What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread

chileman

Coach
You might see me around here a bit more as I'm currently living in Santiago, Chile...moved here last week with the family. Good to see some of the regulars still posting here. :)

Misanthrope

Staff member
Awesome! What takes you to Chile?

I've been home in Australia for just over six months and I'm already itching to get out on the road again :crazy:

chileman

Coach
My wife is chilena and we decided while our 2 sons are still in their mid teens we would let them experience the culture, learn the language and spend plenty pf time with extended family over here they just dont see. Food is pretty decent as well. ;-)
We are going to work with the poor as well so its not just a long holiday.....

Misanthrope

Staff member
Fantastic. Definitely a huge boon to get the opportunity to experience another culture (or their own culture, in this case) while you're young and can soak it up.

soc123_au

Staff member
I'm back to China in May. This time 3 nights in Beijing, back to Hong Kong & Guangdong for 8 Nights for work related crap & then 5 nights in the Philippines on the way home. Staying in Cebu & heading over to Leyte for a night for an engagement party.

Any advise for Beijing & the Philippines? I havent been to either before. Beijing we are staying about a block away from The Forbidden City, so that should be pretty easy to check out. Will most likely book a guided tour to see The Great Wall, but not sure what else to tie in with it. Apparently the hotel is also close to the Wangfujing Night Market, so will definitely sus that out as well.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If you have the option in the Philippines, get out of Manilla. I'd suggest El Nido if you're looking for some peace and quiet.

Pugzley

I'm back to China in May. This time 3 nights in Beijing, back to Hong Kong & Guangdong for 8 Nights for work related crap & then 5 nights in the Philippines on the way home. Staying in Cebu & heading over to Leyte for a night for an engagement party.

Any advise for Beijing & the Philippines? I havent been to either before. Beijing we are staying about a block away from The Forbidden City, so that should be pretty easy to check out. Will most likely book a guided tour to see The Great Wall, but not sure what else to tie in with it. Apparently the hotel is also close to the Wangfujing Night Market, so will definitely sus that out as well.

Try the Lechon, halo-halo, longanisa and the sweets.

If your in a marketplace, always haggle, you might pick up a good bargain.

Always watch out for beggars, especially the street kids and watch your wallet and keep your passport safe and secure.

soc123_au

Staff member
Try the Lechon, halo-halo, longanisa and the sweets.

If your in a marketplace, always haggle, you might pick up a good bargain.

Always watch out for beggars, especially the street kids and watch your wallet and keep your passport safe and secure.

Lechon is the whole roast pig? From what I am led to believe it usually gets a run at any special occasions? I am hoping there will be one to hook into at the engagement party we will be attending.

Pugzley

Lechon is the whole roast pig? From what I am led to believe it usually gets a run at any special occasions? I am hoping there will be one to hook into at the engagement party we will be attending.

Yes. That's filipino style roast pork/pig.

lechon-kawali.jpg

Pugzley

Also, don't get freaked out by all the security guards with shotguns walking around the malls. We have a terrible time with maoist and islamic seperatists.

Pugzley

And be prepared to sleep in since the shops open late in the morning, around 10 and close late at night.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Thinking of paying a hit and run visit to China at the end of this session if I can save up the money and/or enlist some partners on the ground to comp me some tours or accommodation. Hoping to do a few days in Beijing (never made it there when I lived in China) and then catch up with old friends in Nanjing.

Then I'm off to Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, and possibly Abu Dhabi as part of orientation with my new work. Thinking I'll go external at uni and drop to a part-time load so I don't have to worry too much about rushing back.

It was stupid of me to go into full-time study when the site has been making decent money and bringing in press trips more regularly >_<