What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Winning Way

Tim.butler

Juniors
I don’t know about others but gee I yearn for the days when I felt confident we had a good chance of winning our games. Those days seem way in the distant past. This got me thinking about how do we get that winning feeling back again.

There’s been plenty of discussion on this forum about our Dragons regaining their winning way.

Rightly so, many of the items on the forum reference our poor culture which has been a growing anchor around our neck for over a decade now.

I listened to this weeks podcast episode of “SixTackles with Gus” which had a great segment about Gus’s philosophy for building that winning way culture.

Not surprisingly he references some great people management techniques that he has used and Craig Bellamy uses day in day out.

It’s exactly what the Dragons need.

Have a listen, it was an interesting insight on where the Dragons need to be heading.

Maybe someone with more technical prowess may be able to provide a link to this podcast. It’s titled “Round 20 - What separates Bellamy from the rest” and dated 28 July 2021.

A few forum members also questioned whether Hook is devolving himself of the responsibility for our defence and attack by leaving that to the assistant coaches. Gould discusses this specific issue and how the likes of Bellamy sets the ground rules and specific tactics and then employs assistant coaches and support staff to impart these rules and tactics to the players.

This allows the coach to allocate adequate time to develop the teams strategies, rules and tactics and to actively support the players and their families.

I also heard an interview this week with Josh Addo Car where he commented that Bellamy is like a father figure to him providing technical know how and emotional support.

I take heart that Hook has set up a similar structure at the Dragons (Head Coach supported by key Assistant Coaches) and acknowledge that it may take a little time to see the benefits of those changes. What is a reasonable timeframe remains a vexing question and no doubt there are many different expectations on that front.

For me, I would expect to see significant change within two years. What are others expectations?

I’m desperate for the time I can again sit down to watch my beloved Dragons and feel confident we have a good chance of winning. I’ll never stop hoping for these times to return and feel confident the young local juniors will provide the much needed spark to the side need, once they have adequate first grade games under their belt.

We’re an enduring lot us Dragons supporters so I’m hoping we are coping OK with the Covid lockdowns.

Take care all.

Dragon David

First Grade
I don’t know about others but gee I yearn for the days when I felt confident we had a good chance of winning our games. Those days seem way in the distant past. This got me thinking about how do we get that winning feeling back again.

There’s been plenty of discussion on this forum about our Dragons regaining their winning way.

Rightly so, many of the items on the forum reference our poor culture which has been a growing anchor around our neck for over a decade now.

I listened to this weeks podcast episode of “SixTackles with Gus” which had a great segment about Gus’s philosophy for building that winning way culture.

Not surprisingly he references some great people management techniques that he has used and Craig Bellamy uses day in day out.

Have a listen, it was an interesting insight on where the Dragons need to be heading.

Maybe someone with more technical prowess may be able to provide a link to this podcast. It’s titled “Round 20 - What separates Bellamy from the rest” and dated 28 July 2021.

A few forum members also questioned whether Hook is devolving himself of the responsibility for our defence and attack by leaving that to the assistant coaches. Gould discusses this specific issue and how the likes of Bellamy sets the ground rules and specific tactics and then employs assistant coaches and support staff to impart these rules and tactics to the players.

This allows the coach to allocate adequate time to develop the teams strategies, rules and tactics and to actively support the players and their families.

I also heard an interview this week with Josh Addo Car where he commented that Bellamy is like a father figure to him providing technical know how and emotional support.

I take heart that Hook has set up a similar structure at the Dragons (Head Coach supported by key Assistant Coaches) and acknowledge that it may take a little time to see the benefits of those changes. What is a reasonable timeframe remains a vexing question and no doubt there are many different expectations on that front.

For me, I would expect to see significant change within two years. What are others expectations?

I’m desperate for the time I can again sit down to watch my beloved Dragons and feel confident we have a good chance of winning. I’ll never stop hoping for these times to return and feel confident the young local juniors will provide the much needed spark to the side need, once they have adequate first grade games under their belt.

