What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Slipper.

intentcity

First Grade
Can anyone tell me the last time the slipper winner came trough the Blue diamond? I've seen many blue diamond winners-runners get towelled up in the slipper, I can't remember one who's won the double (although I've never really followed 2 year old racing)

it's hard for any horse to peak twice within 8 weeks let alone a 2 year old, yet EarthQuake is the clear favourite, I give her little chance.

thoughts?

intentcity

First Grade
Thought I'd look up how many have actually won the double and came across this.

History shows that Earthquake will need to be something extra special to win the $3.5 million Group 1 Golden Slipper
History shows that Earthquake, Saturday’s Group 1 Sportingbet Blue Diamond Stakes (1200m) winner at Caulfield, will need to be something extra special to win the $3.5 million Group 1 Golden Slipper

Only five winners of the Blue Diamond Stakes have won the Golden Slipper (1200m, run at Rosehill Gardens on April 5), and it’s not as though it’s rarity to attempt the double—31 Blue Diamond winners have run in the Golden Slipper since the Blue Diamond was first run in 1971, won by Tolerance, who went on to finish 11th behind Fairy Walk in the Slipper.

Earthquake’s trainer Peter Snowden knows what's required in that he has done it before. Snowden, assisted by his Melbourne-based son, Paul, steered the chestnut colt Sepoy to complete the double in 2011.

Before that it was Courtza in 1989. The filly was trained by Ross McDonald at Epsom (he’s now based at Caulfield) and McDonald is the only other living trainer to complete the double.

The other three Diamond-Slipper winners are the filly Bounding Away (1986), gelding Manikato (1978) and colt John’s Hope (1972). Tommy Smith trained Bounding Away and John’s Hope, while Manikato was trained by Bon Hoysted.

Snowden said he learnt a lot from his experience with Sepoy, in which he made mistakes post-Blue Diamond. Speaking to Shane Anderson on RSN on Sunday, he said that he gave Sepoy too long a break after the Blue Diamond, which resulted in the gross colt being underdone when he was beaten by Smart Missile in the Group 2 Todman Stakes (1200m, Rosehill), two weeks before his dominant Slipper win.

“I gave him 10 days off after the Blue Diamond and he got away from me. The filly will return to Sydney tomorrow (Monday) and go straight to paddock at Agnes Bank. If all goes to plan, she will be back in the (Warwick Farm) stable next Monday,” he said.

Earthquake became the 18th filly to win the Blue Diamond Stakes. The most recent Blue Diamond winner to attempt to win the Golden Slipper was Mick Price’s filly Samaready, who finished third behind the stars Pierro and Snitzerland in 2012.

Snowden said he plans to follow a similar pattern with Earthquake to that of Sepoy—she will run two weeks before the Slipper, in the Group 2 Reisling Stakes (1200m, for fillies) at Rosehill on March 22.

It’s worth noting that neither Courtza nor Bounding Away ran in the Reisling. Courtza didn’t race between the Diamond and the Slipper, while Bounding Away won the Group 2 Magic Night Stakes (1200m, Rosehill, for fillies), a week before the Slipper.

Manikato and John’s Hope didn’t race between their Group 1 wins.

Snowden feels that Earthquake, unbeaten in three starts, is on an upward curve and will more than likely need the Reisling run to bring her to peak for the Slipper. “She only had one barrier trial and an easy run (in the Blue Diamond Prelude) before winning the Blue Diamond,” he said. Snowden labelled Saturday’s win as “arrogant”.

Interestingly, the sire of Earthquake's dam Cataclysm—Marauding—won the 1987 Slipper, and Canny Lad, the sire of Catalcysm’s dam (Chaparra) won the 1990 Slipper. Earthquake's sire, Exceed And Excel, who finished ninth to Polar Success in the 2003 Slipper, sired the quinella in last year's Slipper, when Overreach beat Sidestep.

Blue Diamond runner-up Jabali also is heading north for the Golden Slipper. The youngster has finished second in his three starts, but trainer Mick Price thinks the colt is improving. It is also believed that a Victorian stud farm is negotiating to buy a share in Jabali, also a son of Exceed And Excel.

