What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Vanilla Gorilla Thread

Bazal

Post Whore
How good is Daniel Alvaro?

I refuse to be miserable. I called this kid to have a breakout year pre-season and, so far, he is absolutely killing it. While his team mates falter and f**k around, he just keeps giving everything he has and I reckon he's getting better every week.

I saw something interesting earlier tonight. Jake Trbojebrah, Origin forward, vs our Vanilla Gorilla.

Jake T, on average, makes a massive 40 tackles a game, 136m, 14 hit ups, misses 6% of his tackle attempts and breaks 1.08 tackles in 77 mins of footy.

Our VG makes an even more massive 43 tackles a game, 110m, 12 hit ups, misses 3% of his tackle attempts and breaks 1.15 tackles in 48 mins of footy in the last placed side in the game.

One is a 24 year old Australian and Origin player with 83 FG games that some folks drool over and wish we had on the books, the other is a 25 year old with 62 games of FG who cops shit from clueless deathriders. But you know what? Alvaro holds his own against the fancied champ. This dude is far and away the best prop we've produced in a very long time and it's about time people started giving him the respect he deserves, goddammit! You can do that in this magnificent thread.

We love you, Vanilla Gorilla. Please sign a five year deal.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Agree Baz I have been saying it for over 12 months he’s easily our best prop.

Jake has ball playing in his armoury as well though but Alvaro is paying in a pack full of bludgers.

Vanilla for the leadership group as well.

Bandwagon

Staff member
What the stats don't tell you about Alvaro is the number of back to back tackles the guy makes in a set.

Not uncommon for it to be three, four or even five involvements per set in defence.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
a086d694-ec07-4da5-bdc8-bd35c091695e.jpg

hindy111

Post Whore
I've been saying for a while now that this guy needs to develop and offload to take his game to a new level and give the defense something to think about. The fact we have been belted it seems BA has let players push a few more offloads .This has made a huge difference in his game. He is never going to be a power runner so an offload and short pass along with high energy is how he can be elite. Prior to thst he was getting belted too often.

Mr 85% does it again.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Polar and Brown are our two best middle forwards

who needs big boppers

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I've been saying for a while now that this guy needs to develop and offload to take his game to a new level and give the defense something to think about. The fact we have been belted it seems BA has let players push a few more offloads .This has made a huge difference in his game. He is never going to be a power runner so an offload and short pass along with high energy is how he can be elite. Prior to thst he was getting belted too often.

Mr 85% does it again.
I was saying it well before you were.

TheParraboy

Staff member
What the stats don't tell you about Alvaro is the number of back to back tackles the guy makes in a set.

Not uncommon for it to be three, four or even five involvements per set in defence.

Ive watched him in defence closely, when he is not making tackles he seems to be alert and making effort to cover a potential missed tackle. I cant ever recall him being penalised for offside either. I think his attack will get better , its already high quality for a prop

With Mannah back soon (our best middle third defender), Brown some fitness under his belt, we might cause some serious upsets, (if our kicking game and completions improves as well)

eel01s

Bench
Alvaro has improved year on year, how many other Eels can you say have done the same?

He will be a great prop.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
He was given time to develop in NSW cup/ISP, spent about a year and a half there and came up as a well-rounded player, luckily at the time there wasn't uncessary pressure from media and fans alike to promote him early which could have hindered his development. Will never get the plaudits he deserves in the media but won't ever let us down in attack or defence. Good player, great attitude, great ambassador for the club.

Danny should be a great example why players need time in reserve grade to work on their game.

strider

Post Whore
He was given time to develop in NSW cup/ISP, spent about a year and a half there and came up as a well-rounded player, luckily at the time there wasn't uncessary pressure from media and fans alike to promote him early which could have hindered his development. Will never get the plaudits he deserves in the media but won't ever let us down in attack or defence. Good player, great attitude, great ambassador for the club.

Danny should be a great example why players need time in reserve grade to work on their game.
Absolutely!

hindy111

Post Whore
One of the few feel good stories this year.

And young jennings been a nice story too. Outplaying big expensive brother every week.

T.S Quint

Coach
f**ken YES!
Love this thread!

Love the Vanilla Gorilla!
The Albino Rhino!
The Bleached Leech!
The Pearly Burly!

T.S Quint

Coach

Mr 85% does it again.

You really think BA was not letting them throw offloads?

"Now listen up you shitheads! If I see any of you pricks throwing any offloads out there today, you'll be riding the bench for Wenty next week! Do ya hear me ya f**ken softcock loosers!"

It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.