What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
yeah f**k off the trials, noone cares about them, and move rep footy to after the season, and there you have your 30 round season

Paullyboy

Coach
If we do expand, the 30 week concept immediately becomes redundant as it would no longer allow for a full home and away season. If you aren't going to have a full home and away season there is no point on having the league stretch out to 30 games.

I think the current season length is perfect for fans, the only problem being weekends like this one where there are so many byes. It'd be better to have only 2 teams max having a bye each weekend I think.

Paullyboy

Coach
As for trials, I could be wrong, but there is nothing to stop an NRL club from not playing in them now is there? If so, the whole 'extend the regular season and get rid of trials' argument is invalid as the clubs will just have an unofficial trial if they see a value in it.

Given that most clubs play at least one trial against a QLD Cup or regional type team, I'd imagine that they see a value in having some form of trial.

Coleworld

Juniors
Well it wouldn't be "just as much" cash, if we got a billion dollars we could have a cap of 7-8 million bucks. The players will happily play 6 more games if their pay goes pretty close to doubling.

If the Salary cap is increased it doesn't necessarily mean the low ending players will be doubling their salary, it could just mean marquee players getting bigger salaries in the cap.

The NRL need to shorten the season and more emphasis needs to be put into growing the game and having more Test Matches.

Last edited:
If the Salary cap is increased it doesn't neccersarily mean the low ending players will be doubling their salary, it could just mean marquee players getting bigger salaries in the cap.

The NRL need to shorten the season and more emphasis needs to be put into growing the game and having more Test Matches.

The collective bargaining agreement will see the minimum salary rise if there is an increase in the cap.

clarency

Juniors
People seem quick to can the trials but are forgetting that they are an important marketting chip. Trials are played yearly in the NT and there are talks of beginning trial matches in Tasmania.

docbrown

Coach
If we do expand, the 30 week concept immediately becomes redundant as it would no longer allow for a full home and away season. If you aren't going to have a full home and away season there is no point on having the league stretch out to 30 games.

Indeed. I still think there's value though in giving teams 2 additional byes and extending the season from 26 weeks to 28 weeks, especially as we have no formal pre-season.

It would means there's 2 extra weeks of NRL presence and for the code to capture the sport media market's attention - but at Origin time we can reduce the amount of club games played. I still think stand alone weekends for Origin are a bad idea.

At the moment Origin affects the club exposure for more than 7 weeks. Either you minimise the numbers of club games played in that time or you decrease the length of the overall Origin period.

Goddo

Bench
Indeed. I still think there's value though in giving teams 2 additional byes and extending the season from 26 weeks to 28 weeks, especially as we have no formal pre-season.

It would means there's 2 extra weeks of NRL presence and for the code to capture the sport media market's attention - but at Origin time we can reduce the amount of club games played. I still think stand alone weekends for Origin are a bad idea.

At the moment Origin affects the club exposure for more than 7 weeks. Either you minimise the numbers of club games played in that time or you decrease the length of the overall Origin period.

That is the reasonable solution to the problem - expand, and keep 24 full h & a rounds but spread over 28 weeks (rather than 26 currently), providing more of a break for teams around the rep season.

seanoff

Juniors
a longer season. :crazy:

excellent, lets kill the players. extending the season will take years off the average career.

if they do this, players will leave so that they can play longer in some other comp and earn the same money every year.

E.T.D

Juniors
Would you get a better price for the media rights if the season was put back a month so that the NRL finals took place in October seeing as it is the quietest month on the sporting calendar?

adamkungl

Immortal
If money was no concern the season would be shorter. So many non-event games through the middle of the season.

BDGS

Bench
Great work NRL or is that the IC ideas already coming through?

Some big ones lately, ANZAC test gallipoli, Commonwealth games and now longer season.

P.S i know where the idea came from originally.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
I'd rather see the season the same length or shorter. And with the regular rep games but with some extra test games.

Country/City Origin
State Of Origin
3 game Test Series v Kiwi's or Pom's

But personally, I think we need more internationals. Just like we used to. 3 game series as well. I hate these one off things. It worked 10-20 years ago. Don't see why it cant now.

All this talk of player burn out.

I remember when the above was the norm. Plus we had trials AND a pre-season. Even a 7's tournament for a short time.

Maybe just make the origins/tests stand alone weekends as many suggest.

Pigskin

Juniors
Can somebody point to the ratings on these international games ... this is a league forum, clearly most here are gonna watch the game and be interested in it ... but i question its popularity in the general public's eye

i had it on in the background, muted, don't really give a toss about tests and much prefer club games

secondly, the tests at the end of the year, surely they rate very poorly ... any ratings figures around ?

imo ... international rugby league is a waste of time and resources ... but if the tv networks want to pay a lot for it, sobeit

Oink !

Pigskin

Juniors
I don't understand why this 30 week season is seen as such a big problem on the elite players

increase the size of squads from 25 to say 30 ... and cap the maximum number of games that all players can participate in ... 24 maximum for example

problem solved on the elite players ... bigger squad will cost more, which the tv deal would need to deliver

would be interesting in my view as to who plays in what games, do you keep your star playmaker going in the first half of the season in case he picks up an injury later or do you spread out his "sitting out" games waiting for weaker opponents ... make the coaches earn their money

do you "sit out" all your top players when you play the top team ? get one of their rest days out of the way together and pretty much throw the game, possibly destroying your for and against in the process haha

Oink !

Last edited:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Can somebody point to the ratings on these international games ... this is a league forum, clearly most here are gonna watch the game and be interested in it ... but i question its popularity in the general public's eye

i had it on in the background, muted, don't really give a toss about tests and much prefer club games

secondly, the tests at the end of the year, surely they rate very poorly ... any ratings figures around ?

imo ... international rugby league is a waste of time and resources ... but if the tv networks want to pay a lot for it, sobeit

Oink !

Same game last season rated 1.8 million.

Only games to rate higher are SOO and finals.

If the Kiwis keep improving and the poms or frogs come good one day, the ratings imo will beat SOO.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Status
Not open for further replies.