What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The WC Qualifiers urgently need better treatment by the IRL

adamkungl

Immortal
Ireland slams shambolic Spain trip
https://www.totalrl.com/ireland-stars-disgust-at-shambolic-and-dangerous-spain-trip/

The IRL needs to work with, and provide funding to hosting nations to ensure these matches are of a minimum professional standard and presentation.
It's ridiculous that this has gone on for yet another World Cup cycle.
How are teams like Spain meant to front up for a World Cup, not this time around but potentially on the other side of the world, if they can't even organise proper facilities and transport for a one off game?

This kind of shit is really damaging for the international game.
1. It puts off professional players from representing their nation.
World Cup-level and aspiring nations need to be putting together a professional environment. If only for a few weeks. Look at France for what happens if you continually fail to do so. Players whose living depends on playing professionally will not keep showing up for sub par internationals.
Yes it's expensive, and that's where IRL needs to step in.

2. It's a bad look for the game and puts fans off from taking an interest.
These games are attached to the "WORLD CUP" ip and should be treated as such. To have World Cup Qualifiers carried out in such a sloppy manner, it reflects poorly on the World Cup itself.
Play at a shitty park, get a park crowd.
Scotland game didn't have a stream or seemingly any video even afterwards.

Any game where a World Cup position is up for grabs should be given the budget for a professional presentation and facilities. The sport suffers to have such an important match delivered at a standard which is worse than most Sydney childrens park teams.

Dakink

Bench
Anyone watch any of the game? I'm going to try find it. Would be interested to see the other side of the story. Disgusting if true but will remain neutral till confirmed.

siv

First Grade
I think regular Euro qualifiers can occur home away

But when you arrive at the Euro repo charge stage it might be better to play these games centrally

Dakink

Bench
Sounds like a "not our problem" response from RLEF
Does doesn't it? They should very much be highly involved in preparations, even if just to oversee so that events are run and presented professionally.

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
I don’t see what transport, food (except after match requirements) and hotels for the away team has to do with the home team. Wigan don’t expect Leeds to organise the coach across the Pennines and why should they. I’m sure some of the issues raised are genuine but some are just whinging for whinging’s sake.