What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Term 'Joint Venture Club'.

possm

Coach
Hearing this term used by comentors is one of my pet hates. We are no longer a joint venture club as their is only one football club involved and that is the St Gorge Rugby League Football Club. Yes like the Broncos, Storm, Dogs Manly and South Sydney, we have investors that have an interest in our Club, and rightly so, they are not called a joint venture club and the likes of the Dogs Roosters and Manly have changed their names over the years without losing the right to their previous history.

The name St George Illawarra simply mans that we represent these districts in the NRL competition. Two clubs do not own the team or work together to manage this team.

I dearly want the St George Illawarra Board to take this up with the NRL and have our history ritghfully restored and also make it clear we are no longer a joint venture club.

If anything it should be the Illawarra Dragons, stop living in the past, St George ceased in 1998.

Have to agree with you Leigh, apart from the jersey, the club resembles Illawarra in every respect since Illawarra’s admission into the league over 30 years ago.

2010 was an aberration.

When the jersey is finally changed to all red, we will finally be the Illawarra Steel Dragons.

For the record Bennett and now Griffin have come to the joint venture to coach St George:)

Possm, time to stop the shit stirring and accept our survival in the NRL is predicated on the club being based in the Illawarra region.

We are no longer considered a Sydney Club.

Whilst ever the red V remains I will support the club.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It happened 22 years ago but they like to remind the world. I would love to hear them say, the Sydney Roosters, "previously known as Easter Suburbs in case you are wondering who they are when you look at the records".

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Have to agree with you Leigh, apart from the jersey, the club resembles Illawarra in every respect since Illawarra’s admission into the league over 30 years ago.

2010 was an aberration.

When the jersey is finally changed to all red, we will finally be the Illawarra Steel Dragons.
Question: How much financial stake do the Steelers have in the Joint Venture?

Hint: the answer starts with "z" and ends with "o".

possm

Coach
There is a push from within the NRL and from certain people within the Illawarra system to have the Dragons move completely to Wollongong. But there is no wish from within the St George Rugby Leagues Club to do such a thing. The NRL failed in their attempt to rub South Sydney out of the competition and would not want to visit that type of legal mess again.

It is much more likely that WIN Corp sell their shares to another investor at the request of the licence holder St George Football Club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There's always at least one outsider that trolls into these threads to show their ignorance, and sadly, at least one Steelers supporter who agrees with said outsider.

SaintPauli

Juniors
The new ground upgrade and centre of excellence is imminent. I hope it will be Kogarah

1. Win stadium is going to be demolished as it is adjacent to a surf beach and the stadiums structures are coroding. Sold to developers.
2. Kogarah jubilee is demographically in a great location for recruitment
3. Kogarah jubilee has an incredible proud history and an icon of nrl

The new ground upgrade and centre of excellence is imminent. I hope it will be Kogarah

1. Win stadium is going to be demolished as it is adjacent to a surf beach and the stadiums structures are coroding. Sold to developers.
2. Kogarah jubilee is demographically in a great location for recruitment
3. Kogarah jubilee has an incredible proud history and an icon of nrl

I see 3 silly statements here.

This Year?

Immortal
I thought that we have been a joint venture club since '98. These kinds of identity crisis threads really shit me. There are many supporters from both sides of the joint venture who want to live in the pre-jv days. It's nice for nostalgia but nothing else. I doubt very much that we will ever see those days again even if at times I've longed for it more than anything.
The premise of the joint venture was to make both parties stronger. I'm from the St George side and have shared many moments good and bad with supporters from both sides. Both clubs have an obligation to preserve their history, but also create history. If the clubs had the same passion as the fans, these kinds of threads wouldn't exist.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I thought that we have been a joint venture club since '98. These kinds of identity crisis threads really shit me. There are many supporters from both sides of the joint venture who want to live in the pre-jv days. It's nice for nostalgia but nothing else. I doubt very much that we will ever see those days again even if at times I've longed for it more than anything.
The premise of the joint venture was to make both parties stronger. I'm from the St George side and have shared many moments good and bad with supporters from both sides. Both clubs have an obligation to preserve their history, but also create history. If the clubs had the same passion as the fans, these kinds of threads wouldn't exist.
I don't think nostalgia is the only reason why people look back. You also mention passion and history. i'll throw in heritage and identity as well.

But I do agree that the premise of any joint venture should be to make both parties stronger. Did the JV formed at the end of of 1998 achieve that, especially given that it no longer exists?

This Year?

Immortal
I don't think nostalgia is the only reason why people look back. You also mention passion and history. i'll throw in heritage and identity as well.

But I do agree that the premise of any joint venture should be to make both parties stronger. Did the JV formed at the end of of 1998 achieve that, especially given that it no longer exists?
Sadly WIN brought out the Steelers share IIRC which would mean it has ultimately failed.

Latest posts