What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Quick, let's have a meeting with David Gyngell to discuss expansion! Let's leave it to the clubs to decide when we expand :lol:

You guys are space cadets.

El Diablo

Post Whore
But but but but we (may be) expanding in the 3rd year of the deal, isn't that good enough?!

Everyone here is to f**king stupid to understand the benefits, Perth Red.

FMD

did either of you dribblers see the ratings the GC AFL team got on Saturday that was exclusive to FTA?

they would have had to give away ads the figure was so low

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/06/week-25-4.html
23 Saturday Afternoon AFL Ten 280,000 45,000 97,000 41,000 44,000 54,000

it was Pay TV that boosted the AFL's dollars and it had nothing to do with expansion. it was because they now get ALL games live as opposed to four and they are trying to get more subscribers in Vic, WA and SA

FTA didn't pay a cent more and advertisers have warned them http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...ll-over-the-odds/story-e6frg99o-1226044202555

So at Maxus, we will trade hard with whoever wins the rights, as they will need some money to pay for it, but we put the broadcasters on notice -- we won't be paying an increase.

Last edited:

bluesbreaker

Bench
Are you seriously quoting an article written before the details of the rights were released for your argument? That's geniused, even by your lofty 103 year old standards.

Obviously AFLs terrible ratings in Brisbane and Sydney has nothing to do with them getting any extra money, otherwise they, you know, wouldn't have got any extra money.

Haven't we heard Foxtel come out and say that the last time around when they paid more for AFL then Rugby League?

Answer the question El Diablo. Where has our game improved since the last tv deal that will get us to a billion? Don't say memberships or crowds, because that means f**k all to a tv network. We're still in exactly the same position. The game still pulls huge numbers in NSW and QLD. Origin is still the biggest FTA drawcard each year. What has changed?

Raiderdave

First Grade
probably the same insiders that were saying the AFL wouldn't get $1 billion

this

the same " industry" insiders :roll:.... claimed the AFL would not get their billion

they got 25% above this mark :shock:

as David Leckie said
" it was a bar room brawl everyday for a year "
the NRL has to put their dooks up too .. & go toe to toe with broadcasters til we get what we are worth .. no falling for bluffs .. the ping pong boys didn't .. we shouldn't either

the NRL has to also get a minimum 25% above 800 million .. or all hell should break loose :x

Sleep

Juniors
I'm probably in the minority but I'd like to see it split across 7, 9 & 10. Sunday afternoon's game needs to be aired live.

I'd probably prefer to see 10 get most of the rights though. Their coverage of the AFL on One is far better than any of the NRL on Nine.

Either way, more games need to be FTA.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Are you seriously quoting an article written before the details of the rights were released for your argument? That's geniused, even by your lofty 103 year old standards.

Obviously AFLs terrible ratings in Brisbane and Sydney has nothing to do with them getting any extra money, otherwise they, you know, wouldn't have got any extra money.

Haven't we heard Foxtel come out and say that the last time around when they paid more for AFL then Rugby League?

Answer the question El Diablo. Where has our game improved since the last tv deal that will get us to a billion? Don't say memberships or crowds, because that means f**k all to a tv network. We're still in exactly the same position. The game still pulls huge numbers in NSW and QLD. Origin is still the biggest FTA drawcard each year. What has changed?

we certainly haven't gone backward .. unlike the AFL
they've had ratings drops of around 30% in the last 5 years
yet they improved their deal by 60%

now if we're basing an increase of this magnitude on our present deal we'd get 800 mill

but we were dudded in our last deal , & anyone who thinks we weren't is a peanut
1 billion ..... not a cent less !!:?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

I don't know, how about the Gold Coast Titans bedded in, Monday Night Footy, Toyota Cup, 4 Nations Test matches and a successful WC in between.

magpie_man

Juniors
With a 4th qld team in the competition, i reckon the nrl could scrap the second game on Friday nights and just go back to having the one blockbuster.
ditto with saturdays; just have the one 7:30pm blockbuster.
they could have 6 games on the Sunday, one on delay on fta at 4pm to lead into the news and the rest on fox sports. Fox could do "viewer's choice", similar to the epl, at 3pm with a choice of 4 games and then a live twilight game after (wa reds home games).
So:
Friday - 1 game (fta)
Saturday - 1 game (fta)
Sunday - 6 games (1 fta, 5 foxtel)
Monday - 1 game (fta)

It would boost the attendance average to over 20k per season IMO as well as being very attractive to all the tv networks.

babyg

Juniors
Great news on the FTA front. Just need to get those Fox bastards paying up now. Have to offer them every game live plus they'll have to fight for exclusive Monday or Saturday coverage with FTA.