We’re an enduring lot us Dragons supporters so I’m hoping we are coping OK with the Covid lockdowns.

Take care all.
As the saying goes, "how long is a piece of string?". As you know Tim, us Dragons fans have endured many years of anguish, frustration, disappointment, jealousy, pain, tears, some highs and plenty of lows.

Confidence in our teams winning over the years since 2011 has been low in my opinion and if Griffin can achieve some semblance of achieving what you say he is working on based on the Bellamy formula, then hopefully it will come to fruition and we might be able to sit back and watch our games knowing that we will win. That feeling must be so unreal for the Storm, Panthers and Roosters fans.

Covid is a pain in the backside for the whole world. My son's partner is from France and she is soooo homesick. I'm hoping that the majority of the people in the world has their vaccinations and continue to have vaccinations until a cure is obtained. We have GOT to take control of this as soon as possible.

BLM01

First Grade

Take care all.
To be fair we don’t know if Hook is operating similar to Bellamy, obviously ATM not as affective
One fringe player just said it like and would only see who is giving out those instructions
No half decent coach would not have any input on how they’re attacking and defensive structures should operate snd Kay ground rules maybe except Mary
These days they need people to run the sessions for them

Tim.butler

Juniors
As the saying goes, "how long is a piece of string?". As you know Tim, us Dragons fans have endured many years of anguish, frustration, disappointment, jealousy, pain, tears, some highs and plenty of lows.

Confidence in our teams winning over the years since 2011 has been low in my opinion and if Griffin can achieve some semblance of achieving what you say he is working on based on the Bellamy formula, then hopefully it will come to fruition and we might be able to sit back and watch our games knowing that we will win. That feeling must be so unreal for the Storm, Panthers and Roosters fans.

Covid is a pain in the backside for the whole world. My son's partner is from France and she is soooo homesick. I'm hoping that the majority of the people in the world has their vaccinations and continue to have vaccinations until a cure is obtained. We have GOT to take control of this as soon as possible.
Agree DD, it must be a great feeling being a Storm or Roosters supporter being so consistently successful over a long period of time. I now have a healthy appreciation how helpless other teams must have felt during the Dragons golden 11 year run. Yikes.
What your son and his partner are going thru are a good reminder that whilst our lockdown is a significant pain in the rear end, there are others doing it even tougher. I’m lucky to have family nearby for support.

Tim.butler

Juniors
Yep BLM01, it would great to know more about how the Hook philosophy is actually meant to work. Wouldn’t be great if our CEO put some info out on that.

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree DD, it must be a great feeling being a Storm or Roosters supporter being so consistently successful over a long period of time. I now have a healthy appreciation how helpless other teams must have felt during the Dragons golden 11 year run. Yikes.
What your son and his partner are going thru are a good reminder that whilst our lockdown is a significant pain in the rear end, there are others doing it even tougher. I’m lucky to have family nearby for support.
Good on you Tim and all the best.

The best is yet to come to the Dragons and one day we will dominate again. Keep patient the trust.

Trifili13

Juniors
I would say in most team sports the coaching structure is relatively similar in that there is a head coach with specific defence and attack coaches. The head coach would impart his preferred playing style and the assistants would have some input into the ideas and help to execute the plan. It then comes down to the quality of players and ideas of the coaches whether you are successful or not. Like a good CEO, you surround yourself with good people, you can't do it all by yourself.

Dragon David

First Grade
I would say in most team sports the coaching structure is relatively similar in that there is a head coach with specific defence and attack coaches. The head coach would impart his preferred playing style and the assistants would have some input into the ideas and help to execute the plan. It then comes down to the quality of players and ideas of the coaches whether you are successful or not. Like a good CEO, you surround yourself with good people, you can't do it all by yourself.
Just like a player cannot do it all by himself. It is a team sport and each player has got to put in 100% effort for each other.