What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The site needs a kick along

The last few weeks have been great for LWOS with over 700 posts, till this week, when we have had just about our worst result ever (302 posts for the week).

The fact is, the managers are getting a bit stale I think.

There was a time when Willow, ozbash, Moff, Gav, Legend and myself would see the site going into a bit of a slump and we would bust our arses to get some interesting discussions going to keep the place on the boil.

This last week there has been little football news and the cricket has been boring (except the NZ/India game) so the site has gone into hibernation.

I have said this before, but what I think the site needs is a number of new managers who feel the need to keep the place on the boil during the quiet times. An injection of keen, fresh ideas.

I think we need at least five new managers. IMO just about any one of the posters who have been regular or semi regular over the last 18 months would do the job brilliantly. All that is needed, IMHO, is an appreciation of the values we have established - ie, freedom of speech and respect for the right of others to voice their opinions.

The site isn't in bad shape, which is why we should take this step now, because once the site starts to slide I think it will be very hard to re-establish it as a credible alternative for fair minded sports lovers.

I probably should have sent this to the managers first, but stuff it, let's all have a say on the future of a site that belongs to all the members as much as it does the managers.

imported_E_A__

Juniors
Dude, the counter in you "my communities" list stopped 4 days ago. It happens with MSN now and then.

We did miles over 300 here, there were 136 alone in the MMM thread.

Yeah- if the counter was to be believed..... TFS only had 438 posts for the week......unlikely LWOS only had 304 posts for the week......unlikely WORL only had 198 posts for the week.....well, maybe the counter isn't too far off in some figures. ;)

L

legend

Yep, the counter is stuffed. I think we had at least 700-800 posts this week. I found it to be one of the busier weeks considering it is the offseason. All is in fine shape IMO.

I disagree with the need for new managers. Although the reasoning you put forward is spot on I think if people were going to post quality stuff they would without a big M pinned to their collective chests. This place was always going to go quiet in the off season as it is predominantly filled with league fans, though most have an interest to tide them over & chat about.
IMO the problem is all the senselessbitching & "my-dicks-bigger-than-yours" posts. I mean I have no problem with a catfight now & then but seriously when 95% of the days posts are, or in words to the effect of, "your an idiot" "no you are" "no you are"... it kind of makes the want to return, read & reply fairly diminished.

Well thats merely my shot from the grassy knoll & in the words of the late great D. Adams..."In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I think there's something in that for all of us. ;)

imported_E_A__

Juniors
eels fan

You're an idiot.

;)

Quality is in the eye of the beholder. There is an amount of "fluff" on this site but no more than on any other. Without the fluff, sites can be very drab, boring and are as exciting to some prospective members as a cancerous polyp. WORL being the prime example. Dead as a Dodo.

This site has a decent mix, there is more than enough serious discussions and plently of not so serious discussions to keep Trolls happy. By the way, I am highly qualified to make that statement.

There is of course a simple way to reorganise the mix if anyone wantsto, just start serious discussion threads.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"The fact is, the managers are getting a bit stale I think"
Are you trying to tell me that the 'Wheel of Fortune" thread wasn't up to standard? Grasping at straws even?
lol...it was work of genius! I'm flabbergasted! ;)

OK,
I was wrong.

My excuse, I have been very busy over the last few weeks and haven't had time to post or read myself, so when I did my regular Sunday night check of the numbers I was a bit taken back by what seemed to have been a very bad week.

On the need for new managers - I stand by that, and I have been saying it for several months now.

Eels fan,
The managers don't really have to do much on this site in the way of 'crowd control', but all of us make an effort to keep the site healthy by putting up news items or 'getting to know you' type threads etc. when the site starts to look a bit deserted. It isn't a big thing, but it keeps the site healthy. New managers would have some new approaches to keeping the place turning over, and I think we need that. The off season is the most important time to do this sort of thing. During the season the site bowls along on it's own steam without any trouble.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Its a good and timely thread Roopy. :)
I have no objections to a few new moderators but we need a show of hands.
N

"I have no objections to a few new moderators but we need a show of hands' If there is a community that doesn't need more moderators, it is LWOS. The posters are comparitively tame and disciplinary and corrective action is seldom needed. Why would you need more managers?

"If there is a community that doesn't need more moderators, it is LWOS. The posters are comparitively tame and disciplinary and corrective action is seldom needed. Why would you need more managers?" Meth, It's more about bringing a wider range of interests to the site and allowing people with energy and enthusiasm to do things to make a difference, like starting up new sections to discuss topics of interest to them and such. I'd like to see guys like Canadian Steve or Cyberkev be given a free hand to put up sections on ice hockey or AFL for instance, or some of the boxing fans be able to make the boxing section come alive. There are many more things to managing than just crowd control, in fact, that is the worst aspect of it.

..and they need to be managers to do that? can't the current managers do that on their behalf?
emdgust.gif

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Meth... thats a good point but management isnt about crowd control. Sure, we need a couple of head kickers but the majority of the moderators are more interested in starting topics and keeping the forum flowing.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol... I see Roopy has already said it and even used the same wording... howzat...:D
btw, I used to call it pest control so I must be getting soft on the little buggers. ;)

So managers are responsible for starting threads? The members here are as concerned about the quality of the product as the managers for mine.....you don't need to wave a management biscuit in front of their face. Roopy's original response, directed at all, will suffice.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"So managers are responsible for starting threads? "
Nooo. I don't think anyone said that... .

on the motive behind the need for managers- "It's more about bringing a wider range of interests to the site and allowing people with energy and enthusiasm to do things to make a difference, like starting up new sections to discuss topics of interest to them and such." on the role of the managers, or at the very least the breaking down of my arguement that the main role of management is corrective action "but the majority of the moderators are more interested in starting topics and keeping the forum flowing." I can start a thread or topic, and I can keep a forum flowing....with or without management status.