What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Theres the truth...and then there is Paul Kent.

Brycey

Juniors
Freddy jumping at shadows?
By Paul Kent
September 10, 2008 THE Captains Call was notable for his absence. No Craig Fitzgibbon.

The Sydney Rooster remains a leader, if not a captain. When Fitzy was sacked a fortnight ago it came so suddenly that some players found out only when they turned up for the game.

Fitzgibbon won't detail his hurt.

He has refused all approaches to be drawn into it.

Coach Brad Fittler explained afterward he wanted to put more responsibility on his halves Braith Anasta and Mitchell Pearce.

He wanted Fitzgibbon to concentrate more on his own game, while acknowledging the hurt.

It was all as simple as that.

Or was it?

Fittler has the toughest job in rugby league. At Monday's Captains Call, host Andrew Voss raised the magnificent job Fittler has done.

In his first full season he has guided the Roosters into the top four.

It was a statement that led to a question to new captain Anasta who, in a small irony, confirmed the whispers that have filled rugby league since Fitzgibbon's sacking.

"When he lost three in a row he looked like he felt the pinch a bit, and the players got that off him as well," Anasta said.

"But we've won the last two weeks."

Everybody noted Fittler's change in mood during the Roosters' consecutive losses to Parramatta, Melbourne and Cronulla.

Free-wheeling Freddy was gone as he suffered three in a row for the first time in his career.

The most glaring change in behaviour was Fittler's demand for early-morning training sessions.

Some saw this as a sign of panic.

The players grew concerned.

How much pressure Fittler was under at that point is not certain. And not just self-imposed pressure, but how much pressure externally?

Concerned about the changes, Fitzgibbon, as captain, approached Fittler on behalf of his players.

Fittler did not take it well.

The next day, Fitzgibbon and Anasta were called in by Fittler who, there in front of both men, told Fitzgibbon he was no longer captain and Anasta he was.

Fitzgibbon's class prevailed and he took the decision with no argument in front of Anasta.

The following weekend, the Roosters beat Souths but were unconvincing, and when the players all boarded a bus to watch Anthony Minichiello play for Newtown, among them was Phil Gould.

Gould berated the players. It was an old-fashioned rev-up. He does this from time to time, not always after an invitation. He once walked into a Ricky Stuart session and asked to speak to the players. Stuart said OK, then Gould let rip.

He told Fitzgibbon he was no longer captain and appointed Luke Ricketson.

Once he left, Stuart told the players to ignore all of it, told Fitzgibbon he was still captain, and there went another fracture in that relationship. Stuart and Gould never recovered.

Anyway, after the Newtown game, Minichiello approached Fittler and reinforced the fears Fitzgibbon raised before he was sacked.

This time Fittler called his assistants in for an honesty session.

It was honest, all right.

Fittler took it all on board, gave his assistants the afternoon off, told his players to train themselves and went home himself. Since then it has all turned around. That is good coaching.

But is it merely a co-incidence the shadow of Gould still looms over this?

Not Graham Murray, Stuart or Chris Anderson will say Gould's presence or influence enhanced their own stints at the club. Does Fittler need this interference as well?

Gould has long been a confidante of Roosters chairman Nick Politis. He values his knowledge. But at what cost?

Since Gould resigned, but never really left, in 1999, every successor's tenure has ended the same way, rotting from the inside out.

Gould has acknowledged his mentor role with Fittler, but what part he played in Fittler's recent decisions is unknown.

But it is accepted he often buts in, uninvited. What role has this played in Fittler's recent confusion?

This is a question Roosters officials have to address.

Fittler should be given the chance to succeed or fail on his own merit.

They gave him the job. Nobody else
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24320987-23214,00.html

Sydney Roosters captains this decade:
2000-2004 Brad Fittler *retired 2004
2005-2006 Luke Ricketson *retired 2006
2007-2008 Craig Fitzgibbon

Can someone please explain to me how Fitzgibbon was stripped of a captaincy he never had in 2005-2006 or how Luke Ricketson secretly played in 2007-2008.

RSK

Juniors
Paul Kent is a f**king idiot. Also, i didn't read that article but i really don't need to.

mongoose

Coach
isn't paul kent one of ricky stuarts buddies? i think they are just having a dig at Gould.

adamkungl

Immortal
What a deadsh*t... and yet again, a not so subtle pathetic dig at Gould from the telehack.

Regardless of Kent's utter incompetence, I hope there was nothing sinister (as he seemed to paint it) in Fitzy's loss of the captaincy.

OVP

Coach
Fitzgibbon won't detail his hurt.

He has refused all approaches to be drawn into it.

But that doesnt stop Kent making up his own story. What a nuffie :lol:

Patorick

Staff member
He can be good at times, but like all Telegraph scribes you have to take everything he writes with a massive grain of salt.

None of them can write anything objective about Phil Gould.

It's a shame really and very childish of them.

Trouble

Juniors
I thought it was a good article. Gould dishes plenty out and what goes around comes around I say. You just have to look at his agenda with Stuart and the crap he writes at every opportunity. I also noticed chanel 9 don't let him near many chooks games anymore!

adamkungl

Immortal
I thought it was a good article. Gould dishes plenty out and what goes around comes around I say. You just have to look at his agenda with Stuart and the crap he writes at every opportunity. I also noticed chanel 9 don't let him near many chooks games anymore!

Yeah. I thought it was a good article too, except for the blatant lies, obvious bias, and poor attempts at a conspiracy theory.

