What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sunday Mail: Eels pack must back Tim

Hurriflatch

Referee
0,1658,5043741,00.jpg

Eels pack must back Tim
STEVE RICKETTS and PETER BADEL
04sep05

PARRAMATTA coach Brian Smith has told his forwards to lift their act or the talents of brilliant young halfback Tim Smith will be wasted in the NRL finals.

Former Gold Coast schoolboy star Tim Smith (no relation to Brian) was named Parramatta's rookie of the year and received the Eric Grothe Trophy from the man himself after the Eels' 28-14 win over Brisbane at Parramatta Stadium on Friday night.

It was Smith's kicking game that helped keep Brisbane on the back foot in the second half when Parramatta scored 22 unanswered points.

But in the first half, when the Broncos forwards outmuscled their rivals, he was quiet.

"The forwards have to create space for Tim to operate in," Brian Smith said. "At this stage of his development we can't expect him to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

"We need to learn to play better at the front end of a game. We were made to look second rate at various times. Brisbane did a top job. They were strong and physical and we didn't handle that very well."

Tim Smith played all 24 NRL matches for the Eels in their march to the minor premiership, scoring six tries and setting up many more.

"I've never experienced anything like finals before so it's going to be tough," Smith said. "I'll just go out and try my best and come October hopefully we will be there."

Parramatta doctor Michael Johnson yesterday conceded Nathan Hindmarsh would be "very lucky" to appear in the finals, prompting speculation whether the Eels could land their first title since 1986 without their gun player.

The NSW Origin workhorse underwent scans at Johnson's medical offices at Parramatta yesterday morning.

In the best-case scenario, he will miss two weeks, which would enable him to play in the grand final qualifier, provided the Eels get that far.

Asked if Hindmarsh would be seen again this season, Johnson said: "Probably not. If only the posterior (ligament) is torn, then Nathan, if he's very lucky, could be back in two weeks, provided he heals quicker than the average person.

"If there is associated bruising and muscle damage, then he will require a six-week recovery period and that ends his season.

"But at this stage, if I was a Parramatta supporter, I wouldn't be holding my breath."

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16481306%255E2764,00.html

bartman

Immortal
Grand final only for Hindy, and that's still a maybe...

I want our pack to protect Timmy, because now people are analysing our team they realise he is the one we have most difficulty covering for. There'll be cheap shot merchants at it from here on in, and our pack needs to be breathing fire to scare them off...

jayman

Juniors
crap....

from what i can gather from the doctor and hindy from the article.. he wont be back..

maybe..the GF.. but unlikely

Miss_Eels

Juniors
I'm not believing anything in regards to Hindy until we hear official word on his injury. All these papers and online-sites just recycle and re-word old quotes so I wouldn't rely on them to update us on the injury. We should all just wait patiently until the official site posts something.

Hurriflatch

Referee
I'm surprised none of the female members of this board (or PJ/Half) have commented on the photo yet.

Utey

Coach
Every newspaper article is different. I dont think the doctors even know.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Don't even pay attention to the ridiculous paper us QLD'ers have to suffer through all bloody week. When we beat the Broncos, the headline photo was a Broncos try and the whole article was about how the Broncos showed alot of heart, are down but not out, blah blah :blahb: :blahb: :blahb:.

I wouldn't take anything printed in this paper seriously, they're even less credible than the Daily Telecrap

Hellsy

Immortal
"The forwards have to create space for Tim to operate in," Brian Smith said. "At this stage of his development we can't expect him to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

Another wonderful quote from Smithy!!
Very true thought, the forwards need to help Tim, if he gets shut down he will not be effective.

"We need to learn to play better at the front end of a game. We were made to look second rate at various times. Brisbane did a top job. They were strong and physical and we didn't handle that very well."

Tim Smith played all 24 NRL matches for the Eels in their march to the minor premiership, scoring six tries and setting up many more.

"I've never experienced anything like finals before so it's going to be tough," Smith said. "I'll just go out and try my best and come October hopefully we will be there."

Go Tim!!!

Latest posts