What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This time last year, Phil Gould was right… like him or loathe him..

Dragon David

First Grade
I wonder which of the two joint venture clubs will be the first to successfully overcome the poor ladder positions of the past few years and finish in the top 8? We did it in 2018, however, the Tigers have not since 2011!

With all of the dramas that have been going on at the Wests Tigers, will they improve next year or will they continue the way that they have been and will they actually sack Maguire sometime in 2022. Will we improve or suffer the same fate?

I'm thinking that we will get to be in the top 8 before the Tigers.

blacksafake

First Grade
I wonder which of the two joint venture clubs will be the first to successfully overcome the poor ladder positions of the past few years and finish in the top 8? We did it in 2018, however, the Tigers have not since 2011!

With all of the dramas that have been going on at the Wests Tigers, will they improve next year or will they continue the way that they have been and will they actually sack Maguire sometime in 2022. Will we improve or suffer the same fate?

I'm thinking that we will get to be in the top 8 before the Tigers.
Well if we don’t it’ll be embarrassing

What a bullsh....t,scam that was.Put in place by our dysfunctional "Board". They must think, we as fans, are total morons...The Stgeorge/ill Board, are out of touch with their members & Fans. The sooner we can eliminate these f**kn parasites, the better.
My recollection is seemingly very different…

Gould was invited in and met with Paul McGregor and Brian Johnston, maybe others too but no one above Johnston. It’s was a few days at most, and not a “root and branch” review through the whole operation…

Johnston resigned not long after and Gould has stated since that as a result, he had no idea if any of his recommendations (whatever they were) went anywhere up the chain at all..

But he did publically say that sacking the coach would not solve any of the issues at the dragons.

So even in such a small amount of time he saw enough issues to suggest this. Had he stayed longer who knows what else he’d have found.

He didn’t recommend nor endorse anyone’s sacking or the like.

BBTB

Juniors
My recollection is seemingly very different…

Gould was invited in and met with Paul McGregor and Brian Johnston, maybe others too but no one above Johnston. It’s was a few days at most, and not a “root and branch” review through the whole operation…

Johnston resigned not long after and Gould has stated since that as a result, he had no idea if any of his recommendations (whatever they were) went anywhere up the chain at all..

But he did publically say that sacking the coach would not solve any of the issues at the dragons.

So even in such a small amount of time he saw enough issues to suggest this. Had he stayed longer who knows what else he’d have found.

He didn’t recommend nor endorse anyone’s sacking or the like.
He wasn't allowed to review the coach in other words,he wasn't allowed to include McGregor. Johnston apparently left for family reasons. To look after the family farm,as his brother became ill.But the stories that surrounded his departure where totally different. He didn't want to be apart of Gordon's debacle. And the shambolic Gould
Review.

He wasn't allowed to review the coach in other words,he wasn't allowed to include McGregor. Johnston apparently left for family reasons. To look after the family farm,as his brother became ill.But the stories that surrounded his departure where totally different. He didn't want to be apart of Gordon's debacle. And the shambolic Gould
Review.
Who has ever come in from an external review and said “you gotta sack the coach”.

Whatever reason Johnston left for is his business and I’ve got no problem with it, but when he did it’s unknown what happened with Gould’s advice (if anything). If it’s shambolic it’s not because of Gould.

BBTB

Juniors
Who has ever come in from an external review and said “you gotta sack the coach”.

Whatever reason Johnston left for is his business and I’ve got no problem with it, but when he did it’s unknown what happened with Gould’s advice (if anything). If it’s shambolic it’s not because of Gould.
It was a bullshit review, concocted by the slimey board to make out they where actually doing something positive. At the time half the club,wanted McGregor sacked.

Agreed, Gould's hands where tied. The Board only trying to appease the members.
But why say to Gould, McGregor is not tobe included in this review?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Would not have made any difference. Gould defended Mary anyway. Said the coach was not the problem they had deeper issues. It was on 100% footy at the time they sacked Mary. They brought it up with him and he was feeling all sorry for Mary and saying he was a good coach.

Trifili13

Juniors
Would not have made any difference. Gould defended Mary anyway. Said the coach was not the problem they had deeper issues. It was on 100% footy at the time they sacked Mary. They brought it up with him and he was feeling all sorry for Mary and saying he was a good coach.
Maybe Gould will get Mary to replace Barrett after he fails like he did at Manly?

denis preston

First Grade
Review.
What a disappointment was Johnston, a very weak CEO who couldn't lead.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Mary had his time and good luck in the future. Hook has had 1 year and it was a testing one but we have got rid of a heap of dead wood, got plenty of game time into some young guys and recruited some very handy players. Mary would likely have had us in the same or worse position, probably barely played the young guys and I doubt we would have been able to sign Sua, Molo and Burgess. At the end of the day we had another average season but a season in which a lot things changed which will help us moving forward as opposed to one where nothing changes. Mary had nearly a decade, surely Hook can see out his contract.