What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things to do in Thailand

Utey

Coach
Spending 7 days in Phuket and 3 days in Bangkok. What are the must do things to do and see?

ATM, I have the following things locked in:

- Tiger Temple
- Elephant ride & tour
- Ping Pong show
- Muay Thai

Any other suggestions?

Phuket-

Phi Phi Islands tour is an absolute must.
Phantasea is an ok way to spend a night
Big Buddha

Bangkok
Shopping (MBK is a must imo) China town or the night markets are good as well
JEATH Museum and Bridge on the river Kwai (you can do this in the same day as Tiger temple)
Ferry trip up to see the royal palace
Have a suit made at a taylor.

In general, get plenty of massages and try heaps of food. You can also take a cooking or Thai massage class if that sort of thing floats your boat. Thailand is awesome

Titanic

First Grade
Phuket - Simon's Girly-boy Show
Bangkok - Floating Market and then on to the Rose gardens Cultural Show

Misanthrope

Staff member
This thread certainly saves me making a new one of my own, but I'm open to any extra suggestions you might have.

Flying into Phuket and thinking of 2-3 days there before heading to Phi Phi or one of the Kohs. Then across to Krabi so I can see what all of the Railay fuss is about.

From there it's either straight up to Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, or there via Bangkok.

Got three weeks in Thailand all told (and a week in Cambodia to finish).

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Depends what floats your boat.. In Phuket take a Phang Nga Bay day cruise. Simply amazing, you will visit the infamous 'James Bond' Island. If you had more time in Banglok I would have suggested a day trip to the former Capitol Ayutthaya.

I thought the Bangkok floating market was a waste of time but a long boat on the Chao Praya river is pretty cool as is The Grand Palace.

Wat Pho in Bangkok is a sight to see. Buddhist Temple with the worlds largest indoor reclining Buddha. It is also across the road from the Roayl Palace. Whatever the blokes out the front say, it isn't closed!

Okay...definitely do the following:

Kickboxing in Phuket - fights on every night. Awesome.

Patong clubs and pubs - if you are going to go to a ping pong show make sure you are prepared to pay big dollars for a drink. Watch the pickpockets as well.

Phi Phi Island - but go to James Bond Island. Heaps better.

MBK shopping centre in Bangers - all things fake guaranteed.

Do a Temple Tour in Bangers - very interesting.

Tips: Book all trips on the street in Phuket and not through the Hotel as it will be heaps cheaper and you will get good bargains.

And last but not the least...respect their culture and go with the flow...they don't like arrogance.

Enjoy mate...I am back there in April.

PM me if you want any other info.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Wat Pho in Bangkok is a sight to see. Buddhist Temple with the worlds largest indoor reclining Buddha. It is also across the road from the Roayl Palace. Whatever the blokes out the front say, it isn't closed!

Agreed on Wat Pho. also those who mentioned MBK.. Do not listen to touts on tuk tuk's.. that said for a point a to point b trip they can be fun. I loved it when they told me the Grand Palace is closed for lunch.. I responded 'I didn't know a building needed to eat'.

Last edited:
Okay...definitely do the following:

Kickboxing in Phuket - fights on every night. Awesome.

Patong clubs and pubs - if you are going to go to a ping pong show make sure you are prepared to pay big dollars for a drink. Watch the pickpockets as well.

Phi Phi Island - but go to James Bond Island. Heaps better.

MBK shopping centre in Bangers - all things fake guaranteed.

Do a Temple Tour in Bangers - very interesting.

Tips: Book all trips on the street in Phuket and not through the Hotel as it will be heaps cheaper and you will get good bargains.

And last but not the least...respect their culture and go with the flow...they don't like arrogance.

Enjoy mate...I am back there in April.

PM me if you want any other info.

The only thing I would change is move the Muay Thai from Phuket to Bangkok. Lumpini Stadium has some ofthe best fights in Thailand.

gottabegood

Juniors
Apart what everyone else has said.

Look out for festivals, and join if possible, eg in April is the Water festival "Songkran" basically a mass public water fight, there are many others I've enjoyed, check if anything co-insides when you are there.

For the fun side at Bangkok, I would check out Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy (patpong is the famous area, but I enjoyed the other two).

And really, if you go to Thailand and don't check the madness that is Pattaya, (1 hour from Bangkok) then you really are missing out. I've never seen so many bars and clubs in one place ever....it's nuts.

