What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is a serious side.

slippery5

Juniors
The last time I heard Phil Gould describe us as a serious side was in 2010, when our forwards were inflicting fear in the oppositions attack & Gasnier & Coops were unstoppable out wide.
I admit my concerns at the start of the year was our lack of speed from 2-5 but you know what? it doesn't matter.
I admit I had no confidence in our coach, it doesn't matter.
I admit I thought we should blood others in our prop rotation, it doesn't matter.
I admit I thought we would be on the fringe of the 8, WE WONT.
It doesn't matter how we were conned last year rounds 1-7, you don't have to be Einstein to see this is a SERIOUS SIDE.
Barring numerous injuries we are definitely #1 premiership contenders.
Sorry for being so wrong!!!!!!!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
images

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
While it's great to (obviously) win games, you are seriously kidding yourself if you can't acknowledge that the side hasn't played noteworthy yet,

This refers to those sides that have had sustained success over a prolonged time such as Melbourne, Cowboys and Roosters.

Another area of concern is the lack of speed on the fringes, Neecastle showed the way on Sunday by playing expansive footy. They simply didn't the experience to play laterally for longer. We saw this remains an issue as they scored with ease after only a few minutes.

The sides I've mentioned won't be as generous,

slippery5

Juniors
While it's great to (obviously) win games, you are seriously kidding yourself if you can't acknowledge that the side hasn't played noteworthy yet,

This refers to those sides that have had sustained success over a prolonged time such as Melbourne, Cowboys and Roosters.

Another area of concern is the lack of speed on the fringes, Neecastle showed the way on Sunday by playing expansive footy. They simply didn't the experience to play laterally for longer. We saw this remains an issue as they scored with ease after only a few minutes.

The sides I've mentioned won't be as generous,
No, what I acknowledge is the way we have won those games is like nothing we have experienced. As I said, lack of speed in players 2-5 did worry me. (not anymore). Yes a coach with a plan to not play us at our own game up the middle was always going to happen from someone that thought outside the square ( unlike McNoidea) but this can't be maintained for prolonged periods as at some stage the forward are going to have to do some dirty work, & thats when we belt them & get a turn over. I went to the Titans game & it was obvious they didn't want to run hard at the line, hence their different result this week had nothing to do with their attitude, but more to the oppositions defence from the Broncos, the same with the Knights, when after a few sets the forwards had to roll it up the middle they too were looking for someone else to take a hit up.
The test will be to see how we manage the Melbourne slow wrestle style, which will hinder our attack of our go forward….

Ps.
I don't really care about success over prolonged time, we only need to do it until Sept 30

Drag Queen

Bench
The last time I heard Phil Gould describe us as a serious side was in 2010, when our forwards were inflicting fear in the oppositions attack & Gasnier & Coops were unstoppable out wide.
I admit my concerns at the start of the year was our lack of speed from 2-5 but you know what? it doesn't matter.
I admit I had no confidence in our coach, it doesn't matter.
I admit I thought we should blood others in our prop rotation, it doesn't matter.
I admit I thought we would be on the fringe of the 8, WE WONT.
It doesn't matter how we were conned last year rounds 1-7, you don't have to be Einstein to see this is a SERIOUS SIDE.
Barring numerous injuries we are definitely #1 premiership contenders.
Sorry for being so wrong!!!!!!!
I've been lead down this pathway before. I'm quietly optimistic, but there is no way I'm going to guarantee we are in this comp as winners at this stage. That would be stupid.

Drag Queen

Bench
best side I've seen since 2010. love how our own supporters death ride us. go fk yourselves. where is the straight shooter flog?
Not death riding mate, but just being realistic. We've had an impressive start to this season just like we have in previous seasons. I certainly hope we don't go pear shaped like we have in the past 5-6 years. So far, so good. Hope we keep improving.

Drag Queen

Bench
Wow, 8 years to assemble a half decent team. So impressive.

Straight Shooter
Wowsers you're right. 8 bloody years! I would call this team more than half decent though. Early days yet. A few posters have us winning this comp. I'd be nice but I'm not counting chickens ATM

Frank Facer

First Grade
Not death riding mate, but just being realistic. We've had an impressive start to this season just like we have in previous seasons. I certainly hope we don't go pear shaped like we have in the past 5-6 years. So far, so good. Hope we keep improving.
Those years that we had impressive starts to the season, we were overachieving. We started 15 and 17 off as one of the favourites for the wooden spoon. In 15, I was waiting for the bubble to burst, then when I started to believe, we crumbled. We now have a vastly superior team than we did in 2015 and 2017. Last year we had Mcrone, who was probably the worst halfback in the comp, now we have Hunt, who has already made a massive difference and will improve. Widdop looks to be finding career best form playing behind our dominate tough pack and having Hunt beside him. Last year we had Dugan at fullback, who scored 3 tries in the whole season and 2 the year before. Dugan also provided only a few try assists all last year and the year before. This year we have Dufty, who scored 3 tries against the Gold Coast alone, who is providing try assists and who posses speed. In 2015 Aitken was a rookie, now he is into his 4th season, he still has deficiencies, but is more seasoned than 15. Our pack used to be called soft, no one will be calling our pack soft this year or next either. We probably have the best pack in the comp and one of if not the best pair of halves in the comp. Last year I didn't tip us to win any of our games up until the Anzac day game. This year I have tipped us to win every game so far and will be tipping us again this week.