Trouble

Juniors
Yeah. I thought it was a good article too, except for the blatant lies, obvious bias, and poor attempts at a conspiracy theory.

Like Goulds articles about Ricky?

Ricky also has a page to write articles. How many times has he mentiond Gould or the Roosters. Now inverse that question with Gould and Cronulla. Like his latest piece of crap about "Wrestling" that was directly aimed at the Sharks. Funny thing is HE was the actual cause of all this wrestling we have now.

Back in 2002 he spotted that Cronulla were submitting in tackles to get a quick play the ball. They then changed the rules, mid season mind you not at the end of the year, and started to call "Dominent" and "Surrender"... The coaches then exploited that by bringing in more wrestling. So, it's his bed he's made, sleep in it!!;-)

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Like Goulds articles about Ricky?

Ricky also has a page to write articles. How many times has he mentiond Gould or the Roosters. Now inverse that question with Gould and Cronulla. Like his latest piece of crap about "Wrestling" that was directly aimed at the Sharks. Funny thing is HE was the actual cause of all this wrestling we have now.

Back in 2002 he spotted that Cronulla were submitting in tackles to get a quick play the ball. They then changed the rules, mid season mind you not at the end of the year, and started to call "Dominent" and "Surrender"... The coaches then exploited that by bringing in more wrestling. So, it's his bed he's made, sleep in it!!;-)

So, any time I criticise a sh*te article from the Tele, "But what about Gould" is a valid retort? Rubbish. Gould's bias' and whether or not he is as childish and petulant as these morons are irrelevant to this article. But, just for you princess, I'll pretend it somehow is. Fitzgibbon was still never never captain while Ricko was at the club. The rest is still pure speculation.

DJShaksta

First Grade
isn't paul kent one of ricky stuarts buddies? i think they are just having a dig at Gould.

I doubt that very much, after some of the articles written by Kent this year attacking Sharks players I don't think Ricky will be sending him a Christmas card.

Tunguska

Juniors
Weidles reported a couple of weeks back that News Ltd. were going easy on Bird (hardly) because of Ricky's mates at the tele.

Trouble

Juniors
So, any time I criticise a sh*te article from the Tele, "But what about Gould" is a valid retort? Rubbish. Gould's bias' and whether or not he is as childish and petulant as these morons are irrelevant to this article. But, just for you princess, I'll pretend it somehow is. Fitzgibbon was still never never captain while Ricko was at the club. The rest is still pure speculation.

I gather you don't read your own dribble...

This is what you said, dipsh!t...

adamkungl said:
What a deadsh*t... and yet again, a not so subtle pathetic dig at Gould from the telehack.

You also didn't mention about Fitzy not being captain at the time nor did it seem that that's what you were posting about. It seems to me you were having a sooky la la about someone having a shot at one of the most pathetic and biased commentators/journo's around...

Read you own garbage first before you have a shot at me, sh*t for brains!

adamkungl

Immortal

You also didn't mention about Fitzy not being captain at the time nor did it seem that that's what you were posting about. It seems to me you were having a sooky la la about someone having a shot at one of the most pathetic and biased commentators/journo's around...

The first time you quoted me was this:

"Blatant lies" was in reference to the captaincy thing, it was bolded in the article ff, what else would i be talking about. And regardless of whether Gould is pathetic and biased (he probably is, I really don't care), it is just as poor, if not worse journalism to constantly attack him in articles. I want to read news, not conspiracy theories and constant references to Gould. Its boring and immature, and comes from every writer in the Tele, starting at the top with Rothfield, who is (surprise) a dirty claw footed swamp scum supporter.

Paul Kent is a wank and gets his info from bec and buzz.

When selected in origin and anasta given the captaincy fitzy approached freddy to leave anasta with the captaincy in the best interests for the clubs future, at the time fitzy was an 80 min man.

Fitzy comes back busted and battered from origin can no longer find 80 mins in his legs and the coach heeds fitzys wish.

The timing wasnt great just before kick off of a game but the reasoning for it was correct.

everyone knows who is the leader on the field and the young blokes and fans look uptoo, its Fitzy.

Paul merkin(sorry typo) has no idea.

Fair dinkum ricko taken the captaincy off fitzy wtf, has this bloke seriously got a clue??????

Kent is filthy at the roosters, when ricky was there kent was as regular as the dogs at wenty park at training, they are mates, bec is even better friends with ricky.

Just another ploy to try and destabilise a team that in many peoples eyes have no chance.

Its this hate and bias that the chooks thrive on.

You really have to read his dribble a couple of times before you realise its a shot at gould, the referance to the roosters has no standing in this article.

merkin(sorry typo again) needs to wake up to himself.

Gould was the right hand man of piggins in saving his beloved rabbitohs, he should be licking goulds balls instead of trying to crunch them

OVP

Coach

So who are you Trouble ? Bourbon Beccy or Bourbon Phil ? Time for another Breath Test methinks ... i'll send the boys in blue around to Surry Hills just to be on the safe side huh ... wouldnt want you putting an innocent person in danger again, would we ?

Trouble

Juniors
So who are you Trouble ? Bourbon Beccy or Bourbon Phil ? Time for another Breath Test methinks ... i'll send the boys in blue around to Surry Hills just to be on the safe side huh ... wouldnt want you putting an innocent person in danger again, would we ?

asshole.jpg

Latest posts