What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Stadium Thread!

bluenwhite

Juniors
that looks f**king awesome. i wish we could have something like that in belmore with a capacity of 30k.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Gold Coast have the advantage of lots of open land, plenty of infrastructure, and a shirt load of money.

nqboy

First Grade
I think they said only 25,000.

Was it only an artist's impression? The story I saw said the mob who won the contract (the other mob) were the same guys that are re-doing Wembley and did SA. They showed a model and I got the impression the deal was done with construction to start mid-2006.

axie

Juniors
Any image created by the developer / architect prior to the building being completed is "an artist's impression" ...

Timbo

Staff member
Same company that built Telstra Stadium and Telstra Dome are doing this one, so you know it'll be quality.

Excellent design for the ground. It'll put the GC ahead of Canberra and Parramatta as the club with the best 'small' home ground at any rate.

It'll also help the GC in attracting other rectangle field sports to the region.

t-ba

Post Whore
Timbo said:
Same company that built Telstra Stadium and Telstra Dome are doing this one, so you know it'll be quality.

As long as it isn't a 'multi-purpose' stadium..eh:-k

Timbo

Staff member
Here's a full article:

Architects behind Australia's top stadiums win Robina design stakes
Queensland Premier Peter Beattie today announced that the architects who designed the highly praised Suncorp Stadium, Telstra Stadium and Telstra Dome have also been appointed to create the $100 million 25,000-seat Gold Coast Stadium at Robina.

With a brief to reflect the Gold Coast's identity, HOK Sport +Venue + Event Pty Ltd has come up with the winning proposal to blend the stadium in with the surrounding Robina town centre.

"It is an exciting concept and I am sure the new stadium will become an iconic landmark in Queensland," said Mr Beattie last night.

"It is a high-quality design which makes good use of the land and site specifications. The architect has paid particular attention to integrating the stadium into the Robina urban centre."

Mr Beattie said the design brief to companies stressed the need for the stadium to reflect the identity of the Coast.

"The design and location of this stadium will enhance the appeal of Robina as the sporting and entertainment precinct on the Gold Coast," he said.

"It will be a fully functional, quality rugby league, rugby union and soccer venue."

Mr Beattie said HOK Sport had a strong background in designing world-class stadiums.

"Their expertise and experience has been demonstrated with projects such as Telstra Stadium, Telstra Dome and international stadiums," he said.

"Of course, they also designed what I believe is the best stadium in the world Suncorp Stadium."

HOK Sport would now prepare detailed designs that are based on their successful proposal.

The final cost of the stadium would be determined after the selection process for a building consultant was completed by the end of October to ensure a competitive costing of the stadium was obtained.

Construction of the stadium was expected to start in mid-2006, with commissioning to follow early in 2008 in time for the kick-off of the 2008 NRL season.

The Gold Coast Titans rugby league team will play their first season in 2007 at the old Carrara stadium, which will be upgraded for the comfort of spectators.

The Gold Coast Stadium will be owned and operated by the Government, through the Major Sports Facilities Authority.

The authority has engaged the Department of Public Works to be the principal and construction authority for the new stadium.

The MSFA currently operates Suncorp Stadium, the Gabba, the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre, the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, the Sleeman Centre and Dairy Farmers Stadium in Townsville.

From Austadiums.com

nqboy

First Grade
Cheers Timbo.

One of the aspects that most appeals is the "closed in" design with a roof. That creates the intimacy and magnifies the crowd noise that is such a feature of English grounds.

Go the Gladiators.

Timbo

Staff member
Some pics of the new stadium from titans.com.au:

Attachments

• stad1.jpg
    stad1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 12
  • stad2.jpg
    stad2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 7
  • stad3.jpg
    stad3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 6
  • stad4.jpg
    stad4.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 6
  • stad5.jpg
    stad5.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 7
  • stad6.jpg
    stad6.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 6
I get redirected to a page saying I don't have enough privileges to edit the post. Huh???
Do I need to be a mod to see those pics from those links??

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I just logged out and clicked on the links as a guest Thunderstruck.

Working OK here. Anyone else?

Latest posts