What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thommo's corner - Our 2003 lesson

Southernsaint

Staff member
FROM THE OFFICIAL SITE:

THOMMO'S CORNER: OUR 2003 LESSON
3 September 2003

Now that we're out of the race for the National Rugby League finals, we've got to learn from the experience to make sure we get back in the play-offs next year.

In the past few years we've found ourselves in the situation where we have to win our last couple of games to make the finals.

I'm not sure why that is. During the year we'll have to apply ourselves a lot better. We have a habit of beating teams when we're expected to lose but we've got to also get up in the games we're expected to win.

We're all learning - the players, coach Nathan Brown, assistant coach David Barnhill - and we'll be a better team in 2004.

But before we can worry about next year, we have to make sure we put in a good performance on Friday in Brisbane.

The Broncos have gone into a pre-game camp so we've got to go into battle with a good frame of mind. I'm not going to say we'll win or lose but if the boys put in a big effort, you can't ask for more than that.

Our loss to Newcastle at Kogarah last weekend was probably to be expected if you compare their team with the amount of top players we had out injured. On paper, Newcastle looked to have our measure - we had a lot of good performers but the Knights had loads of classy State of Origin and Australian players, and that made it hard for us.

The boys tried hard, apart from the last 20 minutes when we let in a few tries - that was the most disappointing part of the day.

Timana Tahu scoring three tries on Ben Creagh showed their advantage in experience - I think Tahu would have done that to just about any other winger. Benny will learn from the experience and take a leaf out of Tahu's book in the future.

Brisbane's strengths: their front row pair Shane Webcke and Petro Civoniceva is up there with Jason Ryles and Luke Bailey as the best in the business. They test you physically and mentally by bashing you until you break.

Their weaknesses: their confidence will be down after losing six straight. We cannot let them get ahead because they're confidence will return very quickly.

The X-factor Bronco: with Andrew Johns out injured, Brisbane full-back Darren Lockyer is the best player in the game at the moment. The Broncos rely on him so much.

St George Illawarra's strategy: our game plan should be to go out there and work as a team together. We've got to move their big guys around the park and get our nippy players darting out quickly to get them back-pedalling.

What we need to improve: the 10 and 20-minute lapses are still hurting us, as they have done all year. We fell asleep last week and Newcastle burnt us. If we do that against Brisbane, it could get messy.

Dragons to watch: I've been watching our 18-year-old prop Ashton Sims get better and better each week. He is such a big, raw-boned young man and once he gets more experience under his belt, he is going to be massive in more ways than one.

Jimbo

Immortal
Southernsaint said:
We cannot let them get ahead because they're confidence will return very quickly.

Yep. That's the Lance Thompon we know so well...

:lol:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Jimbo said:
How many points are your 13 going to let in this Friday? 80?

I don't know, but I'm sure we'll all have a laugh about it in the sheds after the game :roll:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
Jimbo said:
Jimbo said:
26Aug:
I'd rather my team concede 74 points with 10-11 men...
Jimbo also said:
... than concede 70 points with a full 13

:lol: That cracks me up even more. You're effectively saying it's allright to get flogged by 74-4 (and blame the ref... LOL) because Saints were done by 60 points over three years ago... by far the dumbest excuse for logic Ive read in a long time. :lol: :lol:

Jimbo

Immortal
I wouldn't expect you to understand it Willow. You're a Dragons supporter.

I'm surprised you can even spell 'logic' :p

Jimbo

Immortal
So, you managed to fluke a win against a side in the worst form slump in their entire history.

Wow, you guys are going to be Premiers next year...

:roll:

Moffo

Referee
Dragons to watch: I've been watching our 18-year-old prop Ashton Sims get better and better each week. He is such a big, raw-boned young man and once he gets more experience under his belt, he is going to be massive in more ways than one

Lance hasn't jump the fence has he? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

Southernsaint

Staff member
Jimbo said:
So, you managed to fluke a win against a side in the worst form slump in their entire history.

Jimbo, it's getting tiring putting you back in your place every week. Maybe you would be better served spending less of your time in here & more of it at Sharks International (!!) looking for the "winning culture" that The Cardiac Kid is always going on about.

Gutsy win by our First Division boys against a side stacked with Origin & Internation reps playing on their home ground.

Cheers,
ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
Jimbo said:

Thats quite a comeback. Ever thought about saying nothing at all instead nothing worth saying?

Anonymous

Juniors
Moffo said:
Dragons to watch: I've been watching our 18-year-old prop Ashton Sims get better and better each week. He is such a big, raw-boned young man and once he gets more experience under his belt, he is going to be massive in more ways than one

Lance hasn't jump the fence has he? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo
LOL... trust you to pick up on the double entendres Moffo. We've all gone off half-cocked sometimes and let out the odd boner or two.. sometimes before we even get the pencil moving... but at least he didnt say that Sims is a man's man.
But really, well spotted Moffo. Ashton Sims is big and probably raw boned as well... whatever that means. But he is going to great year in 2004. Another strapping young lad to look out for is Ben Creagh.
:D

Dan Jackson

Juniors
Jimbo said:
Southernsaint said:
We cannot let them get ahead because they're confidence will return very quickly.

Yep. That's the Lance Thompon we know so well...

Isn't his name Lance Thompson? Can't you spell, dummy? Why is a Cronulla supporter even coming onto the mighty Dragons page? Is that envy? Get back to your own page tubby!

Latest posts