What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This time last year, Phil Gould was right… like him or loathe him..

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A book could be written about the JV that is STGI. I'd call it "Power-Failure".

Now, i'm not against the JV, as what was first reasoned as to why it happened had considerable merits. We even see the results of this yesterday with 4 of our brightest hopes for the future coming out of the GF winning Steelers SG Ball team, and with the next wave making the GF this year, again from the Steelers (the Dragons teams nowhere in sight).

Our leadership is our achilles heal. Not talking coaches, but leadership from the very top. The fish rots from the head as many have already pointed out. The BOD are the major hinderance to our success. Who, in their right minds, leading a major corporate brand, instigates a policy that they cant get voted out? Who, in their right minds, allow the fact we are now seen to have only 1 premiership, and the time prior to the forming of the JV, basically wiped? Who, in their right minds, suggest a 100yr anniversary, and do nothing to make it a celebration?
Why, do we need to continue to play games in the 'red rag"?
When was the last time we heard from Andrew Gordon?
WINS' takeover of the Illwarra side of the venture was just a business transaction based solely on achieving 'revenues' for the network. The football side wasn't and isn't a concern for the Gordons. I doubt if your contacted Andrew Gordon today and ask him what was the score in our game yesterday, he wouldn't have a clue.

2 'home' grounds, kilometres apart, one being shared by another club. 2 (or more) sets of jerseys. Jobs for the boys etc.

Doust, the instigator of most of this. And now he is on the Board.

"The shroud of the dark side has fallen"

One wonders how different we would be if TSE, the higger bidder, was chosen.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Gould was right about Hook, he will be laughing his head off and what Hook is doing atm
It’s pretty hard to judge hook yet until he’s built his own squad. Problem with Mary was we couldn’t get a signing to save our life. We have now got rid of a heap of dead wood and have some nice additions like McGuire, Molo, Sua and Mbye all on the cheap. Say for example Hook is not resigned next season, he has set us up with a lot more competitive pack, a lot better salary cap position, some money to spend and some juniors with valuable game time under the belt.

Coffs dragon

Bench
A book could be written about the JV that is STGI. I'd call it "Power-Failure".

Now, i'm not against the JV, as what was first reasoned as to why it happened had considerable merits. We even see the results of this yesterday with 4 of our brightest hopes for the future coming out of the GF winning Steelers SG Ball team, and with the next wave making the GF this year, again from the Steelers (the Dragons teams nowhere in sight).

Our leadership is our achilles heal. Not talking coaches, but leadership from the very top. The fish rots from the head as many have already pointed out. The BOD are the major hinderance to our success. Who, in their right minds, leading a major corporate brand, instigates a policy that they cant get voted out? Who, in their right minds, allow the fact we are now seen to have only 1 premiership, and the time prior to the forming of the JV, basically wiped? Who, in their right minds, suggest a 100yr anniversary, and do nothing to make it a celebration?
Why, do we need to continue to play games in the 'red rag"?
When was the last time we heard from Andrew Gordon?
WINS' takeover of the Illwarra side of the venture was just a business transaction based solely on achieving 'revenues' for the network. The football side wasn't and isn't a concern for the Gordons. I doubt if your contacted Andrew Gordon today and ask him what was the score in our game yesterday, he wouldn't have a clue.

2 'home' grounds, kilometres apart, one being shared by another club. 2 (or more) sets of jerseys. Jobs for the boys etc.

Doust, the instigator of most of this. And now he is on the Board.

"The shroud of the dark side has fallen"

One wonders how different we would be if TSE, the higger bidder, was chosen.
Spot on Dragonslayer & you nailed it ✅

denis preston

First Grade
The important thing, and what most good clubs do, is able to spot talent and nurture it. If they are no good they get rid of them, not hanging onto them and praying that they improve in the next 2 to 3 years. While Mary and Hook might not be the best coaches, the first 13 minutes of yesterday's second half is all down to a piss poor effort by the players. Blaming half time speeches to me is nonsense. As FCD said above, how much impact does a speech really have? And if it does, what does that say about the character of the player and team if they need someone to tell them to pull their finger out or what they are doing wrong. We were playing ok in the first half, scored right on halftime and had the momentum. Unlikely Hook or any other coach would have said "we have this game so don't worry about tackling or putting in the effort boys".

In an ideal world I would only keep half of our team. The rest are free to go. It's not as if we would be letting going of a consistent semi finals team or god forbid a premiership winning team.

Sims to me has been a real disappointment. He played out of his skin against Newcastle earlier this year as well as in SOO but can barely recall any other top performance he put in. If he did, that's 3 or 4 games out of over 20 rounds. And he is supposed to be one of the experienced players and leaders. Can't recall the last big hit he put on to inspire his team. You can't use the excuse he is playing with better quality players at SOO as putting on a hit is an individual effort. You don't need to have an immortal standing next to you to put on a hit.