I think that we will continue to improve. I think Hunt will improve, I think Hunt and Widdop's combination will improve, I think Dufty will improve.

Drag Queen

Bench
Those years that we had impressive starts to the season, we were overachieving. We started 15 and 17 off as one of the favourites for the wooden spoon. In 15, I was waiting for the bubble to burst, then when I started to believe, we crumbled. We now have a vastly superior team than we did in 2015 and 2017. Last year we had Mcrone, who was probably the worst halfback in the comp, now we have Hunt, who has already made a massive difference and will improve. Widdop looks to be finding career best form playing behind our dominate tough pack and having Hunt beside him. Last year we had Dugan at fullback, who scored 3 tries in the whole season and 2 the year before. Dugan also provided only a few try assists all last year and the year before. This year we have Dufty, who scored 3 tries against the Gold Coast alone, who is providing try assists and who posses speed. In 2015 Aitken was a rookie, now he is into his 4th season, he still has deficiencies, but is more seasoned than 15. Our pack used to be called soft, no one will be calling our pack soft this year or next either. We probably have the best pack in the comp and one of if not the best pair of halves in the comp. Last year I didn't tip us to win any of our games up until the Anzac day game. This year I have tipped us to win every game so far and will be tipping us again this week.

I think that we will continue to improve. I think Hunt will improve, I think Hunt and Widdop's combination will improve, I think Dufty will improve.
Bloody hell mate, it's late and I didn't need an essay. For me Widdop is the one kicking arse ahead of Hunt. Dufty is improving but stop bringing up Dugan already. He stopped tries from the opposition Dufty is going well in attack but his defence needs tweaking. Stop putting shit on ex-players and I might show you a little respect. Didn't Lafai get a hat-trick too? You forgot to mention him.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Bloody hell mate, it's late and I didn't need an essay. For me Widdop is the one kicking arse ahead of Hunt. Dufty is improving but stop bringing up Dugan already. He stopped tries from the opposition Dufty is going well in attack but his defence needs tweaking. Stop putting shit on ex-players and I might show you a little respect. Didn't Lafai get a hat-trick too? You forgot to mention him.
No, I will not stop telling everyone what a difference having Dufty in our side is compared to Dugan. Dugan handicapped our attack for four years. Dugan didn't score many tries. Dugan didn't set up many tries. Dugan spend a lot of time on the sideline. Dugan was cumbersome compared to Dufty. Dugan's defence at the back doesn't win games. Dugan took up too much cap space. We only made the semi's once when Dugan was our fullback. I was also saying the exact same things about Dugan when he was playing for us. Now he is Cronulla's problem.

Dufty can be a match winner. Dufty has added another dimension to our attack. Dufty scores tries. Dufty sets up tries. Dufty is quick. So far Dufty's defence hasn't cost us any games. Dufty hasn't missed the team bus either. Dufty is still improving. Dugan's best form for us, was for half a season in 2013. He never recaptured that form.

I am waiting until around two thirds of season to post a thread and poll asking fans who they would prefer us to have at fullback, Dufty or Dugan, like I said I would after Dufty made his debut for us in round 20. You will only get to vote once Drag Queen.

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
No, I will not stop telling everyone what a difference having Dufty in our side is compared to Dugan. Dugan handicapped our attack for four years. Dugan didn't score many tries. Dugan didn't set up many tries. Dugan spend a lot of time on the sideline. Dugan was cumbersome compared to Dufty. Dugan's defence at the back doesn't win games. Dugan took up too much cap space. We only made the semi's once when Dugan was our fullback.

Dufty can be a match winner. Dufty has added another dimension to our attack. Dufty scores tries. Dufty sets up tries. Dufty is quick. So far Dufty's defence hasn't cost us any games. Dufty hasn't missed the team bus either.

I am waiting until around halfway through the season to post a thread and poll asking fans who they would prefer us to have at fullback, Dufty or Dugan, like I said I would after Dufty made his debut for us in round 20. You only get to vote once Drag Queen.
Give it a break. I can't see anyone endorsing you on this thread. The difference this year is we have two forward thinking players that have joined our club. It's definitely not a competition between Dugan and Dufty. Totally different players. One has plays for Oz and the other one is learning his game. What exactly is your point Frank? Make it quick because I'm off to bed.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Give it a break. I can't see anyone endorsing you on this thread. The difference this year is we have two forward thinking players that have joined our club. It's definitely not a competition between Dugan and Dufty. Totally different players. One has plays for Oz and the other one is learning his game. What exactly is your point Frank? Make it quick because I'm off to bed.
I have already made my point. lol I understand, you don't get it. lol I will leave it at that. lol

Dracarys

Juniors
Touch wood but the only side in the whole comp unaffected by injuries is us!
Two blokes I regard as indispensable. If they keep fit & well we'll give 2018 one helluva shake.

Bench
Dughan is gone and he ain't coming back.
It's time we move on and concentrate on our current players.
No more comparing Dugan to Duffy In any shape or form.

Latest posts