What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Stadium Saga...

Copa

Bench
http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200507/1416458.htm?goldcoast

Council to decide on rugby stadium site
Monday, 18 July 2005. 12:13 (AEST)Monday, 18 July 2005. 12:13 (ACST)Monday, 18 July 2005. 13:13 (AEDT)Monday, 18 July 2005. 10:13 (AWST)
The Gold Coast City Council today is expected to decide where the city's new rugby league stadium will be built.

Mayor Ron Clarke says price is likely to determine the outcome.

The owners of five hectares near the Nerang Railway station have slashed their asking price to try to sway councillors away from their main competitor, Robina Land Corporation.

Councillor Clarke says he believes the Robina site has more to offer than Nerang .

"The area itself is not as well developed and there's really only the one road you can escape on beside the station for car traffic," Councillor Clarke said.

"So all in all Robina is the preferred site provided the price is not too high.

"I mean we are looking at $175 million here. I would have thought one or two million in the first instance over 50 years for a much better site - I'd argue that way."

DIEHARD

----
Well it has been fun, but time to unstick the thread now that the circus has left town.

I am sure I am not the only person happy that the council's involvement now ends and they can sit on the bench for the remainder of the project while the state government makes it happen.

And more importantly, happy that the Robina land won! Because it was by far the best option.

I made a new sticky thread called The Stadium Thread, where we can chat about the new development. You know gold plated plumbing in the toilets and how much leg room we will be given. ;-)

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=114401

0neye

0neye said:
i VOTE FOR CLUB CAVILL ;()
I KNEW IF i VOTED THAT WAY THEY WOULD DO THIS LOL ;()

Coast team scores a field goal;-)
Greg Stolz, Gold Coast bureau chief
19jul05

IT has a team, it has its first players and now the Gold Coast has secured its rugby league field of dreams.

The Gold Coast City Council yesterday selected Robina as the stadium site for the Coast's as-yet unnamed NRL team, which will make its debut in 2007.

Strategically located next to Robina railway station, the land was chosen ahead of sites at Nerang, Coomera, Reedy Creek and the existing Carrara Stadium.

The Robina Land Corporation had demanded $20 million for the 5ha site but the council managed to beat down the price by more than $3 million. The haggling was helped by the Japanese owners of the Nerang site, who slashed their asking price from $24 million to $16 million in an attempt to unCUT

But the council agreed to pay slightly more – $16.9 million – for the Robina site because it believed it was more central and provided better access. Under the deal, the council will pay for the land and the State Government will build the stadium:lol:

Latest posts