He has to be one of the better players for the Dragons. Can't believe he has only been dominant in 2 or 3 games since the semi against the Broncos.

The_Frog

First Grade
Gould was right about Hook, he will be laughing his head off and what Hook is doing atm
The article linked at the start was written long before Hook's appointment. Anything Gus says about Hook is based on their personal falling out at Penrith. For this season, its hard to look past the barbie at Vaughan's place against coach's orders as the point it fell apart, and losing Hunt didn't help. Three wins from 8 after the BBQ would have got the team into the finals.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
He has to be one of the better players for the Dragons. Can't believe he has only been dominant in 2 or 3 games since the semi against the Broncos.
That’s why i’d start him from the bench next year. It lowers the the team expectations and forces others to step up. Simailar to Bird. I think they are VERY effective bench players and would really compliment the team from there when they come on. Having said that they would then push some of the other regulars out of the team. We need two more strong forwards next year to go to the next level imo

Problem with Mary was we couldn’t get a signing to save our life.

Hunt
Vaughan
Graham
McInnes
T Sims
K Sims
Thompson
Marshall
Lafai
Norman
Packer
McDonald

There’s others too. But that’s a list the major ones McGregor got I can recall. People can make their own judgments on the quality but to me there’s some quality players amongst that lot.

*Joel Thompson signed in 2013, as did Widdop but can’t recall if it was when Price still had the top job or not.

Dorsai

Juniors
Personal opinion. The 2nd half of this season since the BBQ has sucked the guts out of my support. I hope like hell each week for a miracle and get very disappointed. As a Dragons supporter of 50+ years the McIdiot years were hard to take. This year I think we all thought a light had been turned on and we would somehow shoot to the top end of the table. I must admit I thought that as well.

We are in a rebuilding phase. Other teams do it. We recognise that. They are shyte during that phase and hopefully come out the other end a better group. We have a mis match of a playing group with some players capable of brilliance. The trouble is most of that brilliance has been coached out of them over the last 8 years.

We, as hard as it is, need to put our pride away for a bit to see where the team goes from here. I myself look at some of the signings and say WTF? But I have got to think, we have junior players that need some guidance. We need some experience on the field whilst we rebuild. That is why most are short term signings. Give these younger players a chance to play with talented player, yes in their latter years, but talented all the same and build skill sets.

None of us are patient. I know I am not. Most Dragons supporters were used to featuring in this end of the premiership race, even if we eventually get knocked out. At least we almost always got there. Its hard to sit back in the semis and not see the Red V feature in these games.

I am reluctantly willing to wait and watch whilst Griffin builds his team. A bit here, a bit there. He is getting them cheap. He is bringing the juniors through. Something McIdiot never did. I have no issues with the players he has let go yet. You either play for the team as part of thee team or play somewhere else. I wish there was more meat on the bones of some of these young players like Sloan and Ramsey. They have talent. We have a wealth of it there just waiting. I agree we need to have some experience there to guide them as well so I will give him a chance. Hell we had McIdiot there doing squat for 8 years. I at least see some method. I think we need to be a bit patient.

All these big forwards next year should allow these slight backs to perform better. Gain confidence and give them room to showcase there wares. We need 1 or 2 marquee signings and I think he is on the right track.

We do need however to get behind the team. Maybe not the board or the hangers on. Separate those cronies. Lets concentrate on the team. I am willing to hold my vote to see where Griffin is going for a bit longer.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Hunt
Vaughan
Graham
McInnes
T Sims
K Sims
Thompson
Marshall
Lafai
Norman
Packer
McDonald

There’s others too. But that’s a list the major ones McGregor got I can recall. People can make their own judgments on the quality but to me there’s some quality players amongst that lot.

*Joel Thompson signed in 2013, as did Widdop but can’t recall if it was when Price still had the top job or not.
That list does not do the argument many favours😂Hunt is good this year but let’s be honest he never performed under Mary and we way overpaid for he and half those others.
Further to that all the good ones were early. By the end we had become a no go zone. Our cap is a mess. What Hook is doing will set us for years. Unfortunately for him it will be the next coach to reap the benefits. He’s doing the thankless task of building depth and balancing our cap while bringing players through.

That list does not do the argument many favours😂Hunt is good this year but let’s be honest he never performed under Mary and we way overpaid for he and half those others.

well he did sign players…

For mine, Hunt McInness Graham T Sims, Thompson Packer n Vaughan (the good one, not the one he became in the last 12 months) were all top signings. And Marshall was a good snare but a season in rugby wasn’t conducive to the performances he had earlier in his career. But we made the finals with Marshall and he played his guts out in the dogs semi which we could/should have won.