Four previous Blue Diamond placegetters have gone on to win the Golden Slipper—Miss Finland (2006, 2nd in the Blue Diamond behind Nadeem); Flying Spur (1995, 2nd, Principality); Canny Lad (1990, 2nd, Mahaasin); Fairy Walk (1971, 3rd, Tolerance).
https://www.racingvictoria.net.au/news/rvl/n_Earthquake_seeks_rare_double.aspx

magpie4ever

First Grade
She was super impressive in Melbourne but this is a step up from that, I didn't think her Sydney run was overly impressive, and she's drawn poorly.

I don't think the barrier will beat her, my only two concerns are a bog track and a classic Kerrin McEvoy shocker.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Courtza in 89 was the last Filly to do the double, and she was outstanding.

Before the barrier draw i thought she was a moral, she is still the one to beat. Very few chances in the race this year IMO.

intentcity

First Grade
I don't think the barrier will beat her, my only two concerns are a bog track and a classic Kerrin McEvoy shocker.

I think the barriers a massive concern, she doesn't have great tactical speed and it's a big field, she's going to have to go back and chances are she'll still be deep.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
This..

I'm too young (just) to have seen him live, but the youtube vids show how good he was..
My late old man just loved him, beaten twice both times on bog tracks and against great horses. Trainer both times said he should have never run the champ. He beat Daryl's Joy(a champion) by 4 lengths who's next start was a 3yo old Cox plate win. Daryl's Joy won group 1's in the US. His Craven A plate win by 12 lengths has to be close to the best ever in a sprint race.

I've seen the youtube clips, amazing :shock: Dad got to me Pat Hyland many years later and chewed his ear off, he was only to happy to talk about his favourite horse :lol:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think the barriers a massive concern, she doesn't have great tactical speed and it's a big field, she's going to have to go back and chances are she'll still be deep.
Same thing happened to Alinghi, an unlucky 3rd. But i do think there was more depth to that field.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Same thing happened to Alinghi, an unlucky 3rd. But i do think there was more depth to that field.

Yep..a bit more depth alright..:lol:

Her 2yo crop included Fastnet Rock, Dance Hero, Charge Forward, Not a Single Doubt, Savabeel, Dane Shadow, & Econsul..

Fair crop..:shock:

magpie4ever

First Grade

The barrier is a bonus, in my mind, she will get back as they go beresk as always in the slipper. and she wont get locked in. Don't mind if she is wide as long as she has cover and as the track is likely to be rain effectd, the middle or wider in the straight will probably be the better going.

But if it is a bog, who knows. Or if McEvoy sits wide without cover - he is diamond or rock, young Kerrin - there is no in between for him.

Tayjack

Juniors
She was super impressive in Melbourne but this is a step up from that, I didn't think her Sydney run was overly impressive, and she's drawn poorly.

Won't matter if she's 4 and 5 deep she has about 6 gears the others 3-4 max. Best she's drawn out, they will go mad out of the gates, the jock will probably get her across behind the madness up front, if not and she's posted, it won't make any difference to the result, but only the gap she puts in them. The only I can see beating her is a heavy track.

intentcity

First Grade
The barrier is a bonus, in my mind, she will get back as they go beresk as always in the slipper. and she wont get locked in. Don't mind if she is wide as long as she has cover and as the track is likely to be rain effectd, the middle or wider in the straight will probably be the better going.

But if it is a bog, who knows. Or if McEvoy sits wide without cover - he is diamond or rock, young Kerrin - there is no in between for him.

She has a lot going against her, peaking twice over 7 weeks or so isn't easy, I'll certainly be looking for something to beat her, might back a few $10-$20 buckers and hope for the best, I'll find those horses out of those who are in their first prep and are reasonably drawn.

intentcity

First Grade

There certainly isn't a stand out this year, but does that prove the depth of the race? Maybe we just have an evenly matched crop this year, I'll tell you now the colt that started equal favourite in the BD with Earthquake was quality, if he ran second or third I would say Earthquake was the better horse, but he finished well back and was beaten by horses he trounced 2 and 4 weeks earlier.

Back Earthquake at your peril IMO, I think she's the lay of the autumn.

Sphagnum

Coach
Sepoy did the double a couple of years ago. Earthquake would have kicked his head in IMO. Special filly.

Latest posts