What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Stadium Saga...

iggy plop

First Grade
DIEHARD said:
Now the council are trying to tell us the value of the land at Robina has risen to $10-20 million. And now they are mooting building a rectangular stadium next to the oval field at Carrara and saving money sharing changing rooms, media, training and corporate facilities.

And this money saved can be spent on the stadium, even though the council has nothing to do with the construction of the stadium. :rolleyes:

Can someone politely tell this wanker to f**k off back to Victoria?

DIEHARD

----
Stadium site at Nerang in play
14Jun05

The city council is investigating yet another stadium site, this time just a stone's throw from Carrara's white elephant.

Mayor Ron Clarke has confirmed that a vacant block of land at Nerang is the latest of six contenders to house a new rugby league stadium.

It is understood the land is just a few kilometres from the antiquated Carrara stadium, also being considered as a home for the Gold Coast's NRL team.

Cr Clarke refused to divulge the land's location, except to say it was near the Nerang train station.

"We are duty bound to investigate all options," he said.

"The area of Robina, Nerang and Carrara are by far the best ones."

He said the Nerang land met the important criteria of being close to public transport.

"That could be a reasonable site; at this stage we're not getting too excited though," said Cr Clarke. "We are still trading on Robina."

Cr Clarke inspected potential sites with his assistant, former mayor Ray Stevens, last week.

However, council insiders said there were concerns the site at Nerang did not offer enough flood-free land.

Cr Clarke insisted the Nerang site, which emerged as an option last week, would not delay a council decision on where to put a stadium.

The council has been under sustained criticism over its land negotiations, with sporting and business leaders concerned it was dragging its heels on the issue.

Despite the storm of protest, councillors will not make a decision on where to house the stadium until July 18, after the council's two-week, mid-year recess.

Cr Clarke has previously claimed that will allow plenty of time for the Queensland Government to build a stadium.

State Treasurer Terry Mackenroth has already offered to build and run a 25,000-seat stadium, provided the council coughs up the land.

Although the Gold Coast team would debut at the Gold Coast Stadium at Carrara in 2007, it would ideally kick off in a new stadium in 2008.

Chief executive officer Dale Dickson said the council was now looking at six sites: at Nerang, Carrara, Coomera, Reedy Creek and two sites at Robina.

"The council decision was to look at all possible sites," said Mr Dickson.

"Obviously some have stronger merits than others on face value, but we haven't automatically discounted them. However, the sooner we get down to a limited number of sites, the better."

The council has already entered into negotiations with Robina Land Corporation, the owner of a prime par-cel of land next to Robina train station and the preferred site for a stadium.

Mr Dickson refused to give further information on the locations of other sites due to commercial sensitivities.

"We want to be courteous to the people involved," he said.

GOLD COAST BULLETIN

DIEHARD

----
I think they are trying to play silly buggars, pretending that there is actually any competition as to where to build the stadium to get a cheaper deal on the Robina site because apparently they jacked up the price.

Another idea doing the rounds, is the Council building a 2nd rectangular stadium beside the oval field at Carrara and they would share dressing sheds, corporate, media and training facilities to save a buck. :sleeper:

Come on, the QLD Government has the stadium covered, stop playing games and buy the Robina land you bloody cheap skates!

DIEHARD

----
Don't worry they can't root it up too badly. I am still having nightmares about what might have been if Ronald was in charge of building the stadium.

The state government wont tolerate much more sh*t from the feeble GCCC.

bowdown.gif
Beattie.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Does anyone think 25,000 is a bit small? Obviously Suncorp is only an hour or so away, but I would have thought that going for a bit more extra capacity towards at least 30,000 (35,000 if you really want) would have meant that it would be far more feasible to have rep clashes there. And I think GC will generate huge crowd averages as well.

mepelthwack

Juniors
I got this in an email from the consortium,

"Thank you for your interest in season tickets for our inaugural season. We have retained your
information on file and as soon as we have pricing and other information concerning season tickets for
2007 we will be in touch. We are appreciative of your early interest in our team and will
endeavour to have this information for you as soon as possible.

Best Regards

Gold Coast Rugby League Consortium

P.S. Ground capacity has not been confirmed yet: 30 - 35,000 would be my guess"

mightybears

Bench
Tamazoid said:
Does anyone think 25,000 is a bit small? Obviously Suncorp is only an hour or so away, but I would have thought that going for a bit more extra capacity towards at least 30,000 (35,000 if you really want) would have meant that it would be far more feasible to have rep clashes there. And I think GC will generate huge crowd averages as well.

its a cost thing
if they design it properly they can add capacity if warranted

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I think the stadium should be ATLEAST 30, 000. That way you could play internationals, and you never know if the Origin series is already decided after 2 games they could play the dead rubber there.

Razor

Coach
I think the stadium should be ATLEAST 30, 000. That way you could play internationals, and you never know if the Origin series is already decided after 2 games they could play the dead rubber there.

I think 30,000. No bigger. 28,000 in a 30,000 seat stadium if far better than 31,000 in a 40,000 seat stadium.

25,000 is a bit small though - as long as they build it at Robina

If it's at Carrara, they won't get close to that regulary unless they majorly improve the totally pathetic access with Nerang-Broadbeach being a disgrace - it needs to be upgraded now even without a stadium - The Gold Coast tennis is 200m up the road from Carrara stadium and the tennis centre holds 1,300 people, and it takes me 25 minutes down the freeway, but then another 20-30 minutes to get from the exit to the tennis which is around 5km, so imagine what it'll be like with the stadium. And the trains are nowhere near there, and the Gold Coast bus service is almost as bad as the Logan bus service.

If it's at Coomera, it's sort of like ANZ stadium. Coomera isn't really a central spot.

iggy plop

First Grade
Tidus_Raider said:

No need to play a dead rubber there. Lang Park will sell-out regardless.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
iggy plop said:
No need to play a dead rubber there. Lang Park will sell-out regardless.

No doubt, but it would give the profile of the game a huge boost in the area.

Kind of like the the Brisbane V North Queensland Final at Dairy Farmers did in the area.

Latest posts