Eat out on the streets late at night and enjoy the surroundings (Bangkok) , Sukhumvit road is good for this, its very long and is lined with markets as well, and probably more western style restaurants than most places if you feel the need. (Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy are also here)

Get a Thai or any massage, pedicure, facial...why not it's cheap and good.

Hire a motorcycle taxi in Bangkok and enjoy the "ride"...

Watch out for the little kids that sell you gum, beads etc, they are mostly looking to pickpocket...

Try a hands free meal.....

Enjoy

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore
This thread certainly saves me making a new one of my own, but I'm open to any extra suggestions you might have.

Flying into Phuket and thinking of 2-3 days there before heading to Phi Phi or one of the Kohs. Then across to Krabi so I can see what all of the Railay fuss is about.

From there it's either straight up to Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, or there via Bangkok.

Got three weeks in Thailand all told (and a week in Cambodia to finish).

Either expand the Cambodia leg or give yourself another week in Thailand. You could do Pnomh Penh and Siem Reap in a week but it would be pretty unsatisfying. With the way infrastructure is in Cambodia everything is an absolute mission.

If you're in the South, and there isn't a full moon party in sight, try Ko Phangan. It's a cheapish ghost town with some solid beaches and most home comforts. All bets are off when the boatloads of Chavs, Bogans and Israeli's begin to arrive however.

Thailand is really well set up for tourism. They've done all the thinking for you, so you usually have to really f*ck up to find yourself frustrated an out of options. Enjoy!

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's a tough call. We'd originally wanted two weeks in Thailand, 1 in Cambodia, and 1 in Vietnam. I'm already pushing to cut Vietnam and expand Thailand. I'd love more time in Cambodia, but if I only see Angkor Wat and the Killing Fields this time around, I'll be satisfied.

I'd love to do the whole region proper justice sometime, but I think I'd need more than a month :lol: There's still Laos, Burma, Malaysia, and the Philippines to consider too.

t-ba

Post Whore
It's a tough call. We'd originally wanted two weeks in Thailand, 1 in Cambodia, and 1 in Vietnam. I'm already pushing to cut Vietnam and expand Thailand. I'd love more time in Cambodia, but if I only see Angkor Wat and the Killing Fields this time around, I'll be satisfied.

I'd love to do the whole region proper justice sometime, but I think I'd need more than a month :lol: There's still Laos, Burma, Malaysia, and the Philippines to consider too.

Good option. To do things comfortably in Vietnam you need atleast a week per region (South, Central and North) and that's if you're not into trekking. If you split the Vietnam week between Thailand and Cambodia you should be able to do Pnomh Penh and Siem Reap in comfort.

When I was in China I used to head to the big cities in Chinese New Year. Shanghai, Shenzhen and Guangzhou are ghost towns at that time of year and you're not fighting with the usual hordes because nearly every bastard has cleared off home!

Once I'm done with Indonesia (This place seriously has sh*tloads going for it as a tourist destination but it's lost amongst Bali Bogans and the 1% of geniuss who feel the need to blow crap up) I've got Burma on the agenda. But I think I'll be stuck here a while.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I do Shanghai on a monthly basis and don't hate the crowds, but I generally stick to the less popular spots. Seen enough temples.

Never made it much farther south or north (beyond a visit to Hainan) but did do Xinjiang earlier this year. Something else entirely.

I reckon I'm due at least another year here to do the place justice.

Titanic

First Grade
Cambodia has a new attraction opened 20 December (we checked in 21st) ... the Koh Kong Island Resort (an extension of the Koh Kong Bay Hotel on the mainland) is a five hut + restaurant hideaway experience ... words won't do it justice.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't know that I make enough scratch to make that happen, boss man :lol:

EDIT: Actually, just looked into it. Surprisingly affordable! I might just try and pay it a visit :)

Last edited:

my2centsworth

Juniors
Cambodia has a new attraction opened 20 December (we checked in 21st) ... the Koh Kong Island Resort (an extension of the Koh Kong Bay Hotel on the mainland) is a five hut + restaurant hideaway experience ... words won't do it justice.

Geez that does look good and reasonable.

The one thing I always found funny about Thailand was that every second shop was a bar/tattoo parlour/travel agency combined.

We've booked Sri Lanka for Feb...so hoping that is as good as the reports we've heard

Latest posts