Hunt struggled a bit though when Widdop was out n left us.

PS - I love Forbes. Spent a lot of time in Parkes and headed down to Forbes a bit.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
well he did sign players…

For mine, Hunt McInness T Sims Packer n Vaughan (the good one, not the one he became in the last 12 months) were all top signings. And Marshall was a good snare but a season in rugby wasn’t conducive to the performances he had earlier in his career. But we made the finals with Marshall and he played his guts out in the dogs semi which we could/should have won.

Hunt struggled a bit though when Widdop was out n left us.

PS - I love Forbes. Spent a lot of time in Parkes and headed down to Forbes a bit.
Haha I’m not from Forbes, I’m from a place called Forbes Creek, it’s near Captains Flat.

Spot on Dragonslayer & you nailed it ✅
Agreed. @Dragonslayer .

Especially the 100 year thing. We had one round (1st game against the Dogs) where it has seemingly been recognised with the hooped jerseys…

Which were absolutely awesome!

Apart from that, WTF have they done of anything real significance to recognise such a milestone. Apart from play like shit (a signature Dragons quality)?

What dumbarse or dumbarses thought that, rather than play in a traditional alternative strip like that blood and bandages cracker… let’s make a red one with a pattern on it that looks like a bad attempt at playing Tetris….

For any jersey clashes wheel that puzzle one out if they must..

That epitomises the lack of intelligence, awareness, foresight that has been a signature of the Dragons of the last decade.

The article linked at the start was written long before Hook's appointment. Anything Gus says about Hook is based on their personal falling out at Penrith. For this season, its hard to look past the barbie at Vaughan's place against coach's orders as the point it fell apart, and losing Hunt didn't help. Three wins from 8 after the BBQ would have got the team into the finals.
The BBQ was bad but the signs were awful much earlier in the year for mine. We’ve only had one decent win against decent opposition this year - against the Eels. The BBQ was just icing on the shitcake served up all year.

Personal opinion. The 2nd half of this season since the BBQ has sucked the guts out of my support. I hope like hell each week for a miracle and get very disappointed. As a Dragons supporter of 50+ years the McIdiot years were hard to take. This year I think we all thought a light had been turned on and we would somehow shoot to the top end of the table. I must admit I thought that as well.

We are in a rebuilding phase. Other teams do it. We recognise that. They are shyte during that phase and hopefully come out the other end a better group. We have a mis match of a playing group with some players capable of brilliance. The trouble is most of that brilliance has been coached out of them over the last 8 years.

We, as hard as it is, need to put our pride away for a bit to see where the team goes from here. I myself look at some of the signings and say WTF? But I have got to think, we have junior players that need some guidance. We need some experience on the field whilst we rebuild. That is why most are short term signings. Give these younger players a chance to play with talented player, yes in their latter years, but talented all the same and build skill sets.

None of us are patient. I know I am not. Most Dragons supporters were used to featuring in this end of the premiership race, even if we eventually get knocked out. At least we almost always got there. Its hard to sit back in the semis and not see the Red V feature in these games.

I am reluctantly willing to wait and watch whilst Griffin builds his team. A bit here, a bit there. He is getting them cheap. He is bringing the juniors through. Something McIdiot never did. I have no issues with the players he has let go yet. You either play for the team as part of thee team or play somewhere else. I wish there was more meat on the bones of some of these young players like Sloan and Ramsey. They have talent. We have a wealth of it there just waiting. I agree we need to have some experience there to guide them as well so I will give him a chance. Hell we had McIdiot there doing squat for 8 years. I at least see some method. I think we need to be a bit patient.

All these big forwards next year should allow these slight backs to perform better. Gain confidence and give them room to showcase there wares. We need 1 or 2 marquee signings and I think he is on the right track.

We do need however to get behind the team. Maybe not the board or the hangers on. Separate those cronies. Lets concentrate on the team. I am willing to hold my vote to see where Griffin is going for a bit longer.
I agree with a lot of what you say..

On the juniors though, Mgregor did bring a number of them through. When Griffin turned up he talked of a junior structure, bringing them through etc… but aside from Sloan and Amone, (both used sparingly) who else has been given their first taste of NRL?

Instead he’s signed guys like Beale, McGuire, McCullough. We even were looking at Israel effing Folau at one point…

I could live with the results and (rightful) position on the ladder now if Griffin had bought through a bunch of juniors Into grade rather than has-beens and crocks like he’s signed. That would be a true investment in the future.

Instead we’ve now got numerous juniors who haven’t played competitive level Rugby league for the most part of 2 years. And hasbeens/crocks still blocking a path in the top flight.

Latest posts