El Diablo

Post Whore

so you are saying the advertisers will pay more despite the fact AFL ratings are down?

as for your last geniused question it has been well documented that NRL ratings have increased both on FTA and Pay TV.

Add to that we were dudded by FTA last time and the NRL did not allow a bidding war despite 7 warning them

so now we have all 3 networks indicating genuine interest and you're getting worked up over some nameless analyst and that we're not stupidly rushing expansion because the IC has been delayed lol

Last edited:

bluesbreaker

Bench
Oh my god.

No El-Diablo, you f**king moron. I'll take it nice and slow for you old timer.

What i'm saying is an article posted quoting some marketing firm SPECULATING that the AFL IS NOT WORTH 1 BILLION DOLLARS means absolutely nothing when, 4 DAYS AFTER THE ARTICLE IS WRITTEN, the AFL announce they got EXCESS of 1 billion dollars.

I could write an article saying 'The NRL is worth 65 Billion dollars', but if we don't get said 65 billion dollars, what does it mean? Nothing. Means diddly squat. Just another clown SPECULATING.

Do you understand now? Would you like me to clap out the syllables? You must be deadset the stupidest person alive.

As for the rest of it, we'll see. All the networks were interested last time too, pity they didn't get a chance to bid.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Oh my god.

No El-Diablo, you f**king moron. I'll take it nice and slow for you old timer.

What i'm saying is an article posted quoting some marketing firm SPECULATING that the AFL IS NOT WORTH 1 BILLION DOLLARS means absolutely nothing when, 4 DAYS AFTER THE ARTICLE IS WRITTEN, the AFL announce they got EXCESS of 1 billion dollars.

I could write an article saying 'The NRL is worth 65 Billion dollars', but if we don't get said 65 billion dollars, what does it mean? Nothing. Means diddly squat. Just another clown SPECULATING.

Do you understand now? Would you like me to clap out the syllables? You must be deadset the stupidest person alive.

As for the rest of it, we'll see. All the networks were interested last time too, pity they didn't get a chance to bid.

you didn't read it properly

f**king imbecile

advertisers said they would not pay a cent more

FTA did not pay a cent more

Pay TV is where the AFL got the extra money and i have already posted as to why. Now Pay TV also want all NRL games too

thick as two bricks

bluesbreaker

Bench
And i'll cop successful world cup, because it made money. Well played.

The NYC rights were negotiated seperate, so have absolutely nothing to do with the NRL rights. Unless they get bundled together, which would be god damn stupid.

The Titans aren't really going all that good. Granted the novelty hasn't worn off the GC Suns yet, so we can't compare them and get an accurate picture just yet.

One thing is for sure though, the AFL will gift them a team to win the title within the next few years, because that's what they do with expansion teams. They will artificially prop them up to build a fanbase and watch it dwindle when the concessions are removed, just like what happened with the Swans and the Lions.

Anything less than 1 billion is unacceptable.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Does it matter where the money comes from? They still got their billion.

yes

because we were massively dudded by FTA last time and had no bidding war like the AFL did

so expect a bigger FTA deal than last time thanks to increased ratings and all 3 networks bidding

the AFL got no FTA increase on their last deal

also expect a bigger deal from Pay if they get all NRL games

don't forget that internet rights are also included in the AFL deal you keep wanking on about

we too will get an increase here and could benefit from the launch of Fetch TV

STOP f**kING FRETTING FFS

M2D2

Bench
bluesbreaker makes me squirm every time he says AFL.
Somebody rode the short bus alot when he was a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts