What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benny said:
How are my facts wrong

Illawarra were broke and didn't have any money and would not have competed in the 1999 or be definately extinct by 2000

St George put a reported 3.5 to 4 mil a year and Illawarra put in 500,000. St George Leagues Club also put the majority of the money in Illawarra Leagues renovations at well over 4 million

If St George are paying all the bills then we are funding junior development in the Illawarra

Incorrect.

Illawarra were not broke and could of competed in 1999 and 2000. The worry was where they'd find financial backing for the future after the Optus money ran out and they were also worried that they wouldn't make the top 14 cut.

Also, for the last couple of seasons Illawarra has put 1.4million a year into the joint venture, St.George 3.5mil. It could be argued that the Steelers are providing St.George access to our region as well as giving them a 1.4million dollar discount each year to run around in the St.George red V.

St.George may well be providing more money for the NRL team and Jersey flegg teams, but it is the Steelers who control juniour teams and development alone (which in turn become the Dragons of tomorrow), as they have done since 1982, and set the club up with it's current stars such as: Cooper, Hornby, Ryles, Bailey, Timmins just to name some.

And as for the money into the Steelers Club (not the Illawarra Leagues Club, thats a totally different club), it is a LOAN. They would of got one from somewhere, St.George made an investment which is going to benefit them.

Stgillaman said:
Benny said:
I believe of the top 25 13 were St George and 12 were Illawarra

Grand Final Team

Patten - Illawarra
Blacklock - Saints
Timmins - Illawarra
McGregor - Ilawarra
Ainscough - Saints
Mundine - Saints
Barrett - Illawarra
Liekvoll - Illawarra
Brown - Saints
Smith - Illawarra
Thompson - Saints
Tracy - Saints
Bartrim - Saints

Starting side 7 Saints and 6 Illawarra

Ward - Saints
Pearson - Saints
Wishart - Illawarra
McKay - Illawarra

So thats 9 saints and 8 Illawarra

Doesn't sound like a majority to me!

Benny.. That's the end of the Story. you beat him with One Blow.

Well Done.

He came here thinking he could upset Dragons fans. LOL.

He should find a Illawarra Section, and have a go in there.. Idiot.

There were 9 Illawarra players, 8 St.G. And most of the Illawarra players were our own juniors as well.

Anonymous

Juniors
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Incorrect

Illawarra were not broke and could of competed in 1999 and 2000. The worry was where they'd find financial backing for the future after the Optus money ran out and they were also worried that they wouldn't make the top 14 cut.
OK, they weren't broke. They were about to be without ongoing and gainful income.

Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Also, for the last couple of seasons Illawarra has put 1.4million a year into the joint venture, St.George 3.5mil. It could be argued that the Steelers are providing St.George access to our region as well as giving them a 1.4million dollar discount each year to run around in the St.George red V.
lol. That could be argued.

Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
And as for the money into the Steelers Club (not the Illawarra Leagues Club, thats a totally different club), it is a LOAN. They would of got one from somewhere, St.George made an investment which is going to benefit them.
Ah there it is: $8.29million. It could be argued that this loan is generous to the extreme and that the Steelers club wouldn't exist without it.

Nice work bender. You're a scoundrel :lol:

You seem to struggle with the whole loan concept. The Steelers Club would exist without it. And it is a LOAN = which means it is being paid back. The purpose of helping the Steelers become equal financial contributors will save St.George big time. The joint venture already saves them 1.4mil a season and as this figure grows, St.George will put in less.

Anonymous

Juniors
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
You seem to struggle with the whole loan concept.
That's because I don't have your smarts.

The reality is that the debt has grown more than it has been reduced.
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
The Steelers Club would exist without it. And it is a LOAN = which means it is being paid back. The purpose of helping the Steelers become equal financial contributors will save St.George big time. The joint venture already saves them 1.4mil a season and as this figure grows, St.George will put in less.
You really like to put that loan word in caps don't you? :lol:
They may eventually pay it back but don't try and make out the Steelers were financially in touch with their inner selves... because the fact is, they were on the ropes.

Look, The team is called StGeorge Illawarra Dragons. If there was no JV, the team(s) would be recruiting and developing like they did in the 90s. But with the JV, there's a natural progression to nuture what the Illawarra have. It's commonsense. Without the JV, players on the South Coast would be carved up.

And what is this crap about the Illawarra putting in 1.4million, as you claim, and this is saving? If Saints are putting in $3.5million every year, as you claim, then they are putting in more of the readies as well as underwriting the clubhouse.

This is has got nothing to do with the JV. It could be any company. You're saying that putting in less than half as much is a saving for the major underwriter...? How does that work? FMD, talk about creative accounting. Sure it's a saving allright, it's a saving for the blokes putting in the $1.4million.

Willow said:
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
You seem to struggle with the whole loan concept.
That's because I don't have your smarts.

The reality is that the debt has grown more than it has been reduced.
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
The Steelers Club would exist without it. And it is a LOAN = which means it is being paid back. The purpose of helping the Steelers become equal financial contributors will save St.George big time. The joint venture already saves them 1.4mil a season and as this figure grows, St.George will put in less.
You really like to put that loan word in caps don't you? :lol:
They may eventually pay it back but don't try and make out the Steelers were financially in touch with their inner selves... because the fact is, they were on the ropes.

Look, The team is called StGeorge Illawarra Dragons. If there was no JV, the team(s) would be recruiting and developing like they did in the 90s. But with the JV, there's a natural progression to nuture what the Illawarra have. It's commonsense. Without the JV, players on the South Coast would be carved up.

And what is this crap about the Illawarra putting in 1.4million, as you claim, and this is saving? If Saints are putting in $3.5million every year, as you claim, then they are putting in more of the readies as well as underwriting the clubhouse.

This is has got nothing to do with the JV. It could be any company. You're saying that putting in less than half as much is a saving for the major underwriter...? How does that work? FMD, talk about creative accounting. Sure it's a saving allright, it's a saving for the blokes putting in the $1.4million.

We put in, roughly, a quarter financially. Yet everything is pure St.George. You'd have to cover that extra expense every year as well as pour extra millions into recruiting, every year, to have the "brand" running around in red V's the same as they do now.

What I'm saying is, we contribute a considerable amount and all we see is red V's and all we hear people say is "St.George".

Southernsaint

Staff member
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
We put in, roughly, a quarter financially. Yet everything is pure St.George. You'd have to cover that extra expense every year as well as pour extra millions into recruiting, every year, to have the "brand" running around in red V's the same as they do now.

What I'm saying is, we contribute a considerable amount and all we see is red V's and all we hear people say is "St.George".

MOS_1982,

I'm afraid you're thinking emotionally. From the figures I've seen there's no way the Illawarra are putting in "roughly, a quarter" of funding for the JV.

If you'd wanted a "fairer" (although I think 7 games a year for a small financial input is quite fair) deal, then maybe Bobby Steeler should've driven a harder bargain at the negotiating table in late 1998. I mean, if Illawarra brings so much to the JV, then surely they'd have something to bargain with, right??

Steel-Dragon

Juniors
Benny wrote
Grand Final Team

Patten - Illawarra
Blacklock - Saints
Timmins - Illawarra
McGregor - Ilawarra
Ainscough - Saints
Mundine - Saints
Barrett - Illawarra
Liekvoll - Illawarra
Brown - Saints
Smith - Illawarra
Thompson - Saints
Tracy - Saints
Bartrim - Saints

Starting side 7 Saints and 6 Illawarra

Ward - Saints
Pearson - Saints
Wishart - Illawarra
McKay - Illawarra

So thats 9 saints and 8 Illawarra

Doesn't sound like a majority to me!

That was the "99" team... :roll:
Have a look at this years team.

1. Ben Hornby
2. Ben Creagh
3. Matt Cooper
6. Trent Barrett ( Old Steeler )
7. Matt Head
8. Luke Bailey
9. Ryan Powell (couple of games this year)
10. Jason Ryles
11. Dean Young
12. Justin Poore
13. Shaun Timmins
14. Ashton Sims

"Didn't we do all this crap a few weeks ago"
Some people ("St George Fan") need to move on and support the "St George Illawarra Dragons"
and not the "St George" side that won 11 GF.. :? :?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Steel-Dragon said:
"Didn't we do all this crap a few weeks ago"
Some people ("St George Fan") need to move on and support the "St George Illawarra Dragons"
and not the "St George" side that won 11 GF.. :? :?

Thanks for telling just who we are to support, SD

Ribs

Bench
yes, plenty of Illawarra juniors.

Just think, if Bobby Steeler had won the 19 million dollar powerball jackpot, he may just have kept them at the club.

Anonymous

Juniors
Steel-Dragon said:
That was the "99" team... :roll:
Have a look at this years team.
S-D, you're contradicting yourself. You seem to be the one who doesn't understand what the joint venture means in terms of juniors. If the JV didn't exist, those players would have been on the open market and almost certainly, no games being played in Wollongong.

Steel-Dragon

Juniors
:roll: Sorry Willow on the Gold Coast near NSW. :cry:
Just saying they are Illawarra juniors.

If the JV didn't exist where would St George be getting their players from..?? the Illawarra maybe and wouldn't that
make them another Sydney Rooster.
:thumnn

Anonymous

Juniors
Steel-Dragon said:
:roll: Sorry Willow on the Gold Coast near NSW. :cry:
And that has to with...? Please explain what my location has to do with this. :?:
Steel-Dragon said:
Just saying they are Illawarra juniors.
Funny, I keep hearing that it's St George-Illawarra Dragons. Is that right? Or am I hearing voices? I get so confused by these things.

Steel-Dragon said:
:If the JV didn't exist where would St George be getting their players from..?? the Illawarra maybe and wouldn't that
make them another Sydney Rooster.
:thumnn
lol... maybe. If you want to take it to that level.
But the Steelers would be gone and the players from the South Coast would be on the open market, with perhaps a few feeder club arrangements.
The Illawarra has a long history of providing juniors for the Dragons.
To say how many of these players would be getting a run with Saints is pure speculation.

Or the Steelers could of merged with someone else.

The Sharks and Wests expressed interest but Bobby Steeler scoffed at any suggestion of linking up with anyone other than his beloved St.George. He got what he always wanted, a place on the board of directors.

Anonymous

Juniors
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Or the Steelers could of merged with someone else.

The Sharks and Wests expressed interest but Bobby Steeler scoffed at any suggestion of linking up with anyone other than his beloved St.George. He got what he always wanted, a place on the board of directors.
IMO, the signals from Sharks were a just an attempt to unsettle the JV. A few years earlier Cronulla were offering Saints an absurd JV deal which was rejected out of hand.

And Wests?

Suffice to say you picked two of the struggler clubs to make a comparison.

gregstar

Referee
I like the fact that both clubs merged! I'm not from either area so maybe I'm missing something, but I'm proud of the joint venture & hope it lasts for both saints & steeler supporters!

Locke

Juniors
So a roosters fan questions us and suddenly Saints and Steelers fans are bickering as if we don't follow the same team. It's one club now and both sides contribute. Bickering like this just leads to a weaker organisation.

Moral - Don't listen to Roosters fans. They suck. And their team is a bunch of wankers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts