)

salivor

First Grade
But what is this sheik of tweak returning from? It wouldn't be a drug ban would it? ;-)