What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The World Cup Thread

Misanthrope

Staff member
And what is the Gman?

Something about his mother being a prostitute, wasn't it? Matarazzi has a reputation for saying things like "I hope your children die", pinching nipples, and rubbing his crotch against people in corner situations. He's a dirty sack of sh*t and I hope it hurt like hell.

I've heard a few rumours... one was that he called Zidane a terrorist (a dig at his Algerian heritage), another that he said he was not French and therefore had no right playing for France, and another that he called his sister a prostitute.

IanG

Coach
Yeah basically something to that affect. "Filthy Terrorist" was what was mentioned on SBS last night.

MrCharisma

Bench
A few more on Zidane

zidane14.gif

zidane26.gif

zidane29.gif

zidane25.gif

RABK

Referee
FOOTBALL Federation Australia chief executive John O'Neill will send a "please explain" to the game's world governing body after Australia was dudded in the latest FIFA world rankings released last night.

The Socceroos reached the second round of the World Cup but rose only nine places to No.33, reinforcing concerns that emerging nations are disadvantaged by entrenched football politics.

The Socceroos are rated lower than Guinea, who climbed 27 spots to 24 despite missing the World Cup.

They are also behind seven nations who failed to make it out of the group stage in Germany.

"Certainly we will be asking for some further information from FIFA on what the formula is that is driving that outcome," O'Neill said.

O'Neill was scratching his head trying to understand the Socceroos' position after the side's recent achievements.

"We had a very, very tough qualifying road to the World Cup - perhaps the toughest in the world," O'Neill said.

"After climbing that mountain, we were put into the pool of death.

"Along the way (Australia) beat the European champion and drew with the Netherlands, who were ranked three in the world at that time. To climb just nine spots is puzzling."
O'Neill said there were several independent sources, including The Times in London, that rated Australia as the great over achiever of the World Cup.

"To rise just nine spots appears not to be a true representation of what the team has accomplished over the past six months," O'Neill said.

In other bizarre elements of the rankings:

BRAZIL remains No.1 ahead of Italy despite losing in the World Cup quarter-finals;

NIGERIA and Cameroon, at No.11 and No.12, are ranked ahead of every African nation that qualified for the World Cup;

URUGUAY climbed eight spots to No.14 - ahead of World Cup finalists Ukraine (15), the US (16), Mexico (18), Paraguay (19) Ivory Coast (20), Sweden (22) and Croatia (23);

ASIAN heavyweights Japan (49) and Korea (56) crashed in the rankings, dropping 31 and 27 places respectively;

TRINIDAD and Tobago made the World Cup, but dropped 17 places to 64.
The rise of Uruguay, beaten by the Socceroos in a World Cup play-off, and Nigeria, which didn't qualify but held its position at No.11, caught O'Neill's eye.

"And you have to feel for Japan and Korea, our colleagues in the Asian Football Confederation who both played in the World Cup," he said.

"You would think they get some credit for being somewhere in the 30s.

"All might be revealed if you were able to get a better understanding of what was driving these changes."

As for the conspiracy theories, O'Neill said there was formula that weighted particular fixtures and confederations differently to others.

The Fifa Rankings are a joke, everyone knows that, but comments like we had the toughest qualifying road and we were in the pool of death make FFA look geniused.

Misanthrope

Staff member
ELO is by far the superior ratings system. We're 19th in that, and I think that's about right.

aqua_duck

Coach
What zidane did was inexcusable, materazzi might have made a meal of it but doesn't hide the fact zidane headbutted him in a WC final, if you can't handle abit of sledging then how mentally tough are you really?

Misanthrope

Staff member
What is ELO?

It's a ratings system originally used in Chess. It better takes into account quality of opposition - preventing sides like the USA from leaping up the rankings (like they did in FIFA's rankings) by playing against minnows like Trinidad & Tobago and Honduras.

This system, developed by Hungarian mathematician Dr. Árpád Élő, is used by FIDE, the international chess federation, to rate chess players. In 1997 Bob Runyan adapted the Elo rating system to international football and posted the results on the Internet. He was also the first maintainer of the World Football Elo Ratings web site.

Their website is:
http://www.eloratings.net/

Misanthrope

Staff member
Well, rather than start a new one from scratch, here's the Knights World Cup discussion thread. I know I'm not the only one excited about this, even though I don't much fancy our chances.

That said, Tim Cahill and Mark Schwarzer are in career best form. Should make for some exciting late nights :lol:

sthginke

Juniors
I think it's good australia has a tough group. They tend to step up and surprise teams that they're expected to loose to. That being said they'll probably loose playing defensive football and fail to score a single goal

B-dos

Referee
we have an extremely tough group and qualification will be a huge achievement

however that said we are certainly a chance if things go our way

a fully fit kewell will be a good start however im not so sure about the rumours of playing him as a lone striker. problem is with McDonald struggling in front of goal for Australia and Kennedy far better as a supersub we are really lacking options in this dept.

Latest posts