What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is why players need someone to babysit them in interviews....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/the-onepunch-rules-is-turning-rugby-league-into-a-grubby-game/story-fndujljl-1226976727873

THE greatest game of all is becoming the grubbiest game of all thanks to the sweeping edict that was designed to clean up rugby league’s ugly side.
That’s the view of NSW hard man Greg Bird, who says the new ‘one-punch and you’re off’ rule is “embarrassing” for rugby league and has left players increasingly frustrated.
NSW players say the ban on punching has led to ongoing grubby, niggling tactics, which could look worse than an occasional punch.
State of Origin II was littered with meek incidents where pumped-up players charged in — but couldn’t throw a punch. Asked had the ‘one-punch’ rule actually made the game grubbier, Bird said: “Definitely.

“There are no repercussions if someone does a face rake or a cheap elbow, something small like twisting the arm.
“Any player can do it. You have halfbacks slapping back-rowers in the face.
“I asked Andrew Johns after the game — and I was standing there with Gorden Tallis — and asked if he would have slapped Tallis in the face back in his day and he said ‘not a chance because he’d bash me’.
“But I would do it now because he wouldn’t be able to do anything.

“It’s people trying to get you off your game.”
The NRL introduced the ‘one-punch’ edict after a well-publicised punch-up between NSW skipper Paul Gallen and Queensland’s Nate Myles during last year’s Origin series.
Gallen though has stated publicly he hates the look of players rushing in and grabbing jumpers.

NRL management wanted a cleaner image — but players feel differently.
NSW players have not forgotten Johnathan Thurston’s sly elbow to Josh Reynolds’ face late in Origin II at ANZ Stadium.
“I have heard ‘Gal’ talk about it before and I am with him,” NSW and Sydney Roosters backrower Boyd Cordner said this week.
“I think it is embarrassing for the game, just coming in pushing and shoving. It looks stupid.
“I don’t think it’s a good look. I think players do it because they know they aren’t going to get hit in the head or get punched.
“It would probably be better if they came in and started throwing them. But you can’t anymore because you get weeks on the sideline.”

Cordner agreed that pushing and shoving only increased on-field tension.
“It’s a contact sport so there’s going to be some tempers that boil over,” he said. “Sometimes it would be better to just get it over and done with and out of the way.
“In saying that, it’s not a good look for the game so we have to protect that side of things.”
Origin III in Brisbane next Wednesday night could well spill over, given it is a dead rubber.
One former rugby league star said: “All this pushing and shoving ... it’s like AFL or soccer.
“Let the players sort it out. The grubby tactics looks worse on TV than the odd fight.”

These people are f*cking morons!!!

We wonder why NRL is considered a sport for bogans and thugs, then you hear something like this...

"I should be allowed to punch people in the face because thats how normal society works"
- The great Paul Gallen (pictured here)

i-can-count-to-potato.png

This is why players shouldnt be allowed to talk.

The NRL needs to put some seriously good Brand Managers into every club just to filter shit like this from being said by players in public....

Last edited:
Out of all the articles you could pick to show how players say stupid things you chose this one..... there's been far worse said.
What Bird has said here is correct. There's no repercussions for niggling now because your opponent can't retaliate.

some11

Referee
Sorry but I agree with them, a stink is a pressure reliever and frankly the shit that goes on in tackles if you don't allow them to relieve the pressure is worse than punching on.

gUt

Coach
Pressure from scumbags like news forced this change, now they want to ridicule the code for taking steps.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Typical moron logic!

Instead of allowing punching, they should be penalising the niggles. Obviously. If they want to punch on, climb into a boxing ring and spare those of us who would rather watch a football match.

insert.pause

First Grade
What a load of garbage, punching has never been legal and the only thing stopping it from happening now is the players self control because they don't want to be binned, that same self control is what the players possess in relation to grubby tactics, the game needs to grow up, players are paid to play football, bird is a grub because that's how he chooses to play football, and he's been a grub well before the mandatory sin bin came into effect.

Matchball

Bench
Has Australia come this far as a whinging society that nobody can voice their opinion on the game?

Who gives a f**k?

Rod

Bench
Meh, I agree with Bird TBH.

The game wasn't thuggish when punching was 'allowed' (I use that term loosely since there were still consequences a lot of the time). A couple of years ago you could go easily go 2+ rounds of NRL without seeing a single punch thrown (and another couple of rounds on top of that to see one hit its mark).

The ban was just a typical overreaction because of the Gallen incident in Origin.

insert.pause

First Grade
Meh, I agree with Bird TBH.

The game wasn't thuggish when punching was 'allowed' (I use that term loosely since there were still consequences a lot of the time). A couple of years ago you could go easily go 2+ rounds of NRL without seeing a single punch thrown (and another couple of rounds on top of that to see one hit its mark).

The ban was just a typical overreaction because of the Gallen incident in Origin.

It's in line with community expectations, if you want to watch fights, watch boxing. Grubs have always been apart of the game, it's the referees responsibility to penalise them.

People blaming the one punch rule for the grubby second origin game should ask themselves why the first game was one of the best? It has nothing to do with the one punch rule.

Last edited:

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Cordner - "I don't think it's a good look for the game"

and players punching each other is such a great look for the game? what a bunch of tossers some of these players are. NFL is one of the most professional, best looking and run games in the world and you throw a punch in a game you are thrown out. it's not the 80's anymore. you want punching watch boxing or MMA not football.

Spot On

Coach
Typical moron logic!

Instead of allowing punching, they should be penalising the niggles. Obviously. If they want to punch on, climb into a boxing ring and spare those of us who would rather watch a football match.

And just who is going to be penalising these niggly incidents?

eozsmiles

Bench
All those fights in ice hockey certainly destroying the game...

That's true. That's why they had a massive crackdown on fighting some time ago. They had to do something, it got to the point where the Stanley cup was being beaten in the TV ratings by spelling bees and seniors golf tournaments. Fighting and violence had virtually killed their game.