What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The story of Fitz and Newman's dad.

Great story involving our very own Newman's father.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport

When Cronulla fan Roy Newman was lying prone on a busy Thirroul intersection two years ago after a serious bike accident that fractured his vertebrae and led to spinal surgery, plenty of motorists opted to just drive by.

Craig Fitzgibbon proved the exception.

“It’s truly the story of the good Samaritan,” Newman said.

Newman couldn’t move. The 69-year-old came off his bike at the corner of Wrexham Road and Lawrence Hargrave Drive. He watched as countless drivers rubbernecked before continuing their commute.

Advertisement
When Fitzgibbon saw what had happened, he stopped to check on Newman’s health and hailed an ambulance. The incoming Sharks coach also phoned Newman’s wife to let her know what had happened and then drove the bike back to their house.

“He was a good bloke,” Newman said. “He was very kind. If somebody is injured on the side of the road, a lot of people would drive by and wouldn’t take any care. But he offered all the assistance he could, he couldn’t have been more friendly or helpful.

“I was in a huge amount of pain, I couldn’t stand up at the time. He got the paramedics for me and made me as comfortable as he could. He got a sloppy joe out of his truck and put it underneath my head.”

When the story is relayed to Nick Politis, the Roosters chairman isn’t surprised.

“He’s a unique guy,” Politis said. “That’s why he has been with us for so long.”

Advertisement
Fitzgibbon’s time at the Roosters is nearing an end. After two decades at the club, as a player and then a coach, Fitzgibbon is preparing to take the head coaching role at Cronulla. Such is the love for the former NSW and Australian international at Bondi Junction that he was recently bestowed with life membership.

47259a5a83c414f2fc14bfe6c2dd59c7cef62fe8

Craig Fitzgibbon is ready to take over at Cronulla.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS

There were opportunities to leave earlier; the Knights, Warriors, Cowboys and Dragons had made approaches to make Fitzgibbon their head coach. In the case of the Red V, he knocked back a $2 million offer to replace Paul McGregor.

However, Fitzgibbon never considered extricating himself from his Roosters contract. It is why he will leave with Politis’ blessing.

“His word is his bond,” Politis said. “You couldn’t get a more dedicated or loyal person as a coach or as a player. He’s shown it all.

“He wanted a challenge so we wish him all the best. It’s good that he’s taken it. It’s getting to the stage where, financially, he needs to look after his family.

snout

First Grade
Newman jr might come back.
Isnt he the dude who spiralled on here a fornight ago.

Frenzy.

Immortal
It's a shame this is a good news story. What I mean is, it should be normal for people to stop and assist in situations like these.

It's a shit world we live in when people have a look and keep going on their way.

Yet so many slow down to have a gawk. Makes me incensed.

Quigs

Immortal
Good on Fitz but if it was Newie Jnr I would of gone over and ratted his pockets.

Latest posts