What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston charged

Will they suspend Thurston?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red Bear

Referee
I think its suspension worhty but nothing will happen. If it were a few other players it'd certainly be a suspension tho

mattyg

Bench
no chance he'll get done, but he deserves 1-2 weeks based on similar tackles which have been suspended this year.

LESStar58

Referee
I don't see how he could get suspended for it.... the warriors player was running full steam at him and it looked like Thurston just got him awkwardly and the momentum the NZ player was going at caused him to fall funnily. Didn't help that there was a 2nd Cowboys player in the tackle.

Maybe during the season he'd get a spell but I think it's unfair if he does for the prelim and (possibly) the GF...

Azkatro

First Grade
Fast Eddie said:
Nothing will happen because it is Thurston + it's in the finals series.

I remember Michael Luck was nearly suspended for a week during the regular season with a tackle which was much less worse that Thurstons.
What????

Tommax25

Bench
dont think it was too bad but regardless he wont be suspended, he could have knocked his block off with a purposeful elbow to the jaw and he'd get off nrl wont suspend their biggest drawcard

gong_eagle

First Grade
tackle.jpg

Thurston risks ban for tackle

Brad Walter | September 17, 2007

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...9635.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1JOHNATHAN Thurston turned in another stunning performance to help dump the Warriors from the finals in Townsville yesterday, but later admitted he would wait nervously to learn whether he would face a judiciary charge for a dangerous throw.
Playing behind a cut-price forward pack and with his regular partner in crime Matt Bowen appearing limited by a heavily strapped right thigh, Thurston was sensational as he steered the Cowboys to victory before a boisterous 21,847 crowd at Dairy Farmers Stadium.
While the heat may have been a factor, it is clear that any side that gives an opposition with Thurston calling the shots more than 50 per cent of possession is in big trouble, and the Warriors paid a heavy price for their poor ball security.
Like Andrew Johns used to at Newcastle, Thurston can lift his teammates with his mere presence, and rival sides seem to expend so much energy defending against the halfback whiz that they have no spark to do anything meaningful when they get possession.
But few would give the Cowboys hope of toppling Manly next Saturday night if Thurston is unavailable, and the NRL player of the year said he would anxiously await news from the match review committee today to find if had been charged over a dangerous throw on Wairangi Koopu in the fourth minute of the match.
"I didn't think there was much in it, but it's not for me to decide," Thurston said. "I don't think I've really been in this position before so I've just got to wait and see."
North Queensland coach Graham Murray added: "It's something that is out of our control now, particularly myself and Johnathan, so we'll let someone else have a look at it. Johnathan made a tackle, and they've got to have a look at it, I suppose".
While Murray made it clear he wasn't referring specifically to the Thurston incident, Warriors captain Steve Price said the Cowboys would find it difficult to progress any further in the competition if their already hard-hit playing stocks took a further blow.
"It's going to depend on injuries and suspensions and all of that stuff," Price said. "They're going to come up against a Sea Eagles side that is fresh and will be fired up because they're playing for a grand final. It's like this week, do or die - one team leaves the island and the other one keeps going."

voltron

Juniors
He lifted, turned and drove
probably worth a couple of weeks
but now in the finals series it definitely wont happen
they wont risk losing him for a semi and possibly the test in the November

innsaneink

Referee
Reminds me of Woolfords tackle on I think a Rooster last year or 04???
He copped a lot with his loading, but it wasjust a good tackle using the attackers momentum, gone slightly wrong.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
would normally be worth a week or two but no way will they suspend him in the final series

they have shown in the past that a final series gets